NOV-RAC/Board meeting- Big game changes 2014

goofyelk

Very Active Member
First off - Monroe, elimanating spike elk rifle hunting..

Page 1, item 3,

3. In May 2013, the Wildlife Board gave the Southern Region and action log item to determine if the Monroe
unit required a different hunting strategy for spike elk. The region met with local sportsmen to discuss the
issue this fall. As a result, we recommend eliminating the any weapon portion of spike elk hunting on the
Monroe unit until the statewide elk plan is approved (roughly 2 years).

Other items:
inclluded are exsanding units for potentional deer trasplants.

recommend allowing archery hunting of big game on select Waterfowl Management Areas

recommend splitting the Book Cliffs LE deer hunt into north and south units during the any weapon
hunt. This is to address discrepancies in buck to doe ratios in the north and south portions of the Book
Cliffs.

recommend removing bull elk from the Sanpete Valley Extended Archery elk hunt

recommend adding a Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep hunt for units 16A and 17A (Wasatch, West and
Central Mtns, Nebo).

Just a heads up and a link to the full packet:
http://wildlife.utah.gov/public_meet...rac_packet.pdf

Any thoughts?--------Quite a few changes proposed for 2014!

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

I agree with the big horn hunting on the wasatch, we also need a hunt on the deep creeks, and by lake Powell where there is currently not a unit. My view is if we have rams, even if it will only sustain a hunt every 4-5 years we should allow it. The reason being is if the ram is dying of old age, we are doing a disservice to the sportsman, and the game animal. I also hate the spike hunts, on the principle that we are killing off next years elk crop. I know we need to limit them more, also nothing against archery guys I love my bows, but seriously you get the first and last hunt for deer and elk and over two months to hunt. While muzzleloader hunting you only get 9 days (harder then rifle), and rifle you get 9 days. We should be allowed to use muzzleloaders on the extended for at least a week or so, it is only fair. I love my muzzleloader but hate to put in to draw for it because I know I am at two disadvantages, a time disadvantage as well as a accuracy disadvantage.

I would like to see a 3 point or bigger rule implemented on the general units, at least a select few to start off for like 3 years to see if it will help out. I also feel that youth in these units should be able to shoot what they want.

I am already seeing it taking 1-3 points to draw a deer tag (archery or rifle) in my area, lets make it a decent hunt.

Jake H. SHED OR DEAD IT DONT MATTER TO ME!!!
458738e374dfcb10.jpg

I agree partially, I am tired of the youth hunts getting better options than the adult hunts. The reason being is when we were at 5 units state wide when they changed the rifle hunt to 5 days they gave youth hunters longer, and still do. I would be okay with a 2 point of better restriction for youths on one side (including eye guards) but seriously the way we do youth hunts is plain stupid. There has to be a better way, like maybe giving them so many tags on a Henery's management tag, or do a management tag on all limited entry for youths, elk included. It would help the gene pool and it would give youth hunters a chance at a great animal.

Many years ago... can't remember how many but it was a lot, I was young back then. :) They ran a set of 3point or bigger hunts and I thought it was shown to be a negative because of the affect on the gene pool and such.

sled_guy

>I would like to see a
>3 point or bigger rule
>implemented on the general units,
>at least a select few
>to start off for like
>3 years to see if
>it will help out.
>I also feel that youth
>in these units should be
>able to shoot what they
>want.
>
>I am already seeing it taking
>1-3 points to draw a
>deer tag (archery or rifle)
>in my area, lets make
>it a decent hunt.
>
>
>Jake H. SHED OR DEAD
>IT DONT MATTER TO ME!!!
>
>
458738e374dfcb10.jpg

I would like to see the landowner tag program revamped. The fish and game is handing out landowner tags like candy around here. What is the use to cut tags when you give everyone a landowner tag that didn't draw. Some people getting tags do not even have a deer within 10 miles of their property. Even companies are applying for them and raffling off to their employees. What a joke. I would like to seem landowner tags only valid for private property.

I know it's not an apples to apples comparison but I just finished hunting deer in a 3 point or better area in Wyoming. Much better quality of deer hunting there compared to Utah imo.

Youth hunters are allowed to hunt all three hunts if the draw a rifle tag if I remember correctly. Also it seems that they cater to youth hunters which is fine and dandy but at the same time it should be equal on some hunts. Like maybe give youth hunters a option to hunt a management tag on some limited entry units to cull bucks and elk from the gene pool, while not allowing them to hunt the limited entry unit other then management hunts period. Stuff like that would even it out. Also I feel CWMU tags should be a 50% split not the current split they get. Seriously they almost give more private tags for moose then public tags in the draw. This is a public resource I do not care if its on private property, its still a state owned animal and if we changed it to a 50% split they would still come because they are making a lot of money off these tags. Also I feel its out of line that the CWMU's usually compensate for antlered game tags with antler less tags seriously thats just not right.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom