NR eligible 4 Hybid Tags

I don't think so, cause there needs to be 10%??? available and with only 1 or 2 tags, you can't get that percentage for NR's. You would have to check the regs to verify though...

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

"It is my penis, and I will wash it as fast and as long as I want to!" :)

LAST EDITED ON Jan-24-13 AT 10:58PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-24-13 AT 10:19?PM (MST)

Dunno where you guys are coming from at all.

From the formulas, those units eligible for hybrid tags (such as elk units 201, 2, 10, and 61)..........20% of the NR allocated tags can be hybrid tags. So if there are at least 5 NR tags for those hunts (and there are).....then at least one hybrid tag can go to a NR.

There is nothing that I can find stating that NR's cannot apply for or be issued hybrid tags.

I was told by PWS or fish and game, that a non-resident could if as others said there is enough of a quota. I would suggest checking with Colorado Parks and Wildlife...

Because of the way they wrote the rules for the Hybrid Draw, NR may never draw a tag by this method. Read here:

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollectionDocuments/DOW/Hunting/BigGame/HybridDraw/HybridDrawFAQ.pdf

Also keep in mind that NR are not ALLOCATED any deer or elk tags whatsoever in Colorado. Not 20%, not 35%. Only residents are guaranteed at least 80% or 65% of the general allocation (after removing the landowner tags), and they may draw up to 100% of the allocation for a particular hunt code. In rare cases, they actually do.

The only way for NR to draw elk or deer tags is if their preference point status equals or exceeds that of residents for the particular hunt in question. This is why there can be no Hybrid tags allocated to non-residents PRIOR to the draw.

In the three years of the program, I've yet to see a single NR come forward on any message board that I frequent, and state that they drew a Hybrid tag in the Colorado draw. However, many many residents have. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but seems like we'd have heard from someone by now.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-25-13 AT 07:01PM (MST)[p]sticksender,

I did some further research based on your comments. I agree and disagree with you, and here's why.

From the 2012 brochure, read the 'license allocations' paragraph on page 3. It very clearly states that nonresidents are allocated (and it uses that very word) up to either 20% or 35% depending on the hunt. If you are trying to state that in the case that the NR applications are fewer then these allocations and so the residents get the extra tags, then you are correct. Also, if you are saying that all applications whether res or NR are drawn from the same pool until the cap is reached....then you might be correct although I don't understand why the CPW website has a report listing 'pref points needed to draw each hunt' separating res from NR with different required pref point counts listed for each under the same hunt. Can you or anyone else elaborate on this???

Regarding the hybrid tag issue, read the 'Hybrid Drawing' section on page 5. It very directly states that nonresidents are eligible.

Also, as an example, read the 2012 elk drawing summary available online. On page 4, using the early rifle elk hunt for unit 10 as an example, hunt code EE010E1R, it states that the overall tag quota was 32, with 4 going to landowners. It further states that 5 of the 28 general quota tags were set aside for the hybrid draw. Nonresidents are allowed no more than 1 (20%) of these 5 since this hunt is a 20% NR cap hunt.

The hybrid draw is not a preference point based draw, it is a random one. That is the whole entire point of it. Every applicant has a chance if they are qualified to apply whether res or NR, at least until the cap is met. I am qualified to apply for this hunt..........and if I'm drawn and no other NR has taken the 1 NR tag yet........I get it.

Also, if you read the hunting recap reports for these few high quality LQ elk hunts, you will see that a good portion (and maybe even the majority) of applications are from NR's. So it's pretty likely that some of the first 5 names pulled out of the hat are NR's and 1 of the 5 tags would go to a NR.

Interesting and enlightening discussion anyway.

StripBuckHunter, the reason a non res will not get drawn for the hybrid tag in unit 10, is because the non res have more points then the res, and the non res use up the 20% non res allocation before they do the hybrid draw. So once 20% go to the non res in the preference draw, non res are not allowed to draw a tag in the hybrid draw because that would be over the 20% allocation for that draw code.

Hope that makes sense.

I'm still not there. Feel free to convince me, tho.

Reading the upper right of page 5 in the 2012 regs, 20% of the tags will go to the Hybrid Tags..........these are dedicated to the entire separate 'Hybrid Drawing' prior to OR AFTER the overall drawing..........doesn't matter the timing. This seems to be the CPW rule from the word go.

Go back to my comment about this equates to 5 tags in the hunt discussed as an example here. This is established BEFORE the draw............that is the whole, entire point in the Hybrid Tag principle.

If the Hybrid Tags are not separated out before any draw.................WTF is the point???

Dirty Tough tells it like it is on the Hybid Draw!!!!!
If you don't think he is right, then call the one that dose the DRAW!! Henrietta Turner(employee of DOW and now CPW)is responsible for the drawing process.Call her and it will save you lots of time!!! Henrietta Turner works out of the Denver Office!!!!!!!!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-26-13 AT 12:08PM (MST)[p]stripbuck, the hunt brochure doesn't explain the total detail on how the Hybrid Draw works. But they published more info in the Hybrid Draw FAQ document, which is at the link that I provided above, and published by the CDOW in 2010. You need to read that to fully understand the algorithms they have employed for the Hybrid Draw. In that document is explained just what Dirty Tough reiterates above....that NR can reach their allocation ceiling at any point during the draw, and prior to the Hybrid portion.

Regarding the "allocation" of tags, again NR are not allocated (guaranteed) any tags in the Elk and Deer draws in Colorado. They only have an "allocation ceiling", with no minimum guarantee of any number of tags. NR must depend on having equal or more points than residents for a particular tag, in order to be eligible to draw any tags. They can draw very few (or even zero) tags in a given hunt. All available tags can go to residents. That's just the way it's set up. It rarely happens, but it sometimes does, and you can find examples by quickly scanning the draw summaries for elk and deer.

It is only in the Sheep, Moose, and Mt Goat draws that NR are allocated tags, meaning they have their own separate draw for 10% of the general allocation.

The only Hybrid tags NR might possibly get are ANTELOPE. That's because there's no allocation ceiling for NR in the Antelope draw. But a few things work against NR on this:

There are 14 Antelope hunt codes in the Hybrid Draw. But 8 of those 14 are RFW (ranching for wildlife) hunts, which NR can't apply for. Then consider that residents participating in the Antelope Draws outnumber non-residents by 10 to 1. So it's possible to happen for a NR, but the odds are poor.

BTW, if you look at the hunt codes in the Hybrid Draw for DEER, you'll also notice that 11 of the 13 are RFW hunts, again....NR are not even allowed to apply for those.

Okay guys, I finally read all of sticksender's linked document......I originally didn't notice that it was more than one page long. The colored flowchart on the last page explains it clearly. The hybrid tag drawing is not a set aside tag draw pool as far the NR cap concept goes.

But............it is not a correct statement for anyone to say that NR's cannot apply for a hybrid tag outside of RFW hunts.

Thanks for the enlightenment. Looks like I should move back to Colorado..........

Thanks dudes for answering my questions. I do challenge........only cuz I don't trust any single person's opinions on the net or anywhere else in life.

The CO drawing rules are comically complicated and nonsensical on this issue and are similarly just as messed up here in Arizona. So much so that I get a kick out of it when the state G & F Depts screw up all over the west (and they do) cuz they don't understand their own drawing rules and mess up their own drawings and issue tags they shouldn't.

Many times, it's easier for me (although I've had GREAT success playing the PP/BP game in many western states) to save and to sacrifice and to get out my checkbook and buy a unit wide landowner tag and hunt just as if I had drawn the tag thru the unnecessarily complicated system.

Here's my Colorado unit 10 early-rifle bull taken in 2009 on public land.

717bull_4.jpg

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom