NR Hunter Education class April 5, 2014

DonMartin

Very Active Member
The Kingman Hunter Ed team will be conducting their last Supplemental class of this year on Saturday, April 5, 2014 at the Mohave Sportsman Club's 7 Mile Hill Range in Kingman, AZ.

This is a one-day (10-12 hour) class for those who have taken and passed a Hunter Ed class in another state since 1980.

There is no field day, all class room, and I think those who take the class will walk away with a lot more knowledge of Arizona rules and regulations, plus a detailed explanation of how our draw system works.

I am absolutely prejudiced about recommending this class, and I make no bones about it. If you want to learn about Arizona and the draw, and not worry about showing me you know how to shoot a 22 rifle, then this is your class.

Kingman is about 100 miles from Vegas, so we're easy to get to.

I think if you ask some fellow NR sportsmen who have taken it in the past, they might agree agree (some might not!) but I can guarantee you that the point will be added BEFORE the 2014 deer and sheep draws!

Class is LIMITED in size so don't wait. Get signed up and make your plane reservations!

You have to contact Dave Williams at G&F in Phoenix (623-236-7903) to sign up for the class. You'll have to FAX IN your Hunter Ed card too.

Cost of the one-day class is a whopping $7.50

Got any questions? You can contact me at [email protected] or by cell at 928-303-9481.

I'll also try and find a local motel that will give you a little discount on a good clean place to stay if you call me.

Don Martin
Chief Instructor
Arizona Hunter Education

Thanks Don for the class. Well informed. I recommended if you apply in AZ this class is a no brainer.

Jason "The Big Ol' Muley"

Don---Im all for these clases etc but are you for or againt the new changes that will basically screw non residents and especially us with max points. I hope you are lobbying againt it!!

This is truly a good news/bad news deal for NR's.

Those with max or near max points are gonna take a hit, no doubt about it. Might want to re-think your application strategy this and next year...

Those just starting in the "game" will now have a chance at some premium tags, something they've never had before.

My personal feeling is with those who have played the "game" the longest; played by the rules, did their due diligence every year and have spent a lot of money to be where they are at, should NOT be penalized with a change.

But I think I know the reasoning behind the proposed change..not too hard to figure that out.

Unfortunately I think that this new rule will be adopted as it has a possible positive effect on more people than those who have been in the system the longest.

Again, just my personal feeling on this as one person; not as an Hunter Ed instructor or as a outfitter/guide.

Change always brings out disagreement among sportsmen on the merits of that which is being proposed.

Suggest that everyone write to the Department and Commission and let them know YOUR feelings, as YOU are the ones who count!

Don Martin

LAST EDITED ON Apr-20-14 AT 06:50PM (MST)[p]Why couldn't they just add 2 tags to every draw that would be available to everyone. It would get more people applying and wouldn't hurt population or loyal customers in any way. They could try this for acouple years and if it don't work then split tags. The way they are explaining now though eliminates many hunts for people who hunt with a partner. Hunting with a partner is a big safety concern and a preference for many including myself and all do it yourself guy's I know.

We do not have a Nonresident Supplemental Class scheduled until the first Saturday in January 2015 in Region III at this time. The next Online Field Day in the Region III area in June 14 @ the Tri-State Shooting Park in Ft. Mohave, AZ (near Bullhead City, AZ & Laughlin, NV. You must have completed the online version of the AZGFD HUNTER ED COURSE within the past 90 days to get in on the Online Field Day.
Jim Rich
AZGFD VHET CI

We are having a two weekend resident class (Non residents can also take it if you are around!)starting the last Saturday/Sunday in July and finishing up on the first Saturday/Sunday in August.

This works out great for kids who have drawn fall big game tags and need the Hunter Ed class before they can go hunting.

Pre-register with Jim Rich for this class as spaces are limited.

This class will be held in Kingman at the Mohave Sportsman Club's 7 Mile Hill Range.

Don Martin
Chief Instructor
AZ Hunter Education
928-303-9481
[email protected]

The firm dates for the class are July 26 & 27 & August 2 from 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM, and August 3 from 6:30 AM - 3:00 PM. The classes will be held in the Mohave Sportsman Clubhouse on the grounds of the 7 Mile Hill Range in Golden Valley. The course fee is $8.00. If you want to get in on the class, please contact me at:

Jim Rich
[email protected]
wk# 928-788-2777
cell # 928-444-3397

LAST EDITED ON Jun-05-14 AT 10:35AM (MST)[p]Both days, class and field, unless you did the online and printed out the test score (post #7).

The only 1 day classes are the NR supplemental classes.

I took hunters safety in 1974 in southern Cal. If you want to get a point for the draw is it just the NR supplemental ? Since I took hunters safety so long ago, do I need to take it again for Arizona?

LAST EDITED ON Jun-06-14 AT 02:27AM (MST)[p]Just to clarify...The class conducted over the dates of July 26 & 27 & August 2 & 3 is a full classroom course with a Field Day, attendance at all 4 days is required. This is the AZ Resident Class we teach in Kingman & Golden Valley twice a year and is about 33 hours in length. Anyone can attend, but the length of the class over 4 days doesn't work well for most nonresidents.

Nonresidents can avail themselves of the Nonresident Supplemental Class, which we conduct twice a year (first Saturday in January & usually the first Saturday in April) in the Mohave Sportsman Club Clubhouse on the grounds of the 7 Mile Hill Range in Golden Valley. This is a one day class that has a prerequisite of proof of prior completion of your home state's Hunter Education Course since 1980.

The other option is to complete the online version of the Arizona Hunter Education Course and travel to Arizona for a 4 hour Field Day where you will witness a firearms demonstration, perform a live-fire exercise with a .22 rimfire bolt-action rifle, participate in a simulated hunt with a fence crossing & a blood-trailing exercise. The field day concludes with a 50 question exam similar to the one taken at the conclusion of the Online Course. Assuming a passing score, the student will be issued an Arizona Hunter Education Graduate Card on the spot and will have earned the Permanent Hunter Education Bonus Point.

There is a new program being held at the Ben Avery Shooting Complex in Phoenix of a modified Online Field Day whereby if an Online Course completed student can prove 3 years of past hunting experience, they can complete a station oriented course at their own pace (reports have typical students completing the program in 60-90 minutes)& earn their Hunter Ed Card & the PBP.

The Department's Hunter Ed Branch is working to accommodate as many students as possible with these class variations. There are other models, such as the weekend course and the camp-out course but they don't work as well logistically for nonresidents as the NRS or the Online Field Day.

If anyone out there is lacking the Online Field Day to complete their AZ hunter ed requirement you may want to enroll in the June 14th course being held in Ft. Mohave, AZ. I don't know of another Field Day being held this close to CA, NV, or Utah before the application deadline. We have about 10 spots open for students at the moment. There are loads of available rooms in Laughlin, NV and we are starting the class at 7:00 AM to beat the heat as much as possible.

Jim Rich
AZGFD Region III VHET CI
928-788-2777 or 928-444-3397
[email protected]

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom