New Mexico unit 12

1manshow

Can anybody with any info on this unit please pm me...I have a chance to buy a land owner tag for unit 12 and i would like to know what kind of bulls i would expect to see....i tried doing a search and did not have very good luck..Thanks in advance...1manshow

Be careful, there is one guy who is a rip off. He works hard to sell his ranch. It is terrible and a waste of money. I would know his name if you mention it. Call the game and fish NM and get hold of the warden that works that area and tell him the name of the person selling the tag. He will tell you if its good. NOW there are some ranches in 12 that have some nice bulls. These will be 3k plus tags though. The northwest area of the unit would be best, I believe. There are big bulls in certain areas. Most of the unit is very scattered herds.

I would call the game and fish guy. His name is Misha. He can verify the name. I believe it may be Tom. But you owe it you him and you to verify.

Unit 12 private tags are for the most part no good. NMDGF way over prescribe tags for the ranches and the elk, if any leave on the first hunting day. I don't believe you will be very happy at all unless it is the york ranch or the hubbel ranch. Just my two cents. Hope this helps.

4a1df3ee0ef8dc53.jpg

Thanks for the heads up guys.....I will need to look into this alittle more.....Thats what i like about this forum....You never know unless you ask....manshow

1manshow, I have a question? Unit 12 seems to be mainly private, what are the reasons for wanting to buy a unit 12 tag when NM has so many great units? Just curious.

Joe E Sikora

Hi Joe....the reason that i was asking about unit 12 is because i have two friends that will be hunting that unit and i want to join them....I have never hunted elk before so any info on what to expect would be great before i buy a landowner tag....

Hi 1manshow, sounds like fun. Sorry, I don't know that unit I have only hunted the northern part of the state. I would do what was said before and contact NMGF. that would be your best bet. Have your friends hunted this unit before?

Keep us informed. I like to know what G&F has to say.

Joe E Sikora

Unit 12 is a tough unit to hunt because of all the private land. Is the land owner tag a ranch only or a unit wide tag? And where is the ranch located in the unit. To the north you have the Hinkson, Atarque, and the Mazone ranches which are pretty much all private good luck getting on one of those. All around the town of Quemado at the south end there is alot of private too. Around the Tejana mesa there north quemado there are always some nice bulls but the private land makes it hard to get in to it. The southern part of the unit has alot of state land better for goat hunting.

I am familiar with unit 12. There are not any unit wide landowner tags, only ranch only. Elk in unit 12 roam quite a bit, crossing several ranches a day depending on the size of the ranch.

If the tag is for a large ranch, it might be worth it, there are some nice bulls in unit 12.

One other thing to know, is that the landowner tags are for only the private deeded lands and do not include any leased public lands.

Any rancher who tells you can hunt on the leased is wrong, and if you get caught off the deeded, you're busted.

TT

If I were hunting unit 10 or 12 in NM I would definately go with Olin no questions asked!! Dude gets it done on big bulls and monster muleys year after year!!

~Z~

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom