No more 2pt bucks!

B

bigutmuleys

This year, i am going to make it my goal to hopefully find and take something larger than a 2pt with my bow. The only problem is i am not really sure where to go to find a decent buck. I drew wasatch west and i am hoping to find something above Alpine or even Mud Creek.

Any thoughts?

I haven't ever been shown how to spot n' stock, the little i do know has been self taught, but i want to increase my knowledge so i can start passing it on to my kids.

I've killed my share of "good to better than good " bucks. I'd much rather shoot a big old mature forkey than a young promising 3 or 4 point buck. That's just me or guys like me. Do what you want but i think it's crazy, unless in a very excellent and limited unit, to not shoot a big ol forkey just because he doesn't have a certain amount of points.

BTW, one of if not the Biggest buck i've even seen in my lifetime of hunting was a dandy +30" Forkedhorn in the Ruby Mountains. High, heavy, wide, and extremely handsome, i still see him in my dreams!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

bigutmuleys, the learning is the fun part ,take your time, the mistakes you make along the way, will be what you remember best, around a camp fire 20 years from now,!!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-18-14 AT 06:09AM (MST)[p]scout the unit a lot, then when you find a big buck stick by him and watch him. get to know the/his ins and outs of his home. also when you find little two points or even does, do a couple practice stalks on them to get comfortable. every stalk is going to be different so the more you practice the better you will get. just something i like to do to get ready for the seasons.

"Shoot Straight"

This is a good idea, i am hoping to get some scouting done in the next couple weeks so i will test my stalking skills.

>The first thing you need to
>know is that it's "spot
>and stalk"! Stock is
>an animal on a farm.
>

A stock could also be the handle on your rifle but it's not putting a stealthy move on a deer. haha

The one I love is "muzzle break". I have no idea how a guy could be rough enough on a gun as to "break" a muzzle. I suppose if the muzzle breaks the stock would also!

OK, back on topic.
Stalking deer is an art form and few of us are qualified to tell you how to do it. The "art" is in knowing when to hurry and when to stop and all the moves in between.

I know, for me, the slower the better when I'm inside of 100 yards. I need to force myself to stop, look and listen when inside of the magic yardage. I've blown more than succeeded but it's all tons of fun. I've even learned how to string swear-words together in poetic fashion because I was.. right there...almost!

We'll be doing some spotting and stalking on Wyo pronghorn in a few short months. That's tough but rewarding when a guy finally arrows a great buck! My 2 best bucks (antelope) have been killed this way.

Go have some fun and stick with your plan until you come up with a better one.

Zeke

All good advice!

That two point buck is potentially a nice buck; you just have to wait a little longer for it to mature.

I'm glad you have opened your eyes and realize that there could be something more rewarding than a full belly. Getting a mature mule deer with your bow is something I have not been able to do, but I keep trying. Yes, I will take a smaller buck, but only once every six years.

Good luck!!

I'm not one for telling my grandson how big of turd I had to pinch off from having to eat so much meat. I want to give him the trophies that hang from my wall and tell him the unforgettable experience that came with each and every one.

>
>
>
>________________________________________
>I'm not one for telling my
>grandson how big of turd
>I had to pinch off
>from having to eat so
>much meat. I want to
>give him the trophies that
>hang from my wall and
>tell him the unforgettable experience
>that came with each and
>every one.

Mickey,
I see you're still touting your "turd pinching" story to your grandkids. Maybe someday teach them about poise and grace as well. It will help them out more than perpetually talking about your bowel habits. Just a thought....
By the way, when you kill a smaller deer remember that you don't have to eat the whole thing at once. Moderation man, moderation.
LOL
Zeke

Look for the high alpine basins with snow still on them this time of year. These areas are where the snow melts last is where the feed will be the best come august. Unfortunately a lot of these places are extremely hard to get to but can potentially hold world class bucks. Of course your not gonna find them in every basin. As for spot and stalk. Like others have said keep the wind in your face. And chose your stalks carefully. Usually the first chance is the best chance!

one of the first lessons most people ignore is, you cant shoot a big buck, if you fill your tag on the first yearling that happens along. Another really good lesson is you cant find many big bucks from the road along with the other 500 atv riders. Its nice if you have located the buck you want to shoot in advance of the opener. So, Scout the area and find the bucks. (they are there I ELk hunt this area.) Get off the roads and HUNT, Don't shoot a 2 point. I think your competition around Mud Creek will be heavy. Look on a map and find the farthest place in the area AWAY from roads, then go there and start looking., I'll say hi if I see ya, I'll be there looking for Elk.

Just a forky

300sonora.jpg

The SPOTTING part of spot and stalk is the most important if you are looking for a bigger buck. As has been mentioned, that usually requires hiking away from where others are going and sitting for long hours behind binos and a spotting scope. Once you find where some bigger bucks are hanging, then you need to watch them and see where they typically go so the STALK part can be successful.
My son and I hunt together which is a real advantage. Once we see a good buck one of us goes after it while the other tries to direct him in on the buck. So a partner can be a help as well.
Once the little bucks stop hitting the ground, you will extend your hunt time for sure. It takes time to find the big ones.
Best of luck!

Just trying to get my point accross.

>
>>
>>
>>
>>________________________________________
>>I'm not one for telling my
>>grandson how big of turd
>>I had to pinch off
>>from having to eat so
>>much meat. I want to
>>give him the trophies that
>>hang from my wall and
>>tell him the unforgettable experience
>>that came with each and
>>every one.
>
>Mickey,
>I see you're still touting your
>"turd pinching" story to your
>grandkids. Maybe someday teach them
>about poise and grace as
>well. It will help them
>out more than perpetually talking
>about your bowel habits. Just
>a thought....
>By the way, when you kill
>a smaller deer remember that
>you don't have to eat
>the whole thing at once.
>Moderation man, moderation.
>LOL
>Zeke

I'm not one for telling my grandson how big of turd I had to pinch off from having to eat so much meat. I want to give him the trophies that hang from my wall and tell him the unforgettable experience that came with each and every one.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom