Nosler Accubond advice needed for my sons 30-06

pls009

This will be my son's first year Elk hunting - he is 14. I'm planning on him using my Winch Model 70 30-06. All of his hunting experience has been with his .243. I personally use 180g Nosler Accubonds. He is kinda small and would like to start him out shooting 150g or 165g Accubonds. Anyone have any experience or load advice with this size bullet?

I know the 165's will work that's what i use.the 150's should be just fine my father in law uses 140's out of his 270 wsm and they work just fine to.

I think the lighter bullets will work just fine for him. Shot placement is the key to any bullets performance on game. You may want to check and see if Remington has any reduced loads for the 06 that will work to build his confidence during his learning curve. If all else fails he can kill an elk with that .243 with a good bullet. It's not the optimum situation but it has been done before. Maybe a good friend may have a 7mm/08 or .308 that would be willing to lend you, but there really isn't too much difference in the recoil. Browning makes the REACTOR recoil pads that fit in a pocket in a shirt for trap shooting and that may be the ticket for you in this situation or you could always add a brake to the gun with a thread cap for later usage. You have time and options at this point and will find a workable solution.

I use the Accubond 165's in my -06 for everything. I have no complaints. I use them for both deer and elk.

If the Rifle is sighted in using the 180's. Save some work and stick with the 180's for your son. One shot one kill! with a well placed shot. Do not relate hunter size to bullet/size/weight because the recoil is about the same.

If your going to down load the /06 you defeat the purpose of using it in the first place. That 243 is flatter shooting and faster ft/sec. Throw on the best bullet you can purchase until he gets a little bigger. Make sure you give him training on aiming for double lung shots and you will drop'm every time.

We hunt both rifle and archery. If we can kill Elk with an arrow you sure can take'm with that 243 or /06. It's all about shot placement. Teach you son that method and he will become a great hunter and not wound game that just goes off and dies for nothing.

Teach your son when to take a shot and when to pass...game for another day.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom