Observation in wearing orange

forkhunter

There are always guys who point out when hunters are not wearing orange in their harvest photos on this site. I am a supporter of the orange laws myself and have to admit that I found myself agreeing in a couple of the posts.

However, I looked back through all of my harvest photos during the holidays and was surprised to see that I was not wearing orange in NUMEROUS photos. Seems strange since I ALWAYS wear orange when hunting---even where the law does not require it.

I can remember in a couple of them that I took a heavier jacket off and/or my hat off before the pictures because of warmth. On the couple others---I just can't remember why I would have taken it off before the photo. I NEVER RIFLE HUNT WITHOUT ORANGE. Just an observation................ I guess I am more absent-minded than I thought.................................

Orange in pics does not bother me at all, it helps tell the story whether it was a gun kill, bow kill, shot in a state that requires orange or not, etc. I take a picture in what I was wearing when I harvested the animal, it helps me remember the moment.

Lien2

After the animal is killed and tagged is the hunt over?Do you still need orange on..?Your not hunting anymore..Buddies that are helping with the animal and are not hunting don't need orange...:RIMROCK

I would think if it was a gun hunt the "buddies" would wear orange for there own saftey.. I know here in utah during the rifle hunt I would wear orange when up in the hills.... I know hunters are supposed to know what their target is but accidents happen every year!

I would be more prone to having orange on dragging a buck out than actually hunting with it, though I do always. I've heard of several accidents involving a hunter not wearing orange with a buck on his shoulder shot at. It's sad but there are people out there that just shoot at horns...

Dman,

I agree. When transporting a buck (we almost always pack them), I hang a small cloth orange around the antlers that I always carry with me. Better safe............

I HATE hunter orange!
As soon as I can, it get's shed!

I like the "cary" method of hauling out a deer, and you can bet yer hat 'an axe that deer is draped in orange before I pick it up!

I understand on General season hunts ( been on afew myself ). I guess my question was on a CWMU HUNT when your the only hunter that drew a tag for the area..:RIMROCK

<I like the "cary" method of hauling out a deer, and you can bet yer hat 'an axe that deer is draped in orange before I pick it up!>
Yeah ------ 30 YEARS AGO....RIMROCK

I'm almost positive that if you are in the field with a hunter during modern firearm season in Washington, hunting or not that you are required to wear orange. I also think that you are required to continue wearing it even if you harvest an animal...other Washingtonians may correct me? It gives me the itch...must be allergic! ha But the law is the law...

That is correct, if your packing hardware, packing an animal, if your doing one or the other or both, you are "hunting".My personal feeling also is anyone hiking, etc.. in an open hunting area ought to have to wear it too. Just makes sense. Why is someone hiking with hardware different from someone hiking with just a pack in an open area??

Sorry, I see now you also stated the other person is not a hunter. I don't believe Wa.. State law requires a non-hunter to have orange on. If they are unarmed and are not packing game they are not hunting. That's an interesting question though, what if you help your bud out packing an animal. I believe then you'd legally have to toss on the orange even if unarmed.

There are to many idiots taking sound shots to be safe not wearing orange here in WA. I want them to see me, LOL. After you get a couple miles off the road it is not too bad, but within shooting distance (or sight) of a road, you are putting your life in danger by not wearing orange.
That and people using their scope as binos...can't count the times I have been glassing some distance out and some idiot is looking at me through his scope. Gives me shivers every time.

There are only two types of people - The Hunters and the hunted,
I hunt.
Alchase

I live in Washington but seldom hunt in this state. If I had my choice I would never wear hunter orange. I don't think it does anything to protect hunters from idiots that would shoot at something they can't verify first. I read every year of hunters being shot wearing hunter orange. I love hunting in Idaho and they don't require orange.

And if I am not mistaken, there is NO increase in shooting 'accidents' in Idaho than in Washington. Makes me wonder to true value of wearing orange.

I do agree with you Keith, I don't like wearing it either and I do absolutely believe deer can see it better. I was on a ridge glassing once above a doe looking the other direction. she was looking over 400 yards away at a guy in solid orange just sitting there. Deer do see orange better than camo colors! Some have tried to tell me different. I do wear as much of it as I can when hunting western Wa. for no other reason than the crowding factor. I'd like to think if I'm sitting on a ridge behind a deer (as happened this year), that a guy shooting at it will see me better behind it.

The hunting safty courses at our gun club state that the decrease in hunting shooting accidents since the inception of the blaze orange requirement is somewhere around 50%, I do not know the exact number, but it was sure an eye opener.
I do think deer can see it though. Research says that deer do not see color but contrast, so walking through the woods with a big piece of solid orange or any color would be like waving a flag. I take a black marker and do a home camo job on all ours to breakup the solid color. Honestly I do not know if it really makes a difference but make me feel better, LOL.
My hunting buddy swears the orange attracts hunters to you because they "can" see you.
I figure if I do get shot, it won't be by your average idiot, but a color blind idiot, LOL.

There are only two types of people - The Hunters and the hunted,
I hunt.
Alchase

When I started hunting in Montana and it was the middle seventies the law required blaze orange. Hunting doesn't seem the same without some orange, just seems to fit in with the season. I've sat still and had numerous deer and elk walk or bed down within site of me and not run off unless the wind changed or I moved. People will see me though. When I started hunting in Washington, the group I hunted with were die-hard non-orange. They seemed to think they were ninjas and other hunters would try to kill them if wore orange. Now that it's the law they wear the stuff. No one's killed anyone yet.

I wear it, but it makes me stand out in the crowd because nobody else does. During a recent cow elk hunt with a simulataneous extended archery hunt in progress, I didn't see another hunter wearing orange whether they were carrying a rifle or a bow.

My question is, why does a rifle hunter need camo?

I agree with you Legolas, there is no need to wear camo if you are rifle hunting. That being said, most decent hunting apparel today is camo. Lots of the stuff I wear during archery is the same stuff I use when rifle hunting.

I don't understand the uproar about having to wear orange. I think it is good for safty reasons. Obviously some will, and have, disagreed with this. Fine, but if it is the law, put it on. It is no big deal to throw on an orange cap or an orange vest.

Do deer see orange better? I doubt it, but I am not going to debate it as there is no real point to it anyway. I do know it has never cost me a deer. I have been busted by movement and wind many times, but I have never had a deer lock on to me and run-off while I have been sitting and wearing my blaze.

When I take field shots, I take off my orange as I think it distracts from the critter. Not sure if this is legal or not.

I usually wear a camo jacket and hat with blue jeans. It not that rifle hunters need camo it's just the idea of looking like the great pumpkin while I'm hunting. I would prefer other hunters don't see me. I have used other hunters many times to jump deer for me. I don't mind the idea of having orange just on my back I guess. To me it just doesn't fit in the outdoors. I like to blend in while in the woods.

I think that the most important time to wear orange is when you are packing out an animal. seeing horns moving through the brush would get any hunter to bring his gun up. On the other hand, I can't believe that a hunter walking upright across a canyon can be mistaken as a deer. I didn't have any orange to put on the horns of my buck that I packed out last year during the muzzleloader hunt. And I was a little nervous the whole time hiking out. I will carry some orange in my pack from now on. Here is what it looked like...

packout.jpg

The year before that, I took a smaller buck on the rifle hunt quite a ways from the truck and we had to bone it out and split it up between about 4 us and put it in our day packs. My dad had the head, and we made sure that he would not be mistaken for a live buck....

IMGA0116.jpg

As you can see, it makes a huge difference, so better safe than sorry.

Thanks,
oakbrush

I wear orange in three occasions.
1. Alot of idoits around (opening day)
2. Either sex seasons (I think you are most likely to be shot at when it is possible to fill a tag without fully identifying an animal)
3. Required by law

I don't mind orange, but I'm not a huge fan either. I have a few spots that I would prefer people don't see me hunt, so I don't like to wear orange then for fear that it will give my spots away, but other than that it's not too bad.

And I don't think it has ever cost me a critter. When buddies complain about it, my usual response is that they aren't good enough hunters to wear it and take game. That usually shuts em up.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom