Newbie measuring powder

chindits

I have never played with MLers before. I am in CO so loose powder is my option.

A friend gave me a few speed loaders with powder already in them. Out of curiosity I got my reloading scale out and measured their weights. They were running the range of 79.2 to 83.5 for what was suppose to be a 100 gr volume measure.

So I get out my brand new volume measure thing a ma jig and set it for 100 gr volume. I try 6 loads and weigh each one. I have a variance of 71 to 73.4.

As a total novice I ask, does not a consistent measures of powder matter for consistent shots with a ML?

Is there a way I can improve my consistency with a volume measure?

Should I just be weighing out my powder since I have the equipment for it?

I tried a search, but I guess I didn't use the right word combinations to come up with this topic that has probably been beaten in to the ground.

I appreciate your suggestions and knowledge.

Dont worry about charge weight.

I will fill my volume measurer heaping full and give it a few flicks with my finger like its a shot needle to settle everything in then level it off.

Level it off & Load it!

We're shootin Big Game out to 150 Yards!

Not trying to hit a Gnats Ass at a 1,000+!:D

This Story happens alot it's True!
But Ya Best Hope it don't ever happen to you!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-09-13 AT 02:21PM (MST)[p]Best grouping I could get with my muzzleloader is the 245gr powerbelts with 79-80 grains pyrodex. Makes a difference when you are shooting out to 200+ yards. I'll be coming to Colorado this september.

I'm not one for telling my grandson how big of turd I had to pinch off from having to eat so much meat. I want to give them the antlers that hang from my wall and tell him the unforgettable experience that came with each and every one.

Traditions evolution. It has an open breach which is legal in Idaho. That is why I got it. I will be hunting mule deer in Colorado. I drew a muzzy tag for elk in Idaho. I practice at least once a week. This will be my first year hunting with a muzzleloader.

I'm not one for telling my grandson how big of turd I had to pinch off from having to eat so much meat. I want to give them the antlers that hang from my wall and tell him the unforgettable experience that came with each and every one.

I don't think I have much of a choice with Idaho making us use lead only bullets. The 348's drop faster, but they group just as good. I haven't tried to compare the ballistics between the two.

I'm not one for telling my grandson how big of turd I had to pinch off from having to eat so much meat. I want to give him the antlers that hang from my wall and tell him the unforgettable experience that came with each and every one.

nonsense! There is very little drop difference between the 245 and 348, especially at 100-150 yards. You do realize the pure lead powerbelts open up very quickly and fragment right? You'll be lucky to get 2" of penetration on an elk before that bullets fully opened and fragmenting.

Go with the 348gr aerotip or flat point, you will NOT regret it for an elk!

If your deer hunt comes first, thats good, it will show you the very strict limits of the lead series powerbelt.

www.FrontierMuzzleloading.com

I agree that there is very little difference in drop out to 150 yards between the 248 the 348 gr powerbelt.

But if they work in your rifle, the 350 gr Hornady FPB will work better than either in terminal performance.

And with powerbelts, if you exceed 100 gr of powder, you will get more fragmentation. When I used them, I used 90-95 gr of 777 or BH 209. Very little drop out the 150 yards

As to the original question. 2 gr of weight difference doesn't make any difference for the distances you will be shooting(unless you are Marley!)

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

To try to get this back on the original subject, I have had the most consistency when I weighed the charges. It might not make a difference if the shooter or the gun is not accurate enough, but I do shoot long range with my ML guns. While deer hunting, 300 yards is no problem. I am building a elk ML and 500 yard MOA groups are my goal. So, yes weighing can make a big difference.

If you are shooting factory open sights and using light to medium loads, I doubt most will see a difference by weighing the loads. If your goal is paper plate at 100 yards, by all means dump, stuff, and shoot.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom