Off-Range Oryx Success

nmelkslayer

LAST EDITED ON Mar-27-13 AT 02:37PM (MST)[p]Here is the oryx my little brother Tyler shot yesterday morning. We hunted 10 days this month, and passed up several oryx in search of a trophy over 30". We saw a total of 16 oryx during those 10 days. With a missed opportunity at a nice bull opening weekend, Tyler was more determined to get another shot. We hunted through the horrible windy days and it paid off. On the tenth day I climbed up on the top of a windmill and not even thirty seconds into glassing, i saw an oryx about 1.25 miles away. We walked about a mile in and got within 420 yards. Tyler had shot opportunities at 420-290 yards, but he did not feel comfortable taking the shot at that distance off of the shooting sticks. The oryx eventually walked into 200 yards. Tyler got set-up on the sticks, and I told him to be ready. The oryx was moving towards a clearing but was not stopping. The oryx got into the clearing and i whistled twice. As soon as the oryx stopped, Tyler shot. The shot sounded liked a solid hit. We watched the oryx run about 200 yards, spin around a couple times, and saw a huge cloud of dust. We slowly walked up to the area we had last seen the oryx, and there it was?.laying on the ground. We were both so relieved, and overwhelmed with emotion. After ten long, windy days, we finally had an oryx on the ground. Tyler is now 2 for 2 on off-range oryx!!! He took his first off-range oryx in 2011, a small 24" bull (3rd pic). The one he got yesterday is a solid 35" cow...not bad for off-range.

5897img_1405.jpg

2569img_1415.jpg

5180img_0039.jpg

That is an awesome oryx. Like the way the horns kink up on top. Nice trophy.
Pretty good you guys can pass up on off range oryx to find a good one. You got it dialed in.

That is a awesome Oryx.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom