New here!!

Jbouler

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I'm strictly here to learn. I'm mainly a southern whitetail hunter but it's time for me to start my archery mule deer hunting. I really enjoy what I've read so far and I'm looking forward to getting my chance at a muley in the future.
Thanks, Joe

I'm 29 and I'm from the south (Alabama). I'm gonna start my DIY muley hunts next season. I'm gonna learn as much as I can before tackling a hunt. I'm all for spot and stalk. I don't own a rifle lol...strictly archery. I hear muley hunting is addicting so I'm here to start my addiction I guess.

"If you really want to do something, you'll
find a way....if you don't, you'll find an
excuse" - Jim Rohn

Thanks

excuse" - Jim Rohn

Welcome. MM is full of good folks. And one or two that will get under your skin. When learning something new there is no dumb question even if some will try to make you feel that way. Have you picked out a State that you want to hunt next year? Pros and Cons to each State. Good luck and enjoy the journey.

DZ

Thanks for being a first time poster and not asking where all the deer hang out. Usually first timers this time of year after the draws are over come on here and just want someone to tell them where to hunt. Good luck in future Muley hunts, archery or rifle it's very addicting.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-02-16 AT 08:06PM (MST)[p]thanks guys. i'm not new to the out of state hunting deal so i know how locals feel about non residents just using them to find places to hunt. i'm not like that. i like to find my own spots and i will share them on the forum and if people would like to share some better opportunities then great, if not, that's fine also. i know how hard public land hunting is because that's what i do and for someone to think that a fella, who has worked hard to find his game, is just gonna tell you where they are frequenting....he's a bit out of touch with reality. i love DIY hunting. it's not about the kill but the experience for me. i've been blessed to be able to hunt 5 states and so far the furthest west i've been is oklahoma for turkeys. as of now i'm looking into NW nebraska around chadron for mulies/antelope next fall. the wife is gonna be going also and she likes southeast wyoming. those are it thus far but i'm looking more and more every day. this will be my wifes first out of state archery trip so i'm trying to find an area with a little easier terrain. she's not ready to tackle a back country hike in trip yet...i don't think i am either lol. thanks for the responses and hope you guys are having a good year thus far.

P.s. where are all the deer at? just kidding.

excuse" - Jim Rohn

Welcome to MM. If you are seriously considering Wyoming, be sure to buy preference points in the next couple of months. It could make a difference in where you can hunt next year.

Best of luck.

Dear Jbouler & Wife

Welcome to MM'eys. Bring others your age so you'll have, someday, a group.

The one thing I, a New Guy learned after joining MM'eys just months ago is that there is a treasure trove of very nice people who post. Maybe even a larger number who seldom or ever post and just read.

I am NOT educated in today's world of going to a Western State's Big Game section in say January to May and selecting a zone/unit to Hunt. I normally hang out and post in Campfire, a more relaxed casual place in my views. This General Hunting site is a great starting point and your attitude will take you far in others accepting you.

Since I know zero about your financial abilities and TIME to leave Home, one goofy idea is to contact Guides in New Mexico to Idaho and ask if you may volunteer as a helper for free. If accepted you will be around clients whom usually do have money and have Hunted almost everywhere. Time spent afield and in the evenings around such men and women is the most valuable self gift to yourself insofar as getting up to speed from a young age.

If you found a Guide/Outfitter with Horses/Mules, there may be a need for a "Camp Cook". That's a position either you or your wife could fill. It is not as easy as it sounds but it's a venue to become well accepted "If your Food is Good and always available". A Camp Cook will be up working hours before the Hunters and going to bed, long after others. I consider it an Honored Position. So; That path is beginning #1.

#2 May be to look online at all Western States Big Game regulations, develop solid questions and Post such questions in that State's forum here on MM'eys + in either Campfire or here under General Hunting. I have learned Ladies are very good at this so your Wife may be your best asset and, it's a Team effort.

Like I mentioned, I am not the best to ask but wrote the above because that is what I would do. May sound "Out-of-the-Box-Thinking" but it is a way to get smart and very fast.

While learning in the off season, maybe get a 2nd, 3rd Job to gather $$$ to set aside and not touch. Place it in an envelope, hide it and never allow it to be a temptation for Bills, Gear or Christmas. If you and your Wife at a young age can adopt such serious dedications, the rest will take care of itself.

Jagerdad :)

Welcome. On behalf of the greeting committee(I nominated myself) a few things to know.

#1 We apologize upfront for TRISTATE. I am pretty suprised he hasn't trolled your post already, but its a matter of time. Yes he is actually a person. In fact from his work, a pretty talented one, but for every one post of his work(taxidermy) you will be forced to put up with 1000 of his "intellegent" posts.

#2 You have to pick pro or con $fw(SFW). Rules are rules, your either a crip or blood.

#3 You should also think about your stand on Long Range, drones, trail cams, ATVs, and state or federal land ownership(a big one in western states).

#4 Enjoy this place. Founder created a cool site where we ##### at each other, hate one another, critique everything, and everyone, yet much like the most families, we come together in support of the continuation of the sport. (Unless you are pro $FW, long range hunting, drone flying, roadless snob who supports Utah owning the land, then we don't want you!!)

#5 Your from the south, you should apologize to us for TRISTATE!!!

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

Thanks guys. Due to my work schedule I will only have 3 weeks at a time to get things done. I work a 3 on 3 off schedule and with a 4yr old and wife I'm limited on my hunting due to spending what time I can with my daughter while trying to hunt and do all other chores. I actually have started assisting on a job while I'm home to make extra money for just trips. I'm gonna be purchasing a good spotting scope and another pair of binocs. Currently have vortex Diamondbacks but will go with vipers or razors. Nw Nebraska (around chadron) is really starting to look good to me. I've heard of a few good deer coming from there. Guess we will see what the future holds. Thanks for all the replies thus far!!
Joe

excuse" - Jim Rohn

>Welcome. On behalf of the
>greeting committee(I nominated myself) a
>few things to know.
>
>#1 We apologize upfront for
>TRISTATE. I am pretty
>suprised he hasn't trolled your
>post already, but its a