Nightforce Scope Advice

440sixpack

I want to try a Nightforce on a long range set up and I find there are 500 different options.

I'm thinking a 3.5x15 50mm because I'm not interested in shooting over 750 yards max and I'd rather have the lower power setting for closer shots in the timber.

What reticle are guys using? and is there anything else I should know about selecting one of these scopes?

My other choice is a Leupold VX6 , I know getting a custom dial will be easier and cheaper for sure.

Stay thirsty my friends

LAST EDITED ON Mar-09-14 AT 07:30PM (MST)[p]Great topic. I can't speak for the Nightforce, but am very interested to hear other opinions.

I do have a vx-6 CDS on a 280 AI and the verdict is still out. I am trying to find the best load to match up the turrets with(don't get to do as much shooting as I would like).

I am partial to the duplex reticle because that is what is on my other rifles. I sometimes wonder if I should experiment with the other types.

I am using Z5 3.5x18x44 swar on my 30378 Sako shooting out to 500 yards easily will start shooting longer this spring and summer with it BRX reticle. first what rifle and caliber are you putting this scope on?

A McWhorter 300 WBY .

I'd really rather stick to a CDS Stlye system. I know you can get them for Nightforce but it might be through Gunwerks and I'm not sure if they do it for scopes they didn't sell. that kind of why Leuopld is hard to ignore.

Stay thirsty my friends

Gseven or gun works has there own reticle that has wind age marks.Nightforce builds it just for the gun works guys. I think it a pretty good set up . I have been thinking of getting one of there scopes.

Just pick whichever Velocity reticle matches the cartridge/load you will be using. That way you will also have a reticle that works matches out to say 500, but more importantly it has 1 MOA hash mark on the horizontal for windage. The other cool thing about the gunwerks one is that it doesn't have a windage turret and I really wish I could remove those from most of my guns. I have the nightforce 5.5-22 and then just recently got the 3.5-15. I think 15X is plenty to shoot out to 1000 yards.

-I have fought tougher men, but I really can't remember when-

I think highly of each scope.

The VX6 has an excellent eye box throughout the whole magnification range. The CDS has 20 moa/turn and zero stops available. I really like their fire dot reticle.

Like mentioned the NXS is quite a bit more, but comes with some of the most reliable tracking. I've only used their MOAR reticle. I believe they made this with the hunter and bench guys in mind.

If money were not an issue I would go Nightforce, but you're getting a great scope either way.

I think Gunwerks has the right idea with the capped windage.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-11-14 AT 08:00PM (MST)[p]Where to start..

Leupold,i've owned a bunch, down to my last one wearing a turret. I'll never go with them again for turret twisting, they are a set it and leave it scope, too many flat spots, too many failers to return to zero, click values are whacked..Just aint worth my time anymore, too bad because overall I like them.

Nightforce SHV that someone recommended..Huge disappointment to see this is NF "hunting" offering, the dang thing is 28oz, is a 56mm and has no zero stop, i see them dropping it after a year or so.

My two favorites for hunting would be the NXS 2.5-10x42 or the 3.5-15x50..I lean towards the 10x because of its size, but i have no problem driving a 10x to 1k yards. They are pretty much bombproof and track dead nuts.

The downsides to the NF on a hunting gun, first the damn windage turret, no need to have one on a hunting rifle and i wished they'd offer a capped version, they require a specialized scabbard to fit the wide buggers in, keep that in mind. My scopes have NP-R2 reticuls,and they are a bit too fine in low light, not a big deal as they have illumination, still a bit thicker crosshair for hunting would be nice.

Its too bad the G7 is so big, because they come with a capped windage and a thicker crosshair, i dont run yardage turrets but the G7 would be the easiest to get them for.

To me there isnt a perfect scope out yet for the LR hunter, Bushnell is actually coming out with one this march, designed by George Gardner and Pat Sinclair, it is the closest to perfect there has been yet, however they are MIL/MIL only..Before you laugh, they are not your walmart bubble packed bushnell, they are being made in the same plant as NF, and will likely sell at the same price point.

Another worth mentioning would be the March hunter, sweet scope, they have low profile capped turrets, compact and excellent reticles and glass..However they are a 2.5-25x, which would be awesome in a FFP, but they are SFP and 25x is just too much on the top end for a second focal scope, if they would offer it in a 14x or FFP it would be the perfect hunting scope.

Everything you said is pretty much what I've been getting a feel is the case.

For tracking there seems to be no doubt Nightforce is the best. beyond that it's not so clear.

My question is what about the newer Leupold dual spring adjustments? are they better and more reliable than older versions? even if they're not will the causual shooter with a CDS shooting out to 750 yards really have a serious problem?

The 3-18x50 VX6 CDS would be the perfect scope for my intended use, IF , it will track realiable . as much as I like the idea of the nightforce I don't see them being a saddle scabbard scope and that's a problem for me. they look like a christmas tree on a rifle with crap sticking everywhere and they weigh a little more.

Stay thirsty my friends

LAST EDITED ON Mar-11-14 AT 10:13PM (MST)[p]I'm pretty soured on leupold at the moment, but i have not had the VX6..But on my latest 4.5-14LR it had the dual spring erector, and it was doing OK except for the flat spots and untrue click values (they were more IPHY than the advertised 1/4moa), which will make you pull your hair out trying to chase down your LR shots..There is a guy named Cecil Tucker that does some kind of retrofit to leups, just about allt he guys that shoot leups in competition are running his retrofit, but it does void the warranty.All i can say is try one and see if it works, the good thing about leup is they will fix it, most of mine were going back to the mothership annually..Bad thing is I just lost my trust in them.

I agree about the huge turrets on the NF, they are a pain to scabbard up, hell they are pain in general, but i deal with them and the weight of the NF for absolute reliability.

If money is no object this is your huckleberry, this is there FFP offering, pretty sweet scope if you have the coin http://marchscopes.com/tactical-3-24-x-42-ffp.html

IDK about a "custom" turret on one tho, I dont roll that way, climate,loads and elevation change way too often for me to even take them serious..however those problems are minimized under 800 yards,FWIW

Never heard of March, but for that price I assume they're good. holy crap.

So you just make a list of your settings and tape them on the stock or something? that just seems sloppy but I can see how if you're always changing things it would be the only way to go. I just want to have one load and roll with it, the older I get the less I like things complicated.

The Leupold dual erector set up is supposed to be the same thing they use on their sniper scopes that cost more than a Nightforce.

I don't know if this ultra long range thing is my bag, but I want to try it. I want the Leuopld to work because I know I would pack the rifle more if it was more user friendly. but if it doesn't do the job it's no better than my normal rifle. nothing is ever simple.

Stay thirsty my friends

LAST EDITED ON Mar-11-14 AT 11:54PM (MST)[p]Yes, i tape a range card on the stock..for back up in case this aint working http://www.gseven.com/products/g7-br2

The G7 is the reason I havent gone to MIL/MIL across the board, they only read out in yards or MOA..Vector is the only option for mil, and they run a cool 20k..

the cool thing with that g7 rangefinder is you can run your simple yard turret, adn it will correct the atmosphere for you, i still run it in moa cuz it opens more doors, but under 7-800 yards it is a moot point..You HAVE to understand what you are doing to get it set up properly, there is no free lunch there, but after you got it dialed in they are very accurate.

Also, its not so much that my load changes (alltho i do that plenty) its the temp, elevation, humidity etc that changes, for instance going from oregon to wyoming is going to change enough for you to not hit anything if you dont account for atmospheric conditions.

Edit...Regarding the G7, it all depends on the accuracy and repeat-ability of your scope, which brings us full circle in this discussion, tis why i've sent leupolds down the road..you can have the greatest and latest in technology, but it dont mean ##### if your scope is dialing in 15.5moa instead of 16, and yes i've found many flat spots OVER .5moa in my leupolds(dont take that simple statement lightly, it is a pretty big time waster and a LOT of shooting to figure out WTF is going on, after you finally trace it back to the scope, you can start to understand my disdain for a non tracking POS optic) ..Things are getting easier than when i started this lr stuff years ago, i used to pack around 20 different range cards for different temps,elevations etc..now you have a freaking LRF that will give you the solution. before the G7 i was using a kestral and a smart phone (and a PDA before the smart phone), they would communicate with each other via Bluetooth, and give you a solution, now you have a lrf that combines everything..nothing new really the lieca vector has been around a long time, but like i said they cost as much as a decent car.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom