New Bow or Not

hunter1975

I'm interested in some opinions.

I've drawn a limited entry archery deer tag in Utah which I did not expect to get this year and I need to make a decision. I have a Hoyt CyberTec from around 2003 I've shot for years, and I shoot it well, but have not really archery hunted with it much the past few years. It is in good shape, except for maybe a new string, but I keep hearing how great the newer bows are. I have just over two months until the hunt starts. Should I even consider working into a new bow, or just possibly replace the string and stick with the bow I know?

You know how your bow shoots. Do you have a local shop or any archery store near you? If you can go and shoot a new one, that would be best.

It really depends on how much you want to spend. A new string is going to run you anywhere from $60-100, depending on where you go for that. What about all the other stuff? Sight? Rest? Stabilizer? Release? Arrows? If you go with new everything, you could easily spend $700-1500.

I would shoot a new one and decide if you think the difference is worth all that coin.

Also sent you a PM.

That ain't a camel toe, that's a moose knuckle!

If you have the cash to drop on a new bow and bow set up, you have plenty of time to get it shooting good, and you will be blown away after shooting a new one compaired to your old one.

My advice if you dont have the money to buy a new one, then dont go shoot a new one cause is all thats going to do is make you want one. LOL

That being said im sure the bow you have will do just fine.

Jake H. SHED OR DEAD IT DONT MATTER TO ME!!!
458738e374dfcb10.jpg

if you decide to just do strings should look up piranha bow strings the best on the market imop !!!

I've found that I can only shoot a bow so good, I had a Cybertech and could shoot that bow probably better than any bow I have ever shot. Whatever you are most confident with, if you can shoot your Hoyt good and are comfortable with it, I say stick with it. It is real easy to get caught up in the newer is better mentality......imo

I will go chronograph some stuff tonight and get back to you, but I just bought a new bow to replace my old one and I am pretty sure I gained somewhere around 100 FPS. And I am shooting a 430 grain arrow. It is also much quieter. Old bow was a $299 PSE package deal in 2004ish. New bow is fancy and expensive. I don't even know what my old arrows weigh, so I don't have all the data for you, but I do have a much flatter trajectory. I have missed a lot of deer in that 20-40 yard range because of wrong pin or steep (treestand) angle, unknown exact yardage etc. I feel more confident now, and I am sure I am not done missing, but I think I have helped myself out by upgrading. But wow, it gets expensive real fast! I could have bought another bow for what I spent on accessories and arrows.

Bows have come a long way since then and you would likely gain some serious performance, but all that aside, never "new bow" yourself out of something you know you shoot well and are confident in, especially with a primo tag in your pocket. I've made that mistake before.

IF ITS TIME FOR A NEW BOW.......THEN ITS TIME !!! ONLY YOU KNOW FOR SURE !!!!

I RECENTLY BOUGHT A HOYT RAMPAGE XT, WHAT A PLEASURE TO SHOOT. I SHOOT A FMJ 340 WITH A SHUTTLE T LOCK AT 64 LBS.......SEEMS TO BE THE TICKET.

NEXT BROAD I WANT TO SHOOT WILL BE THE SLICK TRIX FOR COMPARISON SAKE. DO SLICK TRIX ONLY COME IN A 4 BLADE MODEL?????..........THANKS.........YD.

As promised:

Old bow: 240FPS

New bow: 309 FPS...and I can dial up 10 more lbs of pull when my muscles can handle it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom