New Mexico AMU 20 - Unit 17

jasn

I drew my first non-resident tag in new mexico this year, an archery antelope tag for AMU 20. It looks like this unit is basically unit 17 for elk and deer which many are familiar with. I'm planning a short scouting trip this summer and have a few questions for those familar with the unit. PMs are welcome if you're not comfortable posting online.

1). In the regs it looks like I only have a few days before season to scout state land? Is this correct, or what do I need to do in order to scout before season?

2). Should I be contacting a private land owner for access? If so who or does anyone have recommendations?

3). I was planning on camping on national forest land, but can I even camp on state land? Is there a better recommendation nearby?

4). What size antelope should I expect to see and be holding out for? 65, 70, 80 incher?

Any other places to start my scouting are welcome. Thanks in advance, if you would like advise in another state let me know and I will help if I can!

i drew antelope rifle this year after 23 years of applying. i drew unit 12 right across the street from you. that area has the largest goats in the nation. i c 80 plus inch goats in that area on the regular basis. i would definitely hold out for 80 but then again ur weapon choice really limits u. u can scout state lands whenever but state trust lands only 2 days before the hunt. theres lots of blm land in there so u should b able to make something happen

ego participate in Monasteriense muleys proinde ego sum bardus (I participate on monstermuleys therefore I am stupid)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom