nm2b muzzle loader hunt

I'm curious, too. I was down there for the archery hunt and it was pretty bad. Drilling is horrible and more new roads everywhere. Unit 2 is fastly becoming a big joke, not that it was ever "great" to begin with.

I totally agree with "shedcrazy". Roads and Rigs everywhere!!!
I saw one Texas truck filling up with gas in Aztec. They had 3 forkys on their trailer full of fourwheelers. They said they hunted 2b. Another local guy with a 4 pointer about 24" wide with crawdad forks throughout in the back of his Jeep Cherokee. Not sure what unit 2 portion he took it in.

Unit 2 was a tough unit to hunt in during the 70's, 80's, and 90's It really took an upswing in the late 90's and early 2000's after NMDGF started the draw system but has swung back to what it had been prior to the draw system. I attribute a lot of it to poaching. With soooo much oilfield traffic and soooo many new roads, the good bucks have a hard time staying hidden thus resulting in either being hit by a vehicle flying down the dirt roads or being poached.

Man, sorry to b!+ch so much but I was really let down again this year after dumping over $1000.00 and will start to focus all my efforts in my new home area in Northern Colorado.

Unit 2 really has come and gone again.

Yep!!! Your odds just got better. Next year you only have to go in the draw with 3000 plus applicants instead of 4000 plus for those few tags. I know everyone knows that there are Booners behind every tree and when it snows the bucks move down and there are three booners behind the trees then.

Yep I wouldn't EVER put in for any of the Unit 2 hunts again.. It sure would be terrible for the people that live and work in Unit 2 to be able to draw a deer hunt in the unit they grew up hunting in.. No instead they have to listen to the non residents complain about the hunt they themselves can't draw in their own backyard.

You guys are right unit 2 sucks!! especially the RV park called the Carson National Forest/ oil and gas lease.
I managed to kill a good one though.

I just love the roads after a good rain that is the only reason I apply there. slip sliding my way to the top. LOL

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom