Non res question

Aaron1984

I'm looking into putting in for Nevada next year. I was thinking unit 115 or 231, 242. My question is how many points am I going to have to build before drawing?

My son and I drew 192 this year with 2 points combined (I had 2, he had 0). You can draw ANY unit with ANY amount of points. It's the luck of the draw.

Too many tags= unhappy wife

NV probably has one of the fairest draw systems around. There is no issues with points creep and everyone has an equal chance at drawing a tag. The advantages with the points is that when the wildlife service gets ready to do the draw, everyone is given a computer generated number. This number is what goes into the draw and if successful, a tag will be awarded. The more points you have, the more random numbers are generated for you and entered into the draw. Now their formula for getting these numbers is different if you put in solo or as a group. If you are solo it is whatever points you have multiplied by itself equals how many draw numbers you are granted;
Example
5 X 5 = 25 draw numbers

But if you put in as a group, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, is that pointed are still multiplied but then divided by the number of people in your group. But again, don't quote me on this as I only know about the solo side of it.

But the moral of the story is you can draw a tag anywhere with no points.

I here this every year that Nevada has the best draw system. Bull&hit!!!! The guy that is saying this statement has zero to three points. Say that when you have 14 deer points that you've spent $2240 getting, and then see how far you think the system is. Before you put in and start collecting points. Look at it that you might draw with zero or you might spend thousand of dollars to get a single deer tag.

Alot of how many points it takes before you draw has to do with what areas you are applying for. Yes you can draw with 0 points, not likely but it does happen.
Apply for top areas with few tags and yes your going to be waiting for a while usually. Apply for areas with more tags chances go up.
Even a resident usually can figure on a wait of 10+ years for a elk tag. I have waited up to 5 years for a deer tag as a resident simply because i was applying for areas that had few tags. I could draw a deer tag almost every year if i wanted.
As a non-res you should be looking at the draw odds, success rate etc. Do good research and i would bet you could draw easily even as a non-res. Remember one thing, almost every area in NV has good deer in it, just depends on how/when you hunt them. So even the areas with alot of tags shouldn't be over looked.
It is luck of the draw and some get it, some don't.

Sure, I have 0-3 points now but that is because I pulled a tag last year and prior when I hit the 7 point mark I decided trying to hold out for those low tag ares was not really worth it. As NV mentioned, look at the draw odds, read over the info sheets up on the website and make your decision then get out there and walk. You will be surprised what you will find when you get away from the roads.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom