No Complaints Here

Iowan

The past 12 months have been blessed with many great experiences and at least right now I cannot think of a single thing to complain about.

As always I owe a big thank you to the staff at Brownells as they are always able to help correct my shooting or get me supplies at the last minute - lucky to have them in my backyard.

I got permission to retrieve the dead head I found last year so I made the trip back out just to get it out. Had a great time.

2613deadhead_russ_holding.jpg

Then I took my best archery buck to date in mid November on one of our farms.

4587russ_2012_archery_2.jpg

Toss in a couple pheasants hunts.

1083belle_2012_fenceline.jpg

End it with our recent Oryx hunt. If you ever draw a tag you do not need a guide to shoot any Oryx but a guide is worth every penny if you want a better experience and you want to increase your chances for a quality animal. We used Franco Vallejos of Antler Addition Outfitters and could not have been happier. If you are lucky enough to draw and have some extra funds hire him - this is the best advice you will ever get from me.

4863curt_oryx.jpg

9632russ_oryx.jpg

Good luck with the draws and enjoy every minute when you do get out. Cannot wait to see what the next 12 months have in store.

Very nice! What did that bad boy (Oryx) tape out at? I guess the partial closure didn't hurt your hunt too much.

He scored 168 3/4" gross as a 9 point. When I shot him I thought he was either a 10 or a 12 point. I only saw him straight on and from the 5 point side. I am not complaining - but when I first saw him I thought he was 180"+ and if he had been a 10 point it would have been close. He is a gorgeous animal. I did not have any trail cam pics of him but our neighbors did and they were kind enough to share them with me - here is one.

92502012_9_point.jpg

Any chance you could post a link to your elk hunt video again..?? I remember it being one of the best hunt vids I've ever seen...

Great post too... Thanks for sharing your success..!!

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

My friend Kevin Jaramillo that shot and produced the video for me is putting a DVD together of all his adventures. I pimped him the other day about posting these on Vimeo again. I think the video is great too mostly because Kevin is really good at what he does and it was a great area. He shot and produced that video for only slightly more than it would have cost me to have the head mounted - I had it beatled for $50 and will have the DVD of the hunt forever. He had a couple new hunts on film that I am very anxious to see. If he puts it back on Vimeo I will post the link.

I have gotten a couple friendly PMs - we did not kill the elk deadhead just found it but got permission to take it out. This is a very long story and I just do not have time.

Those are two different Oryx. The bull was 36" shot by my brother on my right in photo and my cow was 35" on the long side. We had two tags of course.

Great Trophies, Sir Iowan!
You obviously had a fantastic hunting year and I truly wish you many more.
Unfortunately great years sometimes spoil us and we start expecting them every year. I have had an amazing string of good hunting fortune, but last year I ended up eating the crumbs of "humble pie" with a regular hunting year.
My renewed realization is we are pretty dang lucky to have even "normal years"!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom