NM state trust land/public

iccyman001

I drew an antelope tag for unit 39 & 40 and the public land that I can hunt is mostly State trust land.
The area I want to hunt on http://www nmstatelands org/Sportmens_Access aspx says its public and state trust.
Also, I have used my current GPS NM xmaps and it says the land is public.

According to the regulations:
"If you have been allowed access to State Trust Lands, you may:
? Scout for big game seven days prior to the open season."

Now I am not used to this type of system so I was hoping I could ask a few questions.

- If state trust land is public, then why is it saying "if you have been allowed access"?

- The area I want to hunt has a single gate that leads into it. Am I suppose to just open the gate and drive right in? (as long as I am closing it behind me?)

- Do I need to sign in or report in anywhere?

Any information that you can pass on my way would be much appreciated. I am 7 days out from my hunt, so I'd like to get out and do some scouting. I am just not used to hunting land like this

Yeah you can open the gate and drive right in as long as it within the 7 days. No camping on state land though. And the rancher who leases that state land is allowed to check your hunting license so take it with you just in case.

>Yeah you can open the gate
>and drive right in as
>long as it within the
>7 days. No camping on
>state land though. And the
>rancher who leases that state
>land is allowed to check
>your hunting license so take
>it with you just in
>case.

Thank you 12 ring.
I am excited to get out there.

I'm not so sure about that? I know you can walk right in but I don't think they have to allow motorized travel? If it was me I think I'd knock on the door and visit with the lessee first. Might pay off later. It has for me in the past.

>I'm not so sure about that?
>I know you can walk
>right in but I don't
>think they have to allow
>motorized travel? If it was
>me I think I'd knock
>on the door and visit
>with the lessee first. Might
>pay off later. It has
>for me in the past.
>

The state land guy I talked to told me that if its a county road, gates are not supposed to be locked during big game hunting season. He said that i was allowed to access any other state land from roads as long as the the gate was notlocked and I didnt cross any private land at any time. If im mistaken, he gave me the wrong info and im sorry for relaying wrong info.

Maybe a good idea to call and get the info first hand for yourself. Ill give you his number tomorrow. He deals with state land in 40.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom