New Late season muzzleloader hunt proposals

nebo12000

The dwr is proposing adding 6 new late season muzzy hunts--
Statewide Changes
1. We recommend adding 6 additional limited entry muzzleloader deer hunts. These hunts would occur on
general season units that are exceeding management objectives of 18-20 bucks per 100 does.
They include 1) Fillmore, 2) Monroe, 3) Plateau, Boulder/Kaiparowits, 4) Plateau, Thousand
Lakes, 5) South Slope, Yellowstone, and 6) Wasatch Mtns, East.

What do you think?
They are also proposing allowing magnifying scopes on muzzy's.

I like the idea. These hunts can be very fun hunts, like the old days. Some of my fondest memories of hunting as a boy involve snow and my dad and grandpa with their muzzies. As seen by the hunts introduced this year, many hunters will happily burn anywhere from 0-9 Bonus Points for such a hunt. These hunts would help with the current LE Point Creep (a little) and will not remove very many more animals from the herd (assuming tag numbers are rather limited).

As far as magnified scopes on Muzzies. I'd be against that. If we're going to keep it somewhat primitive, let's keep it somewhat primitive. With new in-lines and magnified scopes, you're shooting a rifle and many guys are now killing deer at 200 yards and more with their muzzleloaders. That's stretching it. (I don't want to debate "primitive" here-its been done).

One of those units I'd love to have a late-season muzzy tag for. Having been there and knowing the country, I imagine there are tons of deer in the lowlands surrounding it during a late-season hunt. That could be very awesome.

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

LAST EDITED ON Oct-29-15 AT 11:20AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-29-15 AT 11:19?AM (MST)

I miss the muzzy hunt being in the late season. As for magnified scopes, I'm for it. If we are allowing modern muzzleloaders, many people are taking shots beyond the limitations of open sights and non-magnified scopes already. A magnified scope will help make the difference between an ethical shot and a wounded animal.

If we don't allow magnified scopes then let's go back to traditional equipment only. By traditional I would say sidelocks and flintlocks only. No rangefinders allowed. That's the only way to have a primitive hunt.

For someone to use a modern muzzleloader and or a rangefinder but not wanting magnified scopes seems hypocritical to me. Allowing guns that fire 250-300+ yards but not allowing the hunter to see the target they are shooting at seems to promote unethical shooting.

Excellent idea, and I think they need to open up on more units as well. It will break people up in the point pool and provide more opportunity for deer hunts. It's about time they do this!

No on the scopes, that's a dumb idea. Keep it somewhat primitive. You can shoot 200+ as it is now. That's plenty for a muzzy hunt in the rut.

At last WB meeting, it was explained that 1x scopes actually make the target look smaller. Our eyes are about 1.8x power,. So the discussion was about how much magnification should be allowed. I don't see anything in the proposal limiting what magnification power could be used.

>Excellent idea, and I think they
>need to open up on
>more units as well. It
>will break people up in
>the point pool and provide
>more opportunity for deer hunts.
>It's about time they do
>this!
>
>No on the scopes, that's a
>dumb idea. Keep it somewhat
>primitive. You can shoot 200+
>as it is now. That's
>plenty for a muzzy hunt
>in the rut.

If we are going to keep it primitive, let's go flintlock and blackpowder only. The cat has been out of the bag since modern inlines and b.p. substitutes came along.

I like the idea, depending on dates and quota.

This year I bought a 1x Vortex for my ML, I like it. Makes a big difference in my accuracy. I don't see any reason for more power, except to provide those with fancier equipment a better opportunity. The ML hunt is what it is because some people view open sites and 1x as a disadvantage. If you allow more magnification in optics, it will change the demand for ML tags, and likely cause some point creep.

Also, good luck getting everyone who has purchased a modern ML to give that up for a traditional. Ain't happening.

-WB

Robb I think it's just the same dates as the gen muzzy bull tag. Not late enough to burn a lot of pts imo.

there is no way yellow stone unit is over objective just spent 20 days on that unit between the elk and deer hunt it was tough even to find a deer. or even a buck my hunt group had 7 tags only filled 2 . we all hunt on horses away from roads. this year deer totals were the worst every seen . may be to many cow elk hunters .dead elk every where.left to rot .why may be filling deer tags early a

We shouldn't be hunting bucks in November period. They make it through all 3 seasons and then get a little girl crazy and get shot on this late hunt. I don't care if it's only a few tags. No nov buck hunting until we have 600,000 deer in the state again. Good hell let them breed the does for hell sakes, without being hunted.

Thanks Russ

That is what I figured...

I shoot open site so I don't really care one way or the other on modified scopes

Robb

>there is no way yellow stone
>unit is over objective just
>spent 20 days on that
>unit between the elk and
>deer hunt it was tough
>even to find a deer.
>or even a buck my
>hunt group had 7 tags
>only filled 2 . we
>all hunt on horses away
> from roads. this year
>deer totals were the worst
>every seen . may be
>to many cow elk hunters
>.dead elk every where.left to
>rot .why may be filling
>deer tags early a

Well why?

How'd you like Huntin the Most over Hunted Unit/Area in the State?

Add all the Hunts up & show me any Relaxed Time for the Mule Deer?

The UDWR Boasted after the Hunts Last Fall We still had 18 Bucks per 100 Does & added 2,000 more Tags,JUDAS!

Show me the Bucks & show me how many Herds of 100 Does We have Total!

She's about Stomped Out!

Go Ahead!

Make Me take it down!

9001hank2.jpg

It just amazes me that any one In their right mind would buy into the dwr,s bs. It's all about the money period. What the h..l is this buck to doe ratio thing. 18 bucks to 100 does, that doesn't tell anybody nothing. So I guess their are 18 bucks and 100 does on that unit, I can believe that though.

The only way I would want this hunt to be implemented if: (1) the buck to doe ratio was higher and (2) the deer came off of private land to rut/pre rut on public making them accessible to the public.

I would only be in support of magnified scopes on muzzies if and only if we could trade them out completely for rifles. That would be awesome.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom