NR Elk Changes in 2016?

BPKHunter

Very Active Member
I went online to the 2016 brochure and didn't see any notable changes, to elk. Are there any that you know we should be aware of?

The Wyoming Game and Fish, in their continued efforts to confuse things in NW Wyoming, has created yet another LE elk unit. That unit is 51-2. The east boundary of the unit is somewhat nebulous. It isn't a unit that I would put in for. However, if you like public land elk hunts with lots of grizzly bears and wolves, it may be right up your alley.

just sayin....mh

I'm not quite following you MH. It looks like all they did is split the existing unit 51 into 2 sections using the Clarks Fork River as the divider and now you have to apply for one side or the other instead of having the entire unit under one license. Do you see that as a problem, as it looks like the other types of tags are for the entire unit. What am I missing since you live right up in that area?

Topgun,

They have been creating and splitting up LE elk units in NW Wyoming for the last few years. The boundaries have changed in recent years in LE 51 numerous times. It now includes Crandall Creek but a couple years back it didn't. It used to include the Dead Indian Meadows area and now it doesn't. At one time, the boundary was Sunlight Creek, now it isn't. I believe 54-2 used to be 50. I believe 53-1 used to be part of 51. 53-2 used to be 121. In 2013,I took a decent bull using a 51 tag in an area that became 53-1 in 2014. Since that change, there is little chance of drawing that 53-1 tag. All the elk general hunts have disappeared with the exception of one on the North Fork of the Shoshone.

The west boundary of the 51-2 is obvious. The boundary between the new 51-2, and the recently created 54-2,is now kind of nebulous. Much of 51-2 is accessed from the Beartooth Highway. That highway is often closed long before the season ends in the new 51-2. I wouldn't waste my one shot at drawing an elk tag on 51-2 unless you like to see lots of grizzly bears and wolves, or want to do some trout fishing. The constant changing of the boundaries by those in charge has made it all a little more confusing for hunters and it screws up the long term review of harvest reports. The constant screwing around with boundaries is a trap for the unwary and is a pet peeve of mine. In the last year, I have heard members of the Game and Fish privately mention that they may have screwed up by switching the Sunlight-Crandall area to LE from general.

By the way, I haven't drawn an elk tag for the last two years and I have little hope of drawing one this year. It may be general season mule deer hunting with the outside chance of a sheep tag. Although I did hunt deer in Idaho in 2015,I doubt I will next year. It is all about being outside in some beautiful country so I don't stress over it. However, I do call it like I see it.

just sayin...mh

Thanks for the explanation mh. I figured since you live right up in that general area that you would have the skinny on things and what you say makes sense if they keep switching the actual boundaries around. Sometimes it makes you wonder why people don't let well enough alone and it sounds like from what you're saying thatmay be exactly what has been happening out there the last few years.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom