Off day practicing?

bigbull1

Very Active Member
Since I got my new bow, I've been shooting daily for about two months. Started with the new 08 Marin Bengal, put on the mini S-Coil, worked out the peep twist and switched to the G5 Meta Peep, changed sights to Spot Hogg SDP, switched arrows to Easton Axix Infused. Getting better every day with good groups. Feeling absolute on to 60 yards and hitting a small Block target 100% at 80 yards. Things are going perfect...till yesterday!

I was a little off at 20yds and so-so at 30yds. 40 yds, was decent with one flyer (I jerked). Then at 50yds I split between the block and hay bale and bust the arrow. At 60 yds, drop one barely on the target, and at 70 yards, disaster. Miss the target with three arrows, losing one, breaking one, and finding one in the sage brush.

The only thing I did a bit different yesterday, was trying to lock my off elbow before drawing. Same anchors, same release, same breathing. Could the locking my off arm make such a difference?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Ed

480d0bca7e99b1d5.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Apr-21-08 AT 07:25PM (MST)[p]I don't know what locking your off elbow before drawing means but I assume it means you are locking your elbow that holds your bow.

If this is what you are doing don't!

You never want to lock your elbow! You will be stronger with a slightly bent elbow. The only way I can explain what good form should look like is let your arm hang buy your side. Now just lift up your arm like you are holding your bow this is what you want your arm to look like.

You will shoot tighter groups with a relaxed shooting arm/elbow, relaxed bow grip and a relaxed shooting hand.

I am not sure if this makes any sense but I hope it does good luck!

Archery staff shooter for
Utah National Guard
GOLD TIP arrows
Sneaky

Archery is a year round commitment!!

I was trying to extend the bow to normal shooting position before drawing the string, as I had seen other archers do. My normal draw is kind of an extension of my left arm while I draw the string. By doing the new technique, I definately feel more rigid and not relaxed. I should probably get with someone and be critqued on form, draw, etc. Are their archery coaches or instructors around?

Yeah, someday I'll shoot a DXT, or X-Force, or Hoyt.

Ed

480df65c49a6a0fc.jpg

If you don't feel as relaxed by doing it that way, don't do it. Stick with what was working for you.

Lien2

Some say lock your elbow and some say bend your elbow... I would say to do what feels good... I have tried both ways and I shoot better with bent elbow.

I might check my strings/cables. The timing of your bow might have moved enough out of specs to start a downward trend. I had a similar thing happen to me with a Q2. It was shooting great one day and terrible the next. I readjusted my timing and everything went back to good.

Ok guys he said he changed his whole form from the day before. This is the sole reason he suffered poor shooting. You can't just change your form and expect to get better over night. There are several things that need to happen before your scores go up after changing form. The biggest being you need to develop new muscle memory. If he goes back to how he was shooting normally he should start shooting his average again. Which didn't sound like it was too bad especially for hunting.

I won't say it doesn't hurt to check his timing because I check mine every now and again but it would never account for the misses he was describing.

Edward: If you are from Utah and need someone to help you check your form. There are several people I can recommend including myself. Developing good form is the best way to increase accuracy. It should really be taught early in an archer?s career. I cant tell you how many times I see someone with a draw length to long, draw pounds to high, gripping their bow, of extending their fingers so far out I am surprised the don't shoot them off and so on.

Archery staff shooter for
Utah National Guard
GOLD TIP arrows
Sneaky

Archery is a year round commitment!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom