New to hunting Colorado

BaldBeaver

Just a quick question. I am wanting to start applying for draw hunts vs otc optionsto start building pref points. Could someone tell me is the full license fee for elk required at time of application, or only when drawn?
~Jason Peterson

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."~Jack Kerouac

Full fee! Plus I think last year they started making you pay a nonrefundable $10 Stamp fee up front on top of that!

Thank you for the response, that's what I thought. Just need to plan ahead for the fees for this next upcoming year, with 4 states that im starting to put in for to build points.

~Jason Peterson

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."~Jack Kerouac

Since you didn't have a license this year they will also keep $25 from your application, in addition to the habitat stamp and $3 application fee.

Good job on starting to apply for points but don't get carried away trying for the hardest units... Do your research and find a couple that you can draw as a 2nd choice and 0-2 points and keep hunting every year bouncing between 2 different units. You will be alot happier and a lot more successful!

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

They keep your money aprox. 2 & 1/2 to 3 months. You can charge it on a credit card and be out a little interest and not have to use your money.

If you are drawn, you don't lose the $25 as that will apply to your tag price. There are plenty of tags that can be drawn with 0 points (bull/eithersex/cow). For one thing, you can apply for a bull or eithersex tag as a first choice and a cow tag as a second choice. If you don't get your first choice and do get your 2nd choice cow tag, you receive a point for next year and the price is only $350

That way you can hunt/scout an area with a cow tag this year and draw the bull tag next year

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Read what mntman said. Then read it again. Takes his advice. Do not build mores than 3 to 5 points for deer and elk. You will never catch up. I started 10 years ago building for a unit that only took 4 points. Now I have 10 points and am sick to think about all the great bucks I could have shot in Colorado this last decade. Instead I was getting nor buck tags in wy. Now with that point set up I am looking to Idaho next year. I knew I was screwed about 7 years ago... And every year I bend over and take it again.

Find areas taking a couple points and hunt them every couple year. Also if something it taking 5 points now count on that same unit taking at least 7 before u actually draw. My unit has tripled while I was trying to catch it.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom