New SLC HD different than originals?

ClarkW

I have good binos but have been considering SLCs for awhile now because they have soft eyecups. I see now that they have changed to a HD model of SLC. Has anyone looked through them compared to the old SLCs and willing to review them.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-02-10 AT 04:19PM (MST)[p]I actually spent about an hour down at Cabelas the other day doing just that. I planned on going in spending $1399 on the SLC 10x42. I took the SLC, SLC HD, and EL Swarovision outside and looked over them with the optics guy. I had the 10x42 Euro's and I think that the SLC non hd were pretty comparable. The HD on the other hand are much nicer. Here are the new things I liked more than the standard. First they were lighter and just felt better in my hands. Two they have bigger exit pupil and HD lenses which made them brighter and more colorful to look through. Three the focusing knob much better IMO. So after I decided I wanted the HD instead of the regular I made the mistake of looking through the EL Swarovisions. Whoops there goes another $350. I loved the glasses. They have even bigger exit pupil and the field flattner lenses which make the image crisp from edge to edge. I looked at a white sign with the SLC HD and then the EL and there was a blue maybe black ring that was close to the edge through the SLC HD and in the EL it was perfect. I also think the color was a lot better on the EL. Overall I think the HD and the EL are very hard to beat but both deffinantly better than the regular SLC. Sorry that its not that professional of a review but that is the best I can describe them. I was going to pick my EL's up tonight because they r on layaway but, Cabelas has the Hometown Heroes thing next weekend so all Veterans and police and fire fighters get employee discounts. So I decided that if I get 10-15% off that would make up my 350$ from going to the EL's from the HD's.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-02-10 AT 10:49PM (MST)[p]jarheadhunter- fyi- the exit pupil for all 10x42's is 4.2mm. The Swarovision does have ocular lenses that are significantly larger than that of SLC or SLC HD. This is part of the field flattening. I have had the opputunity to field test the Swarovisions with old EL's. I liked the Swarovisions without question. You made a solid choice. Good Luck CDN

Yes you are correct that the exit pupil is 4.2. I was talking about the exit pupil distance which is 20mm on the Swarovisions and 16mm on the SLC HD. Which makes it easier on your eyes I think. Really helps for people with glasses.

>Yes you are correct that the
>exit pupil is 4.2. I
>was talking about the exit
>pupil distance which is 20mm
>on the Swarovisions and 16mm
>on the SLC HD. Which
>makes it easier on your
>eyes I think. Really helps
>for people with glasses.

I believe this is called eye relief.

looked thru the SLC HD in the store and loved how they feel. I have the new swarovision EL's and love them. last weekend hunting in a field, i watched 3 does about 200 yards away and could see them very well and it was pretty dark. couldn't see them with the naked eye and i have a Zeiss COnquest 3x9x50 scope and couldn't see them with my scope. dusk and dawn is where these binos shine, i promise. i had the vortex razors and they were nice, but the low light performance of the new EL's is amazing. if you are looking at the slc's i would add the 300 dollars and get the EL's. good luck!!!

It's called the swarovision mistake. I, too, have made the same bad decision. If you look through them, it's going to cost you.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom