new scope for my '06

fisrtcoueswas80inches

Very Active Member
so, this year i am either going to buy a new 300 weatherby mag or a new scope for my rifle. im leaning towards just going with a new scope for my rifle. i want to get a good scope for around 500 this is going to be my investment for the year so i can afford some bills. what is a good idea? i was thinkkin of some kind of leupold because u cant go wrong with them but where should i buy from? any suggestions on scopes? i would also like to try to get a silver one, dds,where did you get your scope? what kind is it? i was loooking at a nikon titanium, how are they?
casey

Casey,
I was in the same dilemma earlier in the summer. I opted for the new scope. I bought the VariX III 6.5-20X40. I then sent the scope to a company called Premier Reticles to get the mil dots added in the crosshairs. Check out their site. http://mysite.elixirlabs.com/index.php?uid=5465&page=1869. I have my scope zeroed at 200 yards and mil dots added every hundred yards to 600. You can even buy the scope from them too. I may have, had I known, but I got mine from bearbasin.com. It was the cheapest price I could find, $509. I'm getting it back this week, just in time for my 21 hunt. I've always guessed how high I should hold the shot, now I just range him and put the appropriate dot right on him. No more guessing. I've watched other guys with tactical scopes and that was always way to complicated and confusing to me. No more guessing! Hopefully I'll be posting my huge buck here within a few weeks.

Josh

i was thinkin about going with a leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20X 40mm Silver (AO) (Fine Dplx) for 519 i believe fro bear basin, hopefully, by the time that i have the money, they will me on sale! which will be in about july or august cause i gotta work like 40 hours a week this summer at albertsons to afford it!
casey

Casey,

Either a Leupold or a Burris. Check out the Burris websight. They Make some real good scopes. I would get a mil dot reticle.
This is Bear Basin's clearance sight http://www.clearanceoptics.com/
If you don't mind a used scope look at this websight
http://www.samplelist.com/
Both websights have regular retail pages. And of course there is good old Ebay. I have seen very few mil dot scopes on Ebay.

For me I am going with either the Leupold vari x II 4x12x40
retails for around 350.
The Burris Signiture 4x16x44 retails around 490. Or
The Burris fullfield II 4.5x14x42 retails for around 325.

All of the above scopes are made in the US and carry a lifetime warranty. (So even if you buy it used (mainly speeking of leupold) you can't get burned on a doa scope) All have a mil dot or something very similar. 12-14x should be ample magnification for the maximum effective range of any '06

Do yourself a favor and buy a set of leupold mounts and rings or Burris mounts and rings. They will interchange and will anchor your scope solid. Total retail around $80 You should be able to beat all of the retail prices here with a little shopping.

As for color I like matte black. It hides better. Also available in a wider range of scopes.

i was looking on bearbasin.com at leapolds and i found that some have ao which is adjustabel objective. what is this? is this where you can change the distance and aim right where you want?
casey

Check out a Weaver Grandslam... Just as good optically as a VariXIII and half the price. Lifetime warrenty as well, albiet nontransferable, but neither is Luepolds either...

The AO on the scopes adjusts for paralax... Or in other words focus' the recticle to the same wave lenghth (if you will) of light as the image coming through the scope. On my Luey's with the AO I see very little change optically after about 100 yards. Where as on the Weaver GS that I have you can definatly see a diffirence out to about 350 yards or so. You can almost use it to range things, almost...

Good luck, just remeber you can never go wrong with a Luey... and resale on them is about wholesale!

I just went through the same thing a few months ago and ended up going with the Zeiss Conquest. I was looking at the same Nikon scope but the Zeiss was so much clearer that it really wasn't a choice. I got mine at Bear Mt in Mesa. They matched to best price that I found anywhere else. And I was able to actually look through Luepold, Nikon, and Zeiss.

There is a company called premiere reticle that you may want to research. They will put dots on the verticle crosshair of your leupold scope for each 100 yards after 200. It is a sweet system, and the dots are custom to your rifle and bullet choice. I just ordered my first one, and I think it will be great.

Questions about the Recticle System.

1. How did you decide which bullet weight and type to set your scope up for? Typically, you wouldn't want to use the same bullet for Coues/Antelope (fast expanding) that you would on Elk (deep penetrating) right? Did you set up a rifle scope combo just for Coues and have another for Elk?

2. When selecting a bullet for your new scope, did you go with a factory cartridge or handload. Handload seems safest because you never know when the factory load will be discontinued, then you are left holding a worthless scope.

Thanks

Minor problem, Just have them do it again. I just use the same load on every thing. Thanks Antlerboy I will have one soon as I get back from Mexico. I don't think I'll need it there.

I am selling (today) my Swarovski scope and buying what Josh and Blueoak just bought, a leuopold with the premier reticle. It takes all the guess work out of the shot after you range the buck...... Thanks, Allen Taylor......

Casey,
You might consider a lower magnification than 6.5x20. If you end up in the timber after elk, or jump a deer real close, I think you will find the magnification too high and the field of view too small for quick target acquisition. Instead, I'd opt for 3x9 or 3.5x10. The 10x is plenty for 500 yards. Save the 20x for p-dogs or competition.

My $0.02
Doug/RedRabbit

It looks like I should work on commision from Premier Reticle. Actually, the guy that told me should. Anyway, I just got my scope back today, just in time to get it set up for next Friday's hunt. I'm putting it on my gun tonight and I'll go launch some lead through it tomorrow. So far it looks so sweet! I'll let you guy's know how it shoots tomorrow.

I chose the 150 gr bullets to use. This way I can shoot pretty much anything I want with it. Sure you could use a 180 gr for elk and a 110-130 gr for Coues but it all boils down to you the shooter and hitting them right where it counts I guess.

Josh

I just looked at the catalog they sent back with my scope and the same exact scope that I bought is selling for $496. Maybe some of their other scopes/spotting scopes/tripods etc are cheaper too? Seem like a high class operation they have going.

Josh

Hey Bambistew

This is taken right from the Leupold websight

Leupold & Stevens, Inc. is a family owned, fourth generation company that has been manufacturing precision optical products in the U.S. for nearly a century. Leupold?s success has been built on our commitment to your absolute satisfaction, and our commitment to the shooting sports. It's for these reasons that we offer the Leupold Full Lifetime Guarantee.

If any Leupold Golden Ring? product is found to have defects in materials or workmanship, we will, at our option, repair or replace it. Free. Even if you are not the original owner. No warranty card is required. No time limit applies.

Looks like you don't have to transfer a warranty.
Wyorawhide

Casey,

I have the Leupold Vari-X II 3-9 x 40 in silver. I love the scope, however, I have also thought about replacing it. My friend, who shoots the exact same gun as I, has the Vari-X II in 6.5-18 x 40. He also love it. It has the adjustable objective lens.

dds/Darren

i have heard that if you sight your scope in at a higher magnifacation that it can sometimes make the scope not hit where its supposed to. i dont remember where i heard this but it doesnt make sense. is this false or true?
casey

well i did it, i put 200 dollars down on the leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20X 40mm Silver (AO) (Fine Dplx) from outdoorsmans.com, they beat all the other prices i have seen by 50 dollars atleast. i also went a head and bought silver rings and mounts from them, cant wait till i get the rest of the money!
casey

Fixed power scopes are not "in" these days. That being said, I have a Leupold 6X42 on my old .270. This scope has a larger field of view than the 3.5 X 10 variable. The exit pupil is huge and plenty of magnification for big game animals out to extreme range. I will purchase this model again. Dan

I've got a steeltube Weaver 6x on my model 70 30-06 that I bought in 1972. It has never let me down. I was just practicing with it at my range and was shooting at a 6" bullseye at 300 and 400 yards off the bipod. 2" group @ 300 and a 6" group @ 400 yards. All shots in the bullseye. I'm happy! Mike

This may be a tad late since the Coues season is already underway but I just got an email from the premier reticles site and all the Leupold scopes just went on sale through the internet only. The same scope I mentioned way up top is going for $486 I think. Anywho, if anyone wants the email just email me and I'll forward it to you.

Josh

well my leg, and half my arm are down on the scope, only from the elbow down left to go. i cant wait to get it!!! i bought my 2004 license today because friday, sat and sun. we are going archery deer hunting(im glassing dad carryin the bow) i also got a lion tag and will be packin my rifle for coyotes!
casey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom