NM 16E oct 18-22

bighamr

Just wondering if anyone has hunted this unit recently? Have hunted it before but has been a while. Has anyone taken any good bulls out of there lately? Thanks for the advice.

Hunted there two years ago. Not a bad unit if you are just looking to kill a Bull. Never saw a Mature Bull. I have seen better quality in Colorado. I would not apply for that unit again. Look up in the archives on that area for other info.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-23-08 AT 02:13PM (MST)[p]There are some decent bulls in 16E. Not nearly the trophy potential like the other 16s, but there are good numbers of bulls to be found off the beaten path in this unit with the outside chance at something really nice. But, you will have to work to find the bigger bulls. I've seen quite a few nice 5 by 5s and 280 to 310" 6 pt. bulls come out of 16E over the past two years but agree with TK to the extent that there does seem to be quite a few raghorns in the unit. There are only 2 units in Colorado that I'd hunt over 16E and those are 201 and 2, but even then, most of the bulls killed in those units average between 280 and 330... Otherwise I'd take 16E over any CO hunt. Most of the hunters I have seen do well on this hunt either got off their 4 wheelers once back into the unit, rode horses, or hiked hard and found bulls. Game warden that checked my bull in Magdalena last year told me that as of October, the biggest bull he had seen come out of 16E in 2007 was a 340 taken during the archery season. Said it was by far the biggest bull he'd seen out of there all season. Should be a fun hunt if you are willing to work hard. I'd go into the hunt with the mentality to shoot the first nice bull I saw if I were hunting 16E.

I'm willing to bet that there are a couple of sleeper bulls in the unit as I glassed a couple of hogs wintering on the open slopes of the Eastern side of 16E this winter....

16E is a pretty good unit. Theres just not alot of access and basically one road in and one road out and it's pretty rough. The game warden who works that area is a good friend of mine and said theres some pretty good elk numbers and some great bulls. That 340 bull was killed on the first archery hunt from one of our members here at MM , I have some great pictures of the bull but will post only if he allows. I think he actaully posted them last fall. None the less , it's a good elk unit, big country with alot of open terrain , it's rough to get around in but thats why the bulls grow big in there.Congrats on your draw....

Guided a youth hunter there last year Bull scores 325 and we only had 2 days to hunt. We did see some larger bulls just to far out I will go back to hunt for myself some day.

Talked to NMHUNUTTG and he was thinking of the pictures of the bull I harvested last year. This bull was harvested in an adjacent unit but I took him within a half mile of the boundary of 16E. Sorry for those of you who have seen these already but this bull is representative of the region. Scores a bit more than the 340s but I don't really care as he is a heavy, wide, mature and beautiful bull. Just couldn't fit the rack in the back of X-Terra! There are bulls this big in 16E...you just gotta' find'em. The two bigger sheds in the last picture were found right off of the boundary of 16E as well and are pretty representative of the 280 to 310 bulls in the region.

ELK2007014.jpg

Gila20072.jpg

100_0090.jpg

LittleWahoo019.jpg

Good luck on your hunt and post pictures!

-Cody

486b8e295986d0b3.jpg

Here is a picture of a bull I harvested on the first day of the muzzleloader hunt last year up until that hunt there were alot of elk around after that hunt they really get pushed into the deep country but they are still out there. You will need to be lucky or willing to get into the back country.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-08 AT 10:16AM (MST)[p]Hunt the very southern portion of this unit, and be sure not to overlook the plains. Most of these animals get pushed down and out into the flatland during the earlier hunts as there is not a whole lot of "elk country" in this unit.

I know there are some good bulls in this unit, but they will be very hard to find. Take a good spotting scope and do lots of glassing. You'll probably be finding them in their beds.

EDIT: Oh yeah, check all water sources you can find for sign...especially the more remote ones.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom