Newbie unit 45 New Mexico any help where to start

Bansheekking13

I drew unit 45 this year early September find you to hunt you this is my first talk if I can get any help on where to start would be greatly appreciated I'm not asking hurry honey hole just asking for a general place to start looking thank you and God bless

Man 3 post in from a new guy who lives near the unit asking for help. That's a rough intro to the community.

I glanced at your other 3 post and while better written then the above, there's not much info to go on.

As a new hunter, I can tell you it's a daunting task to start from scratch to hunting elk in the mountains. If you're serious about making the most of a difficult to draw tag, hire a guide. If you want to go out and enjoy some of Gods country and simply have fun then perhaps solo. You'll learn at a much faster pace and greatly increase your odds with a guide, but I get it, that's not for everyone.

As newbie hunter, what's your back country experience level...hiking, camping fishing off the road? What's your age and fitness level? If you don't already have some level of experience here you've doubled your difficulty and bordering into a safety issue. You must know your limits regardless of how you do this hunt.

Lastly, you're not going to see many responses here when you come over as a new guy and ask for help. This site and several others are flush with new guys asking for help this time of year.

I'd advise getting a subscription to a mapping app such as onX and studying that along with Google maps and earth. Look for the big 3; cover, food and water. From there, form a plan to put boots on the ground. You're lucky as you're very close to the unit. Once in the unit, plan a solid day just to drive around and get the lay of the land. From there, start pin pointing places you want to dig deeper into and plan some hikes. Look for high vantage points that are on the road or close to where you can glass a long ways just help get familiar with the area.

Lastly, elk hunting especially solo is not what you see on YouTube. You must learn to embrace the suck, it's part of the game.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
image000000.gif

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom