New Guy-Introduction

Elkduds

Finally joining after lurking for some time. Have enjoyed learned from many posters here, now I am hoping I can contribute.

My name is Mark. I have lived and hunted in CO for 50+ years, on both sides of the state. Currently in CO Springs. Last year I returned to archery hunting after many years, now with a bad shoulder and a crossbow. Most of my hunting has been w rifle, and has focused on elk for several decades.

As a result, I have accumulated a lot of PPs for deer. I plan to use them hunting the "buck of a lifetime" in 2015. I won't say how many pps online, in case I am competing w someone else for a one-and-only tag. Suffice to say I could have drawn any tag in the state in '14, did not apply because I thought point banking might return and I could use points on multiple hunts. It appears that won't happen.

So I am here to share discussion about what is the best buck hunt in CO currently. I also hunt elk multiple seasons most years, and have hunted much of CO. Happy to share that experience w those who are interested. But I'm rambling...

So let's talk about the best 2015 buck hunt in the state!

Welcome to MM! Lots of good guys on here. I have no clue about big buck units. I am saving mine for a 76 archery tag...hopefully next year:) Good luck and again welcome!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-26-14 AT 04:52PM (MST)[p]Welcome!
I'm curious as to what size buck you would be happy with? And do you plan to hunt with; a rifle, crossbow, bow or muzzleloader?

Best of luck in your pursuit!

Thanks for the friendly welcomes. I believe a shooter deer would be 190+, hoping to hold out for a 200. Who knows what I would decide w boots on the ground? A rut hunt w rifle sounds good. Can't shoot a bow any more. A muzzleloader or early high country hunt is a possibility, even an RFW hunt. I have a permit to use Xbow during regular archery season, so the long season is attractive. I'm up for any and all considerations, and I have about 4 months to decide.

4th season with lots of deer numbers and lots of public wintering grounds

Thanks again for the replies and PM's. Great stuff! Would you consider a hunt starting several days into the 1st week of Dec to still be a rut hunt? Central CO, 8K elev? Or is the rut pretty much done by then?

Everything I have heard is indicating CO unit 44, 4th season. I haven't hunted the unit but have heard from multiple credible sources it is the best. Let us know after you decide and draw your tag. Then lets hear about the story! Good luck.

44, 4th is the consensus by far, so far. Permit me to repeat my earlier question: Pearl harbor Day, Dec 7, 8K elev, central CO mountains. Is the rut stil active by then, roughly this time of year? Or about when did it wind down? Again, many thanks, U all rock.

If anyone made it to 44 this year for 4th season, was it dry and warm? Mostly looking @ those areas above Eagle and Gypsum. Any monsters taken there this year?

Welcome
Are you set on hunting 2015 ?
In 2016 the season starts a week later may be something to consider.

4th season starts 11/16/16, which is 5 calendar days (1 week) later than 2015, d/t Leap Year. Now if I could find an accurate long-range weather forecast...
2016 is an option, I may have a conflicting hunt in mid Nov '15. Good idea. I'm surprised nobody has suggested any RFW hunts during the rut.

Since Non- Res can not draw a RFW tag I don't have any info and that's probably the case with many Non-Res.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom