new gun decisions

utarchery

ive been toying with the idea for some time now about a new gun and ive narrowed it down to a 6.5-284 or a 28 nosler. id like to have a little input from all you "gunnies". what has your experience been with these calibers and why. how about ballistics? reloading pros and cons, etc. thanks in advance

It all depends on how heavy of bullets you want to shoot . 6.5x284 is very accurate, mild recoil, excellent Lapua brass and well proven with 140 grain bullets. 28 Nosler will shoot much heavier bullets at a higher velocity,with more recoil ,factory ammo is an option, but reload for best results. Both are a great choice, do you want 140 grain bullets at 2975 FPS or 180's at 3100 ?

What is the general purpose of the rifle? What game do you mainly hunt? Do you want a light rifle? Heavy rifle? Barrel length? Are you building a rifle or buying factory?
Both of the cartridges you listed are good and have good brass and bullets available for factory ammo and reloading.

thanks native, how about the recoil with a brake?

cahunter, I would like it for deer and elk and maybe a speed goat in the future. My fiance will be hunting with it also. im not too particular about weight, if I could find a lighter gun, id go for it. I will do a little building on it and I will be reloading

If elk are on the list the 28 Nosler is a no brainer. or on the other hand you could split the difference and go with a 7mm Rem Mag.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

The two cartridges that you listed are way different so decide what you really want.

With elk on the menu, I'd go with the 28 Nosler but you'll pay the price with additional recoil and noise and more than likely a heavier rifle..

Or, Keep your 300 Ultra mag for your dedicated elk rifle and build a dedicated deer, sheep, antelope rifle in any of the 6.5 caliber cartridges. I'm quite partial to the 6.5 WSM but it would need be a semi-custom affair. Reloading is a snap with simple neck sizing, load and shoot. The 143 ELD-X sizzles in this cartridge!

6.5 Creedmore, 260 Rem or 6.5X284 would all be great choices for a lighter package.

Like was asked above: what WEIGHT rifle are you looking for? This will help determine what the appropriate cartridge choice would be IMHO

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-16 AT 01:35PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-16 AT 01:34?PM (MST)

thanks deer slayer (ZEKE), that helps to put things more in perspective. I planned on keeping the 300 rum and .243 but would like more than a 243 but less than a 300 rum. so maybe I will look into a 6.5mm cartridge. The lighter the better I suppose.

bigjohnt, im not familiar with a 6.5x300 weatherby... i will do some reasearch

> How about a 6.5 x
>300 Weatherby ?
Got one,no load data out yet but shooting the Barnes 127 grain and and accurate to 800 yards !

28 nosler will be an expensive beast to shoot. To my knowledge, Nosler brass is all that's available and its over 2 bucks each.

But.....it looks like one helluva round. Beltless and up to 300 fps faster than the AI with similar bullets. I'm a fan of heavier bullets but I'd love to chase elk with a 28 Nosler.

I dont mind doing a semi custom gun but I dont want to deal with fire forming brass and all that jazz that come with the AI calibers.

ZEKE, what is your definition of semi custom? as in your 6.5 WSM?

>I dont mind doing a semi
>custom gun but I dont
>want to deal with fire
>forming brass and all that
>jazz that come with the
>AI calibers.
>
>ZEKE, what is your definition of
>semi custom? as in your
>6.5 WSM?

First, the 6.5 wsm is a wildcat but you just form them by sizing the neck and good to go. Semi-custom in that you need a barrel chambered for the round since it's not a factory round. Might be a downer for you.

Second, the 289 AI is a factory round and factory brass is available.

Zeke

In the November issue of American hunter. They have a article on the 6.5 x 300 weatherby. With the Barnes 127 grain LRX they are coming out of the barrel @3531 fps. They claim it is the fastest and hardest hitting 6.5.

>
>
>Mine was just about that
>3540,the ft pounds are amazing.
>

From what I have read . A nice gun and a awesome round. I have a lot of big guns. I have have been thinking of a smaller fast one. How is the recoil ?

it comes with a muzzle break,there is some recoil but not bad.I put the Leupold vx6 3-18 30mm with the side focus.

The 260 and the 6.5 creedmore (sisters) shoot the same projectile at the same speed for all practical purposes.

Either one is a great choice for a mild manner shooter with a larger bullet than the 243 but the identical case size. Barrel life is excellent but they're not considered race horses by any means.

I was building a creedmore and still will but other projects got in the way. Namely, a 6.5x280 AI wildcat. Neck down 280 AI brass and outside neck turn and go have fun at higher velocity than the venerable 6.5x284.

Damn, I like guns!!!

Zeke

Again, the 264 Win Mag or 7mm Rem Mag sound exactly like what you're looking for.

New and improved or odd and obsolete doesn't gain you anything over the tried and true.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

thanks for the input. id like to stay with a lighter recoil than the 7mm and 264mag but im curious of how far i can shoot with a 6.5 or 260? long range?

If your gonna build a gun then I would look at a 260 rem or 6.5-284. If your gonna buy a production rifle then buy a 6.5 creedmoor. Lots more choices for rifles and factory ammo with the creedmoor.

I have a Savage lr fluted in 6.5x284 that is a tackdriver but it needs a long action and is close to 10lbs ready to hunt. The 6.5x284 has a bit of an edge on the others in velocity and effective lr hunting distances but I would believe they all could take game at 1000 yds provided the rifle/shooter are good enough. Personally my skill and rifle put me to 700 yds so its a non issue.

So if it was me, I would go find what felt the best to me in 6.5 creedmoor for a production rifle and if I was going to build a 6.5 custom, I would give Travis Redell @ Rbros rifles a call and have a discussion about exactly what you want the rifle for and want it to do. Good luck

LAST EDITED ON Mar-03-17 AT 08:28AM (MST)[p]>The 260 and the 6.5 creedmore
>(sisters) shoot the same projectile
>at the same speed
>for all practical purposes.
>
>Either one is a great choice
>for a mild manner shooter
>with a larger bullet than
>the 243 but the identical
>case size. Barrel life is
>excellent but they're not considered
>race horses by any means.
>
>
>I was building a creedmore and
>still will but other projects
>got in the way. Namely,
>a 6.5x280 AI wildcat. Neck
>down 280 AI brass and
>outside neck turn and go
>have fun at higher velocity
>than the venerable 6.5x284.
>
>Damn, I like guns!!!
>
>Zeke

Damn Zeke, that one sounds fun...

How far can you shoot with a 260 ? not far. a 140 gr bullet traveling slow isn't a long range set up.

if you think a 26-28 caliber magnum has too much recoil then the 270 Win might be just what you need. one of the most popular rounds in history for good reason.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

>
>
>How far can you shoot with
>a 260 ? not
>far. a 140 gr
>bullet traveling slow isn't a
>long range set up.
>
> if you think a 26-28
>caliber magnum has too much
>recoil then the 270 Win
>might be just what you
>need. one of the
>most popular rounds in history
>for good reason.
>
>
>
>
>
>

440 really makes a bunch of sense here.

There's a lot to be said about using something that is PROVEN and COMMERCIALLY available. You've got to really be "into it" to deviate from the tried and true stuff.

Since I have that "standard" stuff too, I find it intoxicating to play around.. but it isn't for most because it takes so much time and effort with almost no measurable gain, if any!

Everyone in coming from a different place so the opinions will be diverse.

Zeke

>
>
>How far can you shoot with
>a 260 ? not
>far. a 140 gr
>bullet traveling slow isn't a
>long range set up.
>
>

I guess I should tell my .260 that it really wasn't making hits last week on all those steel targets from 200 out to 1400 yards....

My 7MM RM with a brake has less recoil than my wife's .270.

"You can fly a helicopter to the top of Everest and say you've been there. The problem with that is you were an a$$hole when you started and you're still an a$$hole when you get back.
Its the climb that makes you a different person". - Yvon Chouinard

>Great choice! What bullets do you
>plan to shoot? What barrel
>and twist rate?

Thanks, Ill be shooting 140gr bergers, the barrel is an xcaliber with a 1:8 twist!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom