NM Turkey Success Part 2

crazyelk

After some serious hunting this spring turkey season, my son Francisco Jr. finally bagged his gobbler last weekend on NM's Youth Only hunt (May 12-13).

His younger brother Santiago was with us again on this hunt. As previously mentioned on a separate post, he is truly hooked on turkey hunting. He can't wait until he turns 9 or 10 to take Hunter Ed.

Pretty cool story to tell. It started with us almost parking too close to a "hot spot". We usually park the truck in a little pull out and then start walking up the road. The first part is up hill for about 200 yards. That morning we decided to drive a little closer and save our legs. After driving up the road we parked. Upon opening the door of the truck and starting to get the gear ready, we could hear a gobbler about 300 yards off thundering off. We rushed to gather ourselves and headed to a nearby opening and set up a hen and jake decoy. We set up in the brush about 20 yards from the decoy spread and began to call softly. By this time it was getting light fast. On cue the gobbler would answer every call I made. Then unexpectedly, the gobbler shut up. I suspected he had flown off the roost and into the deep canyons below like gobblers in this area have done on several other occasions. We called a few more times to no avail. Then just when I was thinking about gathering the decoys and moving on, a thunderous gobble announced the bird was on the ground and coming our way. Expecting the gobbler to be showing up any minute, I glanced up the road to the right and noticed a figure in the middle of the logging road about 150 yards away. It was another gobbler at full strut coming in fast. Every time I would call and gobbler number one would gobble back, the strutter in the road would really step on the gas. In no time, the strutter came around a corner and saw the decoys. Immediately, he puffed up and ran up to jake decoy. He was face to face with the jake decoy, as I putted loudly to make him stretch out his neck for the shot I whispered very lightly and told Francisco Jr. to shoot. Francisco Jr. whispered back ?I'm going to hit the decoy?. I whispered back ?Who cares?. Immediately, the 20 gauge roared and a tight pattern of #6 Hevi Shot 13, constricted by an Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike choke tube peppered the gobblers head and neck. The gobbler hit the ground and the jake decoy spun around on the stake. He did hit the decoy. "Who cares", Francisco Jr, had a nice gobbler on the ground.

This hunt was the culmination of a most memorable spring with my sons. God willing, I hope we experience more quality time together. Even though I want my 3 year old daughter to stay small forever, I can't wait until she is old enough to join us. Once my wife finishes her education (Masters Degree), then the whole Crazyelk clan will be enjoying time together in the sierra once again.

46528b6b37ee9990.jpg

46528c7c3a296b6d.jpg

46528cb93a8a6905.jpg

Bra, that is owesome, I killed my first turkey in NM on unit 9, as a little dude with my mom. Then my dad and I called several in through out the years. Great memories, These picts brought back many memories for me as a young man, growing up like yours. Congrats as a great father, tell Francisco he did a great job, Well Done by everyone. later Bill

Guys I'm here to tell you , crazyelk is the ideal DAD! His dad planted a great seed and now many a person gets the benefits of crazyelk . He is a very giving man, and not only with his family, many many a friend from the Taos,Costilla area and many out of state hunters can vouch for his personality as nothing short of a class act. A couple weeks before he took little Kiko for his bird , crazyelk called in a couple birds for a young man restricted to a wheel chair and again shook his magic bag and had two gobblers in for this hunter. Aside from that , the NWTF chapter in Taos is one of, if not the largest chapter in the southwest US and guess who started it???? None other than crazyelk. Fransisco , if you come back in here and read this , you are a great man and I'm proud to enjoy our friendship. So many thanks , but more so , thanks for sharing this great experiance , it's the type of story that jump starts alot of emotions.

Now thats a turkey. congrats on job well done. I agree, who cares about the decoy....LOL.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom