New Bergs Hunt in WY?

elks96

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Dec-17-18 AT 09:11PM (MST)[p]Fogured it put on part 2. Recognized a spot...

>>Do you have a link?
>
>
>https://youtu.be/9chIYseHoK4
>
>
>Cool hunt. Watch day 1 to
>see the other bulls he
>passed on. I thought
>he mentioned he burned 9
>points... when it leaks it
>will become max points

Randy stated it took 2 below max for Matthew to draw the tag when a guy stated they hunted a max point unit, which was 12 for 2018. He didn't say whether he put in for the regular or special draw, but some thought it was unit 100. If it gets out exactly what the unit was you can bet that if it wasn't already a max point unit it will be for 2019 just like you mentioned.

>Anyone know what unit Randy and
>his son hit with Buzz?
>It has to be a
>trophy unit. I am just
>curious as I am researching
>and looking to cash my
>points in about 5 years
>from now...

Anyone that answers this question deserves a swift kick in the nuts

>>Anyone know what unit Randy and
>>his son hit with Buzz?
>>It has to be a
>>trophy unit. I am just
>>curious as I am researching
>>and looking to cash my
>>points in about 5 years
>>from now...
>
>Anyone that answers this question deserves
>a swift kick in the
>nuts

That's for sure, but someone will recognize the area and be stupid enough to spill the beans. It beats the heck out of me how many people mention numbers of good units and the lurkers quickly put in for them and up goes the PPs real quick!

It can happen in many units like that, hit a 3 point unit one year and saw a herd of 100 with 10 6x6s and one monster one morning...went back 3 years later and had a hard time finding an elk!

It's not unit 100 and Randy was a little off on the 2 less than max statement. Max was 12 last year the unit they hunted took more than 10. It's no secret, that unit will be max points for years to come now.

Good area, fun hunt.

999373.jpg

Enthusiastic hunting partner....

195974.jpg

>His sons not tv material, great
>elk.

Why, does it take something other than normal to be "tv material"?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-19-18 AT 00:28AM (MST)[p]I think I figured it out. And I'm not happy.

"Go hunt for meat at Walmart."

The exact unit was posted on another forum.

The unit is a typical Newberg special. The unit has a lot of property issues and there may be times that elk do not move out the private to public.

It can be a very frustrating unit. You can sit there and watch elk on the private all day long or drive around all day and not see them on the public at all.

There is a sizable ranch that has the goal to buy every ranch in the area, so they can outfit the elk hunt in the area.

It is a high risk and high reward area.

You could drop max points on the unit and not see any massive trophy elk on public ground and end up with a young bull.

You could drop max points on the unit and get a trophy elk on opening morning that came off of the private.

Note: If you figure out the unit and hunt during September archery, watch for rattlesnakes. Snakes are absolutely everywhere in that unit.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-20-18 AT 09:47AM (MST)[p]It's really no secret about the unit, plenty of publications, services list it as a premium unit. I'm sure the show will cause some inflation of applicants and will be max points only. Access is and always has been an issue and has gotten progressively worse, there will likely be a few point holders kicking themselves in the a$$ for applying. It's no cake walk and lots of people will likely be watching masses of elk on the wrong side of the fence or in inaccessible checkerboard. A few that have the $$$$$ will shell out and have a good hunt, but you can do that in about any unit if you're willing to pay for private access...
http://fenderimages.com

>The exact unit was posted on
>another forum.
>
>The unit is a typical Newberg
>special. The unit has a
>lot of property issues and
>there may be times that
>elk do not move out
>the private to public.
>
>It can be a very frustrating
>unit. You can sit there
>and watch elk on the
>private all day long or
>drive around all day and
>not see them on the
>public at all.
>
>There is a sizable ranch that
>has the goal to buy
>every ranch in the area,
>so they can outfit the
>elk hunt in the area.
>
>
>It is a high risk and
>high reward area.
>
>You could drop max points on
>the unit and not see
>any massive trophy elk on
>public ground and end up
>with a young bull.
>
>You could drop max points on
>the unit and get a
>trophy elk on opening morning
>that came off of the
>private.
>
>Note: If you figure out the
>unit and hunt during September
>archery, watch for rattlesnakes. Snakes
>are absolutely everywhere in that
>unit.

Bingo....hunted it a few years ago, pulled with zero points/random. No one mentioned the wind is howling EVERYDAY. Go for it, your points.

We had three tags in there this year, hunted the exact country as they did, I mean exact!
Killed 3 decent bulls, like a lot of comments above it is frustrating at times but o so good at times as well. We never saw any ?monsters? but we killed good bulls. Sucks that I'll probably never get to hunt it again now!

A guy I work with went down a week ago and shot a cow in 15 minutes. He said there were 300 - 400 head right off the highway.

Anyone interested in this elk hunt...send me a PM and I can fill you in on the details. I hunted it hard a few years ago and know the unit well!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-18 AT 07:50AM (MST)[p]Jim,
Hows it going buddy? You did hunt the snot out of that place.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-18 AT 08:12AM (MST)[p]>Anyone interested in this elk hunt...send
>me a PM and I
>can fill you in on
>the details. I hunted
>it hard a few years
>ago and know the unit
>well!

The more I think about the sh**storm you started on Hunttalk(of course Randy made you look like a fool), the more I think you are the one violating the guide law on compensation. You advertise to share with someone else's points(which cost money) to your benefit, then you guide them in the area.

Boom!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-24-18 AT 09:41PM (MST)[p]>16-2. For anyone still wondering.
>

Thanks for giving all those who won't do their homework and just lurk around looking for the easy way out. Your username is well deserved and you should refer to post #5 above about getting kicked in the nuts! Hope you're happy!

Topgun you have blowed your horn long and loud enough. If I had a dollar for everytime you have told somebody to go to 45 or G I could go on a hell of a hunt. You are on how many forums spouting this over and over. You are a keyboard clown and a hypocrite besides. The draw odds were not ruined by a couple guys saying where a hunting show was filmed. I would have thought a Wyoming expert who spends 8 weeks a year hunting would have that figured out.

>Topgun you have blowed your horn
>long and loud enough. If
>I had a dollar for
>everytime you have told somebody
>to go to 45 or
>G I could go on
>a hell of a hunt.
>You are on how many
>forums spouting this over and
>over. You are a keyboard
>clown and a hypocrite besides.
>The draw odds were not
>ruined by a couple guys
>saying where a hunting show
>was filmed. I would have
>thought a Wyoming expert who
>spends 8 weeks a year
>hunting would have that figured
>out.

Nice Christmas childish rant newbie. How about you blowing your horn somewhere else.

Merry Christmas everyone!

>Topgun you have blowed your horn
>long and loud enough. If
>I had a dollar for
>everytime you have told somebody
>to go to 45 or
>G I could go on
>a hell of a hunt.
>You are on how many
>forums spouting this over and
>over. You are a keyboard
>clown and a hypocrite besides.
>The draw odds were not
>ruined by a couple guys
>saying where a hunting show
>was filmed. I would have
>thought a Wyoming expert who
>spends 8 weeks a year
>hunting would have that figured
>out.

Merry Christmas to you too newbie!!! FYI 45 and G have been at the top of the list for elk and deer, respectively, for many years and still are, so they aren't a secret and both are huge areas. I doubt that my agreeing on the net with persons that want to hunt either of those areas and ask about them on this and the one other website that I'm on frequently has had a negative effect on draw odds like the show in question or the information businesses like Eastmans, Huntin Fool, etc. publish to screw up your draw odds. Normally I would have just responded with a "bite me" for your less than pleasant post, but after all it's Christmas and Jeff has me in a good mood, LOL!

PS: I'm also smart enough not to mention on any website the units that I actually hunt.

Yep Topgun 30-06 because it is a huge secret that a fat old man hunts antelope in Wyoming.How many diffrent places had this rated as a top hunt and you guys act like he gave out your general tag honey hole.

>Yep Topgun 30-06 because it is
>a huge secret that a
>fat old man hunts antelope
>in Wyoming.How many diffrent places
>had this rated as a
>top hunt and you guys
>act like he gave out
>your general tag honey hole.
>

Okay, now with that stupid followup post that shows you're just being a jerk, I'll say bite me and read the post JM77 made telling you to take it somewhere else. One thing though and that is that I'm a young 71, am the perfect weight for my height (5'10" and 162#), and can probably walk most guys into the ground that are 10-20 years younger than I am. I also hunt deer and elk every year out there along with antelope with friends in their 40s and 50s and keep up just fine for my age.

Spoken like a guy with no chance to draw it aparently... Thanks for nothing.

>>====Hostess Donettes Pro Staff=====>

For the few in the know...that tag wont be a max point unit for long.

The times, they are a changing...

I predict some very disappointed hunters that draw it this fall.

>Spoken like a guy with no
>chance to draw it aparently...
> Thanks for nothing.
>
>>>====Hostess Donettes Pro Staff=====>

It makes it easy to look at it objectively.

#livelikezac

>Can proposed quotas be viewed yet?
>

The Final Regulation with the totals for each unit aren't posted until the latter part of April after their game counts are completed. That still gives a person until the end of the application period on 5/31 to see how those compare to last year and decide where to apply.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-28-18 AT 02:13PM (MST)[p]

Proposed quotas are usually available 3rd week of March so the public has them for comment at the public meetings. NR Elk quotas used for the early draw required a public info request the last time I got them. Those quotas are the only ones that can be changed from the prior years approved numbers without Commission approval.

Topgun,

"That still gives a person until the end of the application period on 5/31 to see how those compare to last year and decide where to apply."

You're talking about the res application period aren't you? I believe that the non-res elk application period is still just January for 2019 & the G&F is changing the non-res elk app period in 2020.

>Thanks WB, that's what I wanted
>to know. I can never
>remember that stuff.

Sorry man, as I was talking about deer and antelope and forgot this thread was strictly talking about elk and your question was for this year before the date is changed next year to match the others.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom