NM Antelope

canon

Got lucky and drew a rifle antelope tag. Just wondering what the quality of goats are like in the northeastern part of the state. I know there are some bruisers in the central and southern units but have never really heard much about the 40-56 units. Not really seeking any info just wanted to hear of past hunts in this area and what one could expect on the rifle hunt. Is the terrain open pine forest or open flats? Are there good numbers of antelope etc? Thanks in advance

The northeast produces some tremendous bucks. An article in Rocky Mountain Game & Fish stated that Mora County produces more book head than any county in the country. Wherever you hunt, you'll be hunting some good stuff.
-Raptor

Thanks for the reply. I know it varies, but what type of country is this mostly made up of? Are the antelope densities high throughout the area? Hopefully we will get assigned to a good ranch and get into some antelope. I am still not quite sure how this works with ranches etc, but I would like to start scouting ASAP. I was told I would now know for several weeks what ranch would be assigned. What a bummer..

From what I've been told you may not be able to do any scouting on the particular ranch you draw. I believe each ranch has different rules so it all depends upon where you are assigned. If you get a map of the ranch you might be able to glass from country roads..if there are any that are along the border.

I don't have much experience with hunting NMex but have driven through the northeast part of the state. The topography and vegetation varies greatly from area to area so depends upon which particular ranch and area you get assigned.

I would be really interested in how your hunt turns out! My son drew a tag for those units as well. I think it is a crap shoot whether you'll have a chance at getting assigned a ranch with B&C potential or one of the many ranches that produces average ole bucks. If you want to stay in touch I can be reached at [email protected]

For the most part...its is pretty flat. Basically the eastern slope of the rockies where the plains begin. Most of (if not all) the counties in this region can produce book heads.
-Raptor

How is unit 56? Has anyone ever hunted on the doherty ranch. It is supposed to be a big ranch. I have never been to this part of the state so I was just curious. Thanks

Hey Canyon, did you get assigned to unit 56? I don't know anything about the unit, I'm just wondering if NM G&F has made ranch assignments yet?

Thanks!

I was wondering if anyone has heard of the Tony Martinez Ranch (combined w/ Martinez Family Ranch). My son just got a letter in the mail today with a nondetailed map of those ranches. It is located just north of Yates and appears to be in the corners of Union, Colfax, and Harding counties....about 10 miles by 10 miles in size? Any info about this or adjoining ranches would be much appreciated! I can be contacted directly at [email protected]

Looks like I also drew for unit 56 on the Tom Giffin ranch. Hopefully the outlook is as good on this ranch as the ranch that Canyon drew. Any additional information would be appreciated. Good luck to everyone.

jims , if its the Martinez ranch in unit 55 , its a great ranch , my buddy and his wife drew it in 02 , BUT , the ranch owner wouldn't allow the hunters to drive the ranch (any of the hunters) , they had to leave their vehicles at the ranch gates as he was their to make sure no trucks were entering . My friends wife shot a 12 inch buck back about 2 miles from the truck , he said he worked harder getting that buck back than he had during elk hunts , I bet he regrets saying that as we razz him , but non the less he said it was the most challenging antelope hunt he'd been on as all the hunters enterd on foot and the antelope were aware . It may be a differant ranch , but CONGRATS ON DRAWING , antelope are a complete blast to hunt...NMHUNTNUTT

NMHUNTNUTT, The unit my son drew is 45 south of Gladstone so I'm not sure it's the same unit? Sounds like you had a fun hunt. I'm all for hiking and hunting so if that is the case...it would be great! Good luck on this years hunts!

Thanks for the replies. It looks like the terrain is relatively flat and without too many trees. Should be fun. I wish we could scout sooner than a week before the hunt. It sounds like antelope numbers are relatively high here. They sure do issue a lot of tags, does this have a big impact on older age class goats? Thanks

Guys, I drew a the southwest area. Its the Bob Salvo Ranch. Never been there. Have any of you heard of it or know anything about the ranch?? Its around a place called old horse springs.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom