Nosler Accubonds

Magicman

I cashed in on Nosler's 3 for 2 boxes of 30-06 165gr, Nosler Custom Accubonds. In my rifle, they proved to be far more accurate than the Federal Premium 165gr. Partitions.

How have the Accubonds performed on Elk & Deer?

Before you die.....Take time to live

Great....a little more accurate out of my 7mmRmag and 7mm-08 than using nosler partions, so have gone to them. Used the 7mag on an elk 300yds facing at an angle hitting the point of the shoulder and droped straight down. Bullet exited @ last couple ribs. Have killed 15-20 deer and antelope(and 1 desert sheep) between the 2 calibers, high shouler shots drop straight down, heart/lung go 40-100yds and fall over dead. Bullets exit.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-11 AT 04:49PM (MST)[p]I shot the 180 Accubonds out of my 300 WSM last year on my elk hunt. Very please with how they did.

I have had excellent results in my 270 with 140 grain Accubonds.

I shoot them in my 300 Ultra mag as well, 180 grain. It kills them dead, but to be honest the bullets do not stand up very well to the high impact velocity. 200 yards and under, I have yet to recover a bullet that performed as expected.

Excellent bullets. They Make a heck of a wound channel. I'll never shoot any other bullet at big game!

I have killed three cow elk and one spike elk with 160 Accubonds in my 7mm Rem Mag. All bullets exited after destroying what they are supposed to. Very accurate bullet in my experience. FWIW that is the bullet I have loaded up for this weekend's elk hunt.

Good luck!

FH

accubonds are the fashizzle IMO,i shoot them in 8 dif calibers all with great accuracy and results,won't shoot nothing else.

i load 165's in my 300 wtby and let me tell you what they love smack'n the elk.

"if you want some get some...if your bad enough come take some"

They should work great at 30-06 velocity. The posts above where they had too rapid of expansion was with magnum velocity at shorter range.

RELH

in my 30-378 they didnt fare too well. killed the deer but didnt exit and lost about 50 precent weight. fragmented pretty bad, the shot was 265 yards. in my 06 they did a fantastic job. 90 yard shot and it was a complete pass through both shoulders.couldnt have asked for better. so i would say for 06 or 300 wm speed they are perfect. very accurate in both of my guns. but for the big gun i went with a solid bullet, yet to test it on game though.

Thanks guys, while that offer is still valid I may need to get 3 more boxes.

Before you die.....Take time to live

I gotta take issue with the "high velocity, close range" impact. I guess my results must not be typical of the Accubond. I've killed dozens of animals with them, the closest at 42 yards. Muzzle velocity of 3200 fps. In 8 years, I've never had a failure. Kinda tough to judge a bullet by one or two experiences. I am leaving to perforate an antelope with one in about an hour. mtmuley

Between my dad, my brother and myself we all shoot them, out of 270 shorts, and out of my 7mm STW. As far as deer and elk they have worked as well as anyone could hope. Bullet performance and good accuracy.
As far as antelope, I have my questions about Accubonds. We shot 3 this year with accubonds. Most every bullet shot through our goats, only poked holes in them. The exit holes were just as big as the entry holes.

My dad shot his goat a little back with the first shot, the goat soaked it up and never even flinched. We thought he missed, so he shot again. The goat again did not move a muscle. Judging only by the sound of impact, we figured he was hit at least once.
Giving the goat time, he fell over dead. Two bullet holes were found only 4 inches apart, on both sides of the goat. Pencil sized holes.

My brothers goat was shot once, but had the same sized holes.

My thoughts are if we never hit anything hard enough for the bullet to expand at all?
The damage was not what I would hope for in comparison to my experiences with deer and elk.
Over all a great bullet though. IMO

>Between my dad, my brother and
>myself we all shoot them,
>out of 270 shorts, and
>out of my 7mm STW.
> As far as deer
>and elk they have worked
>as well as anyone could
>hope. Bullet performance and good
>accuracy.
>As far as antelope, I have
>my questions about Accubonds.
>We shot 3 this year
>with accubonds. Most every bullet
>shot through our goats, only
>poked holes in them. The
>exit holes were just as
>big as the entry holes.
>
>
>My dad shot his goat a
>little back with the first
>shot, the goat soaked it
>up and never even flinched.
>We thought he missed, so
>he shot again. The goat
>again did not move a
>muscle. Judging only by the
>sound of impact, we figured
>he was hit at least
>once.
>Giving the goat time, he fell
>over dead. Two bullet
>holes were found only 4
>inches apart, on both sides
>of the goat. Pencil sized
>holes.
>
>My brothers goat was shot once,
>but had the same sized
>holes.
>
>My thoughts are if we never
>hit anything hard enough for
>the bullet to expand at
>all?
>The damage was not what I
>would hope for in comparison
>to my experiences with deer
>and elk.
>Over all a great bullet though.
>IMO

That sounds about right. Bonded bullets need some mass to expand.

I've had great luck with ABs. I think Scirrocos are a little stouter. They both hit hard.

I have used the 200 grain accubond out of a 300 win Mag to put down a 1000 lbs moose (1 shot kill), 300 lbs pig, sheep, a dozen african antilope. A guy borrowed my 300 with my 200 grain accubonds to kill a 24" mule deer at 427 yards. I think the accubonds work best if you keep the velocity under 3000 fps. They can loose alot of weight with shots close up when they hit bone. African game tends to be a little tougher then North American game. But they should work great on an elk.

I was able to shoot a cow elk last year and recover the bullet. This is the second elk I have shot with this load. Both were quick kills. I was unable to recover the bullet from the first elk. Overall, I am pleased with this bullet.

100_0020.jpg

The bullet started out at 165 gr. The recovered bullet weighed in at 128 gr, for about a 78% weight retention.

I shot it from a 30-06 at about 2850 fps muzzle velocity. The elk was at 116 yards. The bullet held together well. It seems to be a solidly bonded bullet. They are very accurate in my rifle. 2 kills in 2 years. I'm a fan.

I shoot 200 grain accubonds from my .300 RUM leaving the muzzle at 3275 fps. Just started with this load last year.

Results:

Deer #1: quartering away at 360 yards. Hit him at last rib and came out his neck on opposite side. Dead on impact.

Deer #2: broadside at 575 yards. Hit front shoulder bone, shattered it came out other shoulder through the shoulder blade and exited. Dead on impact.

Antelope: broadside at 673 yards hit him in the head (forgot to account for wind) Dang near blew his head clean off.

Elk: Broadside at 160 yards. Hit him just behind the shoulder. Exited opposite side, went through a rib on both sides. Entrance hole was 1/2 inch in diameter, exit hole was about 3 inches in diameter. Elk went 40 yards and fell over.

I LIKE THEM!!!

I have had great success with the accubond. Deer, bear, Elk and antelope same results.

Recovered this one from my bull. 180 grain from my .300 ultra mag at 295 yards.
IMG_4212.jpg

Went about 20 yards.
IMG_4159.jpg

Marley what load are you useing to push a 200 grainer at 3275, that is scooting right along.

Very accurate,COMPLETLY unreliable out of anything pushing the 3000 fps levels,Nosler will tell you this themselves if you find a rep that knows what he is talking about.

The nosler sale is a great one for anyone not handloading. The accubonds are one of my favorite bullets. Never had bad result from them yet. Shooting them in 270,30-378 and hopefully 243AI soon if nosler ever runs anymore this year!!

im shooting a 300um with the 180 accubonds and just chronoed them at 3416. That was with Double Tap ammo. Its also shooting MOA at that velocity. You might check them out.

Travis
www.RidgelineOutdoors.com
Blacks-Creek Pack Dealer
Havalon Knife Dealer

LAST EDITED ON Oct-07-11 AT 09:31PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-07-11 AT 06:27?PM (MST)

This is what a 160 grain accubond did to an antelope doe(YEARLING) at 100 yards at 2150 fps,I sent this pic to a Nosler rep and he proceeded to tell me I was shooting them beyond their ideal speed (sub 3000 fps) and only the heaviest weight in each caliber was even recommended by Nosler for hunting,I asked him where that was advertised on the box they came in and he had no answer for me.The bullet exploded on impact with the shoulder,only small fragments went further than the shoulder blade,knocked the doe down and she got up as I approached,had to finish her off with a handgun.After talking to the rep it was obvious they wernt going to stand behind these bullets whatsoever as a hunting bullet.I shoot them on a regular basis,at paper,steel and varmints,most accurate bullet I have found in my 7 and 8 mags,but I will never use them on anything I want to put down and stay down(big game).
1badbullet.jpg

For the first time this year I got to use my new accubond handloads for my .257 weatherby on a Wyoming antelope hunt. It worked great and dropped the buck in his tracks. I will shot these for a long time. I get easy sub MOA and they preform fine for me.

MTSHEDHEDZ, that looks like a very small doe (i.e. a fawn) and the black mark on the cheek makes me think it's a fawn buck. I could be wrong but that is what it looks like to me. Also that looks to be a fatal shot.

I've got some handloads throwing a 180 at 3250 for my 300 wm. My rruger loves the load, I'll let you know how they do tomorrow!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Oct-07-11 AT 09:23PM (MST)[p]Its a yearling and it was female(what difference would it make ?),your "fatal shot" would have taken quite some time to take effect,it made it 600 yards across a field and got hung up in the fence before I finished it off.None of your points have any bearing on the fact that the bullet blew up on impact and that Nosler doesn't recommend but a few of them for hunting and only in sub 300o fps loads.If the bullet cant perform out of a 3000+ fps rifle and will explode on a thin skinned animal like a yearling antelope it will never qualify as a hunting bullet in my book,shoot whatever you want,some day it may cost you an animal.The manufacturer itself has disclaimers(only in slower rounds and only in the heaviest bullet for each caliber) as to why this bullet shouldnt be used out of magnum rifles for hunting,there is a reason for it.If you want to shoot a "medium" weight bullet out of a magnum caliber at fast FPS's there are better choices for big game,these bullets arnt designed or advertised as such,they just dont advertise the fact that they arnt.They are an improvement over their epic failure the Ballistic tip though,that is undeniable.

Keep your shots long enough that the bullet will slow down before impact and it might hold together.

I have a muzzle velocity of almost 3500. My lope was shot at 110 yards. The bullet worked great for me with a .25 inch entry hole and about a 1 inch exit hole. Not sure what happened with MTSHEDHEDZ bullet. I know they worked for me @ 100 yards with 3000 + velocity. Whatever bullet you choose make sure you have confidence in them yourself. Murphy's law, whatever can go wrong will go wrong.

MTSHEDHEDZ, just wondering what caliber you were using on that goat. I'm not gonna beat you up, its obvious the bullet failed....lol. I'm just wondering.

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, US Army
"Most men go through life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Regan

I shoot them out of my 338 and my budy shoots them out of his 300 And they are extremly accurate the only time I have had an issue is when solid bone was hit. My brother shot a mule deer at fairly long range with my 338. The deer was quarting away and turned when he pulled the trigger. The bullet hit the ball jont in the hind quarter and blew the whole leg completly off. But the deer hit the ground and did not get back up. So if the bullet helps take a extremly bad shot into a fatal shot they are all right by me.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-08-11 AT 02:20PM (MST)[p]AZ,out of a 7mm rem mag.Do a search on the subject,many hunters have had problems with them when they "hit bone",the last thing you should have to worry about in a hunting bullet.

Absolutely the best bullets I have ever used. 180 gr 300 wm, lots of whitetails and 4 muleys.

T264

MTSHEDHEDZ, thats a crazy wound right there. I shoot a 7mm rem mag and I'm looking at different bullets right now for a late bull hunt. I think I've settled on a Hornady GMX 139gr factory load. Been doing research on it and it looks like a mean SOB. Because the GMX is made out of copper alloy its got a better BC because its lighter than lead core bullets. That and its 200 fps faster than their other 139 gr bullets. I'll let you know how those peform.

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, US Army
"Most men go through life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Regan

I sent this pic
>to a Nosler rep and
>he proceeded to tell me
>I was shooting them beyond
>their ideal speed (sub 3000
>fps) and only the heaviest
>weight in each caliber was
>even recommended by Nosler for
>hunting,I asked him where that
>was advertised on the box
>they came in and he
>had no answer for me.

I would bet a box of Accubonds that the rep said something like "if you're shooting a load with a muzzle velocity above 3000, we recommend the heaviest Accubond available in that caliber for better penetration" and you heard him say "Only the heaviest Accubonds are intended for hunting"

There is no way that Nosler designed only the 200gr Accubond for hunting and the 150, 165, and 180gr Accubonds are for shooting targets or varmints.

All of the Accubonds are designed for big game hunting. An Accubond is NOT a Partition...it is an Accubond. A little common sense is required when choosing bullets. Pushing any bullet that has a solid lead core past 3000fps may cause problems.

I've had terrific luck with Accubonds. I've killed game with them in .270, 7mm, and .308 calibers, with muzzle velocities from 2650fps to 3200fps.

I used my 300 WSM this weekend on a couple antelope does in Wyoming and they performed well. Launching the 165's at 3320 fps, one at 110 yards and the other at about 140 yards. Hit shoulder on both and had massive exits, about 3", DRT. Last year I used this same load on a bull elk at about 100 yards, hit no bone and had about the same results and shot a buck and doe antelope at 500 ish, same results. I also shot a bear a few weeks ago at 105 yards, hit a shoulder and still the same result as the does, buck and bull, DRT.

Additionally, in my 25/06 AI at +3000 fps, the 110 Accubond has also proven to be extremely effective on whitetails

For me personally, the Accubond has proven to be a quite reliable bullet, bone or no bone, although YMMV.

There's only 1 degree of DEAD!

They are the only bullet I have used in about the last 5 or 6 years .25 cal and in that time I have never had to shoot a deer or antelope twice...one shot one kill every time...Great bullets!!

Sounds like 75% weight retention is the norm. That's what I've experienced. With Scirrocos I get 85%. Both bullets are very consistent with these numbers.

Well, MTSHEDHEDZ, sorry you had a bad experience with an Accubond. You can't judge a bullet by ONE KILL. I killed an antelope on Sunday at about 125 yards or so with my RUM and a 200 gr Accubond. The wound doesn't look anything like what you posted in the pic. At 3200 fps muzzle velocity, the bullet was still over 3000 fps at impact.. A bullet is bound to fail once in a while, but like I posted, I bet I've killed more game animals than most on here with them. Between myself and my buds probably over 50 critters. So, I feel I can talk about their effectiveness a bit. Rest assured, they are an excellent big game bullet. You oughta try them a few more times. mtmuley

mtmuley,

Do you hand load them? I am shooting some Double Tap with 200 gr accubonds and they claim 3200 FPS. I am going to chrono them this week, but they shoot really, really well out of my RUM.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-11 AT 09:11AM (MST)[p]>Well, MTSHEDHEDZ, sorry you had a
>bad experience with an Accubond.
>You can't judge a bullet
>by ONE KILL. I killed
>an antelope on Sunday at
>about 125 yards or so
>with my RUM and a
>200 gr Accubond. The wound
>doesn't look anything like what
>you posted in the pic.
>At 3200 fps muzzle velocity,
>the bullet was still over
>3000 fps at impact.. A
>bullet is bound to fail
>once in a while, but
>like I posted, I bet
>I've killed more game animals
>than most on here with
>them. Between myself and my
>buds probably over 50 critters.
>So, I feel I can
>talk about their effectiveness a
>bit. Rest assured, they are
>an excellent big game bullet.
>You oughta try them a
>few more times. mtmuley

It may of if you hit bone. It really depends on a lot of factors. The size of the animal, where the bullet hits, the speed of the bullet when it hits the animal. I shot a few antelope ranging from 85-450 pounds all with the same 200 grain Accubond load in my 300 Win Mag traveling around 3000 fps. At ranges from 60 yards out to 450 yards. On the smaller animals it was all about shot placement. With the Accubond you never wanted to shoot a 100 pound animal in the shoulder. You hit bone with the Accubond on a small animal you get ugly results. I shot one springbok quartering away from me at 100 yards the bullet hit the off shoulder. Let's just say there was not much of a cape left. The other 4 springbok were shot at 270 yards and beyond just behind the shoulder, which is where you want to hit them with a gun like a 300 mag. With a 243 or 25-05 there is less of a concern. No big blow ups just a hole about 3/4 of an inch coming out the far side. I shot a 120 pound impala straight on facing me at 60 yards right in the center of its chest. It went down instantly, the bullet did not exit (which surprised me, and did not explode. I did not recover the bullet.

I was really unhappy with the 200 grain Accubond on the Kudu I shot. He was facing me at 11:00 I hit his left shoulder and broke it at 260 yards. The bullet lost about 45% of its mass (110 grains). It took out one of his lungs but he was not about to stop. I broke his neck with a follow up shot as he was trying to make his getaway. I did not recover that bullet, but I don't believe the bullet exited the critter.

bullets7.jpg

The bullet on the left was taken from the kudu found it in the hide on the far side just in front of his hip (this was the bullet that broke his shoulder). The one on the right was from an Oryx shot at 450. The Oryx was shot quartering away at the back of the ribs we found the bullet just under its neck on the far side. The bullet weighed 145 grains. I was happy with its performance but it did not hit any major bones. I shot a 900-1000 pound Shiras Moose last year at 325 yards right behind the shoulder and made a mess of its heart. The moose rand 10 yards and dropped dead as its heart and both lungs were soup. The bullet exited, I did not hit any major bones. Needless to say I was happy with its performance.

I love the Accubond because the high ballistic coefficient rivaling most match grade bullets. They are supper accurate. They are tougher than most standard bullets, but they are not as tough as a Partition and some other magic bullets. The faster you shoot them and the bigger the bones you hit bone they are more likely to explode on you. It's not rocket science. That can even be said of the super tuff bullets as well, but since they are tougher you can usually shoot them at faster speeds.

I shoot the 200 grain Accubond in the 300 Win Mag because I think the 180's are going too fast and more likely to explode if I hit bone and I like the higher BC for long range performance. If you shoot the 180's out of an 30-06 you will probably get really good performance when you hit bone than the same bullet traveling 300-500 fps faster.

>LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-11
>AT 09:11?AM (MST)

>I was really unhappy with the
>200 grain Accubond on the
>Kudu I shot.

>The bullet lost about 45%
>of its mass (110 grains).

>
>
>I love the Accubond because the
>high ballistic coefficient rivaling most
>match grade bullets. They are
>supper accurate. They are tougher
>than most standard bullets, but
>they are not as tough
>as a Partition and some
>other magic bullets.

Partitions often retain around 50% of their weight...your accubond retained 55%

When a Nosler rep gives me a pre prepared speech about why they fail (too fast,too light,too close,"possible hicup in the bonding process") Im not going to keep hunting with them and expect better results.I have had them blow up on a yote since then,just about blew it half.Accurate,YES,dependable out of my gun,NO.

>I have
>had them blow up on
>a yote since then

I think you're making stuff up now.

Sorry, but I just don't believe a bullet that I've broke elk shoulders with is blowing up on coyotes.

Why dont you just come right out and call me a liar then?If you dont believe its possible you know very little about bullets and the effect speed can have on them.

All right I will take the bait and call you a liar. LOL!!!!!.....

Seriously, it does seem odd that you would start out with what seemed like an isolate incidence with a doe antelope and then out of no ware you have another incidence with a yote. If you are having this issue I don't blame you for not wanting to use them anymore. I think what you are explaining is a rare incidence and nowhere near the norm with this bullet.

Are you sure you are using the Accubonds and not the BT? I can sure see that happening with the BT.

400bull

>Are you sure you are using
>the Accubonds and not the
>BT? I can sure see
>that happening with the BT.
>
>
>400bull

This is what I was thinking. Maybe you got some mixed up somehow or maybe someone even swapped out a box at the store or something. What you are describing sounds very believable for a ballistic tip.

My daughter drew a moose tag a few years ago. She normally shoots s 243 but a buddy said she needed more gun so he loaned her his 338 Win (with a muzzle brake). His loads were 180 gr. Acccubonds. We finally found bullwinkle and had a 75 yard shot in thick timber. Problem is the moose is laying down, on big critters this is not the preferred shot. If we spook him and he takes a step, he is gone. I have her hold behind the shoulder and squeeze one off. It is a good hit and the moose is in shock. After 10 seconds he stands up so I tell to shoot again just to be safe. I am sure he is already dead and just doesn't know it yet. He takes 2 steps and falls over dead.
The autopsy showed that the first shot was a little far fore ward and hit the elbow. The bullet totally disintegrated. It never made it into the rib cage. If she had not shot the second time (through the lungs), we would have had to track a big black thing in heavy timber with a sore leg.
So what did we learn?
1)Laying down is a bad shot.
2)200gr. or 225gr. might have made a difference.
3)If I had loaded up some Barnes I am pretty sure the first shot would have made it through.
I am not slamming Accubonds (the second one that was well placed did the trick), but I am more comfortable with the Barnes.

Alp75, Yep, I handload them. Have since they first came out. If I'm not mistaken, the .30 200 grain was the first available. Just did my pre-season check before my antelope hunt, 3200 fps, 1/2 inch groups...again. Sigboy66, I HAVE hit bone with the Accubond. Near, far and in between. One cannot judge the effectiveness of a bullet with just a few animals. I can with over a couple dozen dead ones. Forgive me if I find it hard to believe an Accubond blew up in any cartridge at any range when I smacked a bull at 42 yards with a RUM and a 200 grainer. Pretty brutal test if you ask me. I'm not saying the bullet is perfect, but some experience with them before blasting them would help. mtmuley

I think just about any bullet hitting a moose elbow would come a part with the exception of a solid. I'm with mtmuley on this one. A 200 grain accubond coming out of my .300 RUM at almost 3300 fps is a lethal combination for any animal on this continent. I shot a grizzly at 20 yards square in the chest with a 140 grain accubond out of my .280 pushing close to 3000 fps and we found that bullet in his pelvis mushroomed perfectly. First thing to hit the ground was his face. Stone cold dead on impact.

"I trust them with my life and so can you."

>Alp75, Yep, I handload them. Have
>since they first came out.
>If I'm not mistaken, the
>.30 200 grain was the
>first available. Just did my
>pre-season check before my antelope
>hunt, 3200 fps, 1/2 inch
>groups...again. Sigboy66, I HAVE hit
>bone with the Accubond. Near,
>far and in between. One
>cannot judge the effectiveness of
>a bullet with just a
>few animals. I can with
>over a couple dozen dead
>ones. Forgive me if I
>find it hard to believe
>an Accubond blew up in
>any cartridge at any range
>when I smacked a bull
>at 42 yards with a
>RUM and a 200 grainer.
>Pretty brutal test if you
>ask me. I'm not saying
>the bullet is perfect, but
>some experience with them before
>blasting them would help. mtmuley
>

Do you know about these?

http://www.shootersproshop.com/Products/30-200gr-AccuBond-Spitzer-Factory-2nds__AB5905.aspx

I just ordered 4 boxes (well, technically bags) of them.

Killer deal!!!

The bullets look good too. A few have a weird spot or two on the jacket, but other than that they look good.

>Why dont you just come right
>out and call me a
>liar then?If you dont believe
>its possible you know very
>little about bullets and the
>effect speed can have on
>them.

I don't think you have your facts straight. Either you mixed up your bullets or something else happened. But I'm not buying that an Accubond failed to penetrate a coyote, when I've shot quite a few elk, deer, and antelope with them and never had one blow up.

I also don't think the rep told you only the heaviest bullet in each caliber is meant for hunting game. Maybe you misunderstood him, but the entire Accubond line is desinged for hunting big game.

Sorry. It just doesn't jive with my personal experience. If you want to take that as me calling you a liar, then so be it. The internet is full of bullshit and when someone else is bashing what I have known to be a good--or in this case, exceptional--product, then I will put my two cents into the discussion as well.

I will let you know how the 200 grain .300 RUM's perform on henrys bison. (hopefully, if I can find one of those beast)

FWIW - the nosler rep recommended the 200 grain accubond over the partition. I was surprised by that...

IMO accubonds are probably the best "all around" bullet out there right now. I think there are probably better choices for extreme long distance and maybe better choices for closeup dangerous game work, but for a "do all" bullet they're at the top of my list.

I've shot dozens of animals with them from doe antelope to moose and think they're the (accu) bomb.

>>Why dont you just come right
>>out and call me a
>>liar then?If you dont believe
>>its possible you know very
>>little about bullets and the
>>effect speed can have on
>>them.
>
>
>I don't think you have your
>facts straight. Either you
>mixed up your bullets or
>something else happened. But
>I'm not buying that an
>Accubond failed to penetrate a
>coyote, when I've shot quite
>a few elk, deer, and
>antelope with them and never
>had one blow up.
>
>I also don't think the rep
>told you only the heaviest
>bullet in each caliber is
>meant for hunting game.
>Maybe you misunderstood him, but
>the entire Accubond line is
>desinged for hunting big game.
>
>
>Sorry. It just doesn't jive
>with my personal experience.
>If you want to take
>that as me calling you
>a liar, then so be
>it. The internet is
>full of bullshit and when
>someone else is bashing what
>I have known to be
>a good--or in this case,
>exceptional--product, then I will put
>my two cents into the
>discussion as well.

I think you have your head so far up your ass you wouldnt know the difference and I doubt anyone cares any more than I do what you think,WTH would anyone lie about these bullets failing,why are the hunting forums peppered with similar reports?If you are naive enough to go through life doubting everyone who doesnt agree with your vast wisdom thats your problem,but I doubt you have half the nerve you pretend to have on an internet forum and Id like to see you call someone a liar to their face instead of making the half-ass insinuations you are so well known for here.You favorite bullet failed,miserably,and it happens quite often,it has limitations and they fall well below my choice of rifle and load,deal with it.

>So what did we learn?
>1)Laying down is a bad shot.
>
>2)200gr. or 225gr. might have made
>a difference.
>3)If I had loaded up some
>Barnes I am pretty sure
>the first shot would have
>made it through.
>I am not slamming Accubonds (the
>second one that was well
>placed did the trick), but
>I am more comfortable with
>the Barnes.

Sectional density really helps penetration. The bones in a mooses legs are big. Of all the bullets to shoot in a .338 the 180 is the lightest bullet. A heavier accubond would have maybe made the difference. I like to shoot the 200 grainers in my 300 win mag cause even if the loose some lead out of the bullet I have more lead in the bullet than the 180's, 165's, or 150's.

>>as a Partition and some
>>other magic bullets.
>
>Partitions often retain around 50% of
>their weight...your accubond retained 55%
>

There are tougher bullets out there. The speer 200 grain grandslam for one. I seen one take out alot of bone on an more so than my kudu and retain 3/4's of its weight. I am not knocking the Accubond, I just think they are not as tough as bullet as people may think. They are a good bullet.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-11 AT 10:31PM (MST)[p]>Alp75, Yep, I handload them. Have
>since they first came out.
>If I'm not mistaken, the
>.30 200 grain was the
>first available. Just did my
>pre-season check before my antelope
>hunt, 3200 fps, 1/2 inch
>groups...again. Sigboy66, I HAVE hit
>bone with the Accubond. Near,
>far and in between. One
>cannot judge the effectiveness of
>a bullet with just a
>few animals. I can with
>over a couple dozen dead
>ones. Forgive me if I
>find it hard to believe
>an Accubond blew up in
>any cartridge at any range
>when I smacked a bull
>at 42 yards with a
>RUM and a 200 grainer.
>Pretty brutal test if you
>ask me. I'm not saying
>the bullet is perfect, but
>some experience with them before
>blasting them would help. mtmuley
>

I like the 200 grain accubond but there are tougher bullets out there. They are not as accurate as the accubond. But in my mind shot placement is more an important factor than toughness. I have personally shot and killed 14 animals 85-1000 pounds animals with my 300 mag and the 200 grain accubonds. One other mule deer and 1 other springbok were shot with my rifle and my 200 grain loads by other people. 0 animals lost. A few required more than one shot. Most did not.

The shot on the kudu in which I broke the shoulder did not leave a massive exit wound. But I think there are better bullets that can break bones and still retain enough weight to penetrate deeper and break bones on the other side. It was more than enough bullet for the 450 # kudu. The bigger the animal the less likely your are going to see a massive exit wound.

Smaller animals with big rifles are going to make them explode when you hit bone. Ever shoot a rabbit with a 223? The effects are explosive Shooting a doe pronghorn with a 7 or 300 mag is like shooting a rabbit with a .223 especially if you hit bone. Just my opionion for what it is worth. I had only room for one rifle in africa so I took the one I was most confident in.

I am not changing my load anytime soon. It is my favorite rifle and catridge combination for hunting.

>I think you have your head
>so far up your ass
>you wouldnt know the difference
>and I doubt anyone cares
>any more than I do
>what you think,WTH would anyone
>lie about these bullets failing,why
>are the hunting forums peppered
>with similar reports?If you are
>naive enough to go through
>life doubting everyone who doesnt
>agree with your vast wisdom
>thats your problem,but I doubt
>you have half the nerve
>you pretend to have on
>an internet forum and Id
>like to see you call
>someone a liar to their
>face instead of making the
>half-ass insinuations you are so
>well known for here.You favorite
>bullet failed,miserably,and it happens quite
>often,it has limitations and they
>fall well below my choice
>of rifle and load,deal with
>it.

1) The internet is not "peppered" with similar reports; the vast majority of people who replied to this thread believe Accubonds are good, if not great bullets

2)Since when am I known for making half-ass insinuations here??? laffin...I don't think even NONYA could come up with something like that

Maybe you should stick to hunting sheds so you don't have to deal with anymore bullet "failures"

There is another thread about Barnes TSX bullet failures. In that thread MTSHEDHEDZ wrote this "They were doing something wrong, TSXs don't fail without help". He later wrote "A whole lot of these "failures" sound like poor shot placement, even if the bullet didn't expand proper shot placement would have killed the animal". I am just saying...

LAST EDITED ON Oct-13-11 AT 10:31PM (MST)[p]Yes, this guy is a bullshitter of the first order. I even question the lope he claims to have shot let alone the yote.

And, I will go on record and call him a "liar" or unreasonably hardheaded for the sake of being contrary.

Well i shot my bull last weekend with my 280 and a 140 grain accubond and his as tipped over as fast as the bullet hit him. I love them . Accuracy is great and i have shot two animals with them since i got the rifle and both were one shot kills. I say shoot em and enjoy the meat!!

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

LAST EDITED ON Oct-15-11 AT 06:02PM (MST)[p]Sonofabitch! I forgot to google about my bullet on the internet before I started killing stuff with it. 8 Fricking years ago. MTSHEDHEDZ, You do not have enough experience with the Accubond to form an opinion, much less post it on this forum. mtmuley Oh yeah, I bet if you "googled" Barnes (insert bullet) failures, or any other make of bullet with the word failure, you would get PEPPERED with zero responces.

tried what you said typed in Barnes TSX failure, wow you are right the infallible internet is full...

>LAST EDITED ON Oct-15-11
>AT 03:33?PM (MST)

>
>BTW go to Google and type
>in NOSLER ACCUBOND FAILURE and
>read the links,tell me its
>not all over the internt
>moron.
>
>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...2l0l10953l35l33l3l13l3l2l516l3313l3-5.1.2l8l0

I don't see any formal "reports" from reliable sources.

What I see are a bunch of idiots like you spouting off about something they have little experience with.

And I still didn't see anything about Accubonds failing on coyotes...laffin...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom