No Floor Shelters...

Rob

For shelters such as the Kirafu supertarp, help me understand why I would want to sleep in one. Obviously they are lighter, but if a the reason for having a shelter is to keep me safe from the elements of nature, i.e. rain, bugs, wind, etc. How does having no floor do that? or am I missing the point?

I don't have a Kifaru but have always liked having a floor myself...especially if you are packing into an area that is already wet or has snow. A floor also protects my gear from getting all dirty.

My preference is to buy a bomber-proof 4 season tent that is fairly roomy and light weight. I just took mine on my Wyo antelope hunt and used just the fly plus a tarp for floor. I didn't even use the actual tent. I was camped at my truck so a tarp was an easy floor. If I am early season hunting in decent weather I'll take my fly plus footprint. It only weighs just over 2 lbs and is bomber-proof.

If I'm hunting late season or when it may snow or somewhere like Alaska where it rains and the wind howls I'll bring my tent plus fly plus footprint. It's really nice to have a double-floor (tent floor plus footprint) for double protection from rain, snow, and wet conditions....and also mosquitos, bugs, and rattlers!

I use the same 2 hoop poles on my fly as I use on the tent and just the fly plus a tarp or footprint floors work fantastic. I have also used painter plastic for a floor which at least gives a little protection if it rains plus keeps my gear from getting all dirty.

You may want to look at the Hilleberg Nallo or if you are pinched for cash the Exped Aries Mesh tents. They are pretty tough to beat for light weight, roominess, and durability. I'm kind of like you and prefer some kind of floor!

I usually use my Kifaru tarp when I'm on a solo, backcountry elk scouting/hunting trip and plan on camping in the dark timber. The tree's canopy acts as an additional buffer from rain etc. I usually camp around 10K-11K ft so bugs usually aren't an issue. Tons of room for 1 person and gear. As long as you take the time to pick a good camping location you probably won't get wet. Great tarp! If I'm above treeline or think I'm going to encounter a lot of poor weather I prefer my Hilleberg tent. The Nallo is awesome!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-26-10 AT 09:57AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-26-10 AT 09:48?AM (MST)

I think the Kifaru tents can be ordered with a floor.
Also, check out this guys website. I know for sure that you can order one of his tents with a floor. www.wyominglostandfound.com
He will make them out of Cordura, Tarp, Canvas or lightweight Silnylon. His user name on this website is elkantler75. fatrooster.

I confess to being a Kifaru junky. I have a paratipi (use for 2-3) and a 6 man along with a longhunter. I also have a matching stove. I've been in a blizzard with 60+ mph winds right at treeline in my paratipi. We had the stove going and we were comfortable in a t-shirt. After being out all day, it was nice to dry everything out and recharge ourselves prior to hitting the sack. The floorless thing was a mental hurdle for us prior to the first year's hunt. After surviving that first hunt, we truly feel invincible in the backcountry with our Kifaru. Don't think you'd want to have a fire in a tent with a floor. I've used tents with floors in persistent rains before and everything was wet eventually with no means to dry it out. Its hard to believe how hot it gets in one of those kifaru tents with a stove. You really can dry things out. I'm a believer. May not be for you and that's okay too.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom