Ninemile/Range Creek Questions

B

Bobmuley

Conflicting borders shown on maps for the southwest boundary of the reservation. Some show it along the Green River and others have it about 3 miles west of the Green. BLM shows they manage to the river whereas the tribe and USGS show the river as tribal land. Anyone know which one is correct? I'll be stopping into the Price BLM office my next trip through to verify.

I've plotted all the sheep counts and kills and noticed that there is zero information in the central portion of the unit along the Green River. Do people not hunt it because there are decent numbers of sheep in easier access areas? Even UDWR doesn't count them in "the middle".

Anyone float the river?

Thanks,
Bob

i think you are spot on... but with people who knows...

Curious where you go the sheep counts and kills in order to plot out the unit numbers from?

Tallbuck1

I already had Raftfreak's ram plotted...which leaves about 35 miles of unaccounted territory.

Seems like there'd have to be a an old ram or three in that...of course depending on where the ladies want to be come November.

Tallbuck, if you did not find the info source from treedagain shoot me an email at [email protected] and I'll get it to you.

Bob
Range Creek Border:
southwest border- I-70 & state hiway 6, southeast border- green river.

Just to clarify- UDWR sets the sheep hunt boundary (don't ask the BLM), stop by the DWR- Price Office and they can help you out. Also talk to the DWR sheep biologists (in Price), they manage these sheep units, they are very helpful..

Range Creek Unit: its kinda interesting the mid-area or "Range Creek Canyon" doesn't hold many sheep at least during the rut. Even after DWR mid-river sheep re-locations, the sheep eventually wandered back to their original winter range.

After plotting the numbers, you will see that there are three main bighorn concentrations:
1) I call "Lower Triangle"- Price River (both sides), Green River (west side), Elliott Mtn & book cliffs.
85+ % of sheep are killed here, probably because it holds 70% of the sheep herd, sheep routinely cross over form the rattlesnake.
2) Sunnyside- Horse Canyon, Lila Canyon, working south.
3) Nine Mile Creek
nothing- mid river

My vote (for obvious reasons) FLOAT THE RIVER. See post mentioned above. Note- this does require a River Permit issued by the BLM (with fees) and if you do take an outboard, it needs to be registered with state of UT with placard & coastguard required gear. Also one can NOT run upriver anywhere on the Green River, paddle or outboard. For example- one cannot run upriver from Nefertiti (end of road) to Coal Creek. I would one done this in a heart beat, had it not been prohibited.

Upriver Lure- no people, no people, big sheep.
The 3 bigger bighorns I saw were all on the Indian side of the river. One was a monster (possibly a montana breaks holdover??), the second a semi-monster (leftside horn broomed back 6-7 inches). He was a loner and on the move, scent was in the air with constant lip curls (or was he just sticking his tongue out at me???). He was directly across river from camp and at the top of shear cliffs. I glassed him closely from the groover location at camp after breakfast, before I headed out for the morning. I (half-jokingly) told my buddy to watch him, he'll come down to water and keep track of where he goes. Sure enough, an hour later he's walking on the opposite bank, still lip curling (sticking tongue out at us) and heading downriver. My buddy follows him, til he gets ledged out, but never sees him cross. Hindsight, I should not have been in such a big hurry that morning, I was just so pumped (we were seeing lots). But in my book, this ram was a shooter (I liked the look, one horn broomed). The third ram was Mr Horny.

I did have a plan for trying to lure a bighorn across the river, but never did try it out. This included pop-up decoys and calling. I think it would have worked during the bighorn pre-rut period (the technique sure works great on elk).

good luck
raftfreak

I had been dreaming of a raft -sheep hunt down desolation canyon for years, but I didn't want to waste a week of valuable hunt time if it was going to be a bust. So One year ago I decided to take an eight day solo trip with just a camera, first full week of November. It was worth it, everything checked out.

This last hunt season the plan was to raft the first full week of November and to be pretty picky, plus I had a good friend volunteer to go along. However, if I didn't connect that week, the plan was to rerun deso, the next week. Depending on circumstances and looking at all options, I would have considered going again. .....but than again, I am half duck.

I highly recommend taking a test run down deso canyon during the sheep hunt concentrating just on the rafting aspects. Plus get a feel for the area, scouting for best canyons and get an idea of numbers of sheep.

Spent sunday learning more about the unit, Seen lots of country, 5 different bans of eves and last years lambs. It's going to take lots of weekends, and many miles on the boots to learn the country, two trips down, lots more to go. Going to have fun!!!!

bownutco,
You already have a leg up on most hunters in that unit, living that close. Come to think if it, no one else even knows for sure if they have a permit!
Nothing beats boot-leather experience to give you knowledge and confidence in a unit. I am stoked for you, but you have a long wait before you can tote a weapon. That will only add to your excitement. Best of luck and keep us posted! PM sent.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom