Old Racks

cheeseheadinOHIO

As I get older, I find that all the racks that meant so much to me when I was younger mean much less to me now. My hunting partner hasn't brought them home for over 10 years. I'm starting to feel the same way. My two "trophies" are mounted. One whitetail and one muley. But I have many racks around that I'm thinking about getting rid of but don't know what to do with them. Can they be sold on ebay? Last thing I want to do is throw them away. Tell me what you can do with them. Thanks.
Cheese

I have never done it , but you can buy or sale racks on ebay . Where I live we have a free classified deal on the internet , and there lots of racks sold on there .

Do you have kids or grandkids that may want the racks down the road . I know a guy that received a rack from his great grandfather and he had the pretty decent buck mounted . He said he just liked the thought of knowing that his great grandfather harvested the buck .

Glad I read before I started searching. When I saw the title I was gonna start looking for "Granny Hooters".

I have every deer rack I ever took. I also have one of my dads that I wouldn't part with. Plus I have the ones my kids shot when they still lived at home. Each one, big or small, hold a memory for me. Granted I don't move every few years like some people do but I personally can't imagine not keeping them. To sell them on ebay to be ground up into aphrodisiacs is an insult to the memory. But that's just me.

There is no bigger kick that looking in my grandsons room and see his hat on an old rack that that I shot 40 years ago.

>Glad I read before I started
>searching. When I saw the
>title I was gonna start
>looking for "Granny Hooters".
>
>
>I have every deer rack I
>ever took. I also have
>one of my dads that
>I wouldn't part with. Plus
>I have the ones my
>kids shot when they still
>lived at home. Each one,
>big or small, hold a
>memory for me. Granted I
>don't move every few years
>like some people do but
>I personally can't imagine not
>keeping them. To sell them
>on ebay to be ground
>up into aphrodisiacs is an
>insult to the memory. But
>that's just me.

+1

keep them a while longer. your mood might change...once they are gone . thier gone.....

Well i can see where the OP is coming from. I'm about half tired of looking at the dozen or so bucks hanging on my walls. A new addition helps but i ain't put no muleys up for a few years. Even worse is the pile of racks from bucks i took going back to the 60's. they sit all balled in a pile and take up space in a corner of my semi-precious junkroom.

I too thought that i'd never part with or get rid of and saved every rack i ever took but there has come a time where it's not as important as it used to be. Not that i'd want to but out here, you can't sell the things. Us guys out in Cali are forbidden by law to sell any part of a game animal so that is not a option.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Hang onto them, the may have more meaning to your kids than you. And when your gone, they can decide what to do with them.

I agree, consider their value to posterity. You also could learn to make lamps, chandeliers, knives (antler handles), buttons, jewelry, etc... with them and create items with a more personal attachment to them. You can attach a short narratives of some of the hunts or what was going on in your life or in the world the year you killed that buck... Possibilities are endless.

I would never part with any of mine. I have every one I have ever shot or found.

My Papaw passed away last January, I told my Mamaw when she started cleaning out his stuff in the basement DO NOT get rid of the antlers, if no other family member wants them I do! They meant a lot to him same as mine mean a lot to me. He has told me the story behind taking every set of antlers he has a couple times each.

I'm afraid of what FELENO is going to post after he see's this topic??? Old racks???

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

OK, all replies are the same. I have no family that hunts. No grand kids to want them. No one is going to want them. If I died today, the wife would just trash them. I've learned over the years it's the hunt that counts, not whether I get something. Once I realized that, the horns meant less. Now, suppose you all wanted to get rid of them, what would you do? I did tell my wife when I go, my mounts go to the local conservation club I belong to. They want hall decor. But all of these other racks are just taking up space. I do have memories with each one but I have more memories of the trips. Now, what can I do with them?
Thanks.
Cheese

Send them to me, I make knife handles, drawer pulls, buttons.....lots of stuff.

"If God did not intend for man to hunt animals, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot"

I'll take 'em from ya. I love to make things out of them (hat racks, picture frame decor, etc.)

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Cut them off the skull plate and sell them to an antler buyer.There are several that monitor this site.If they are still brown,you will get top dollar for them as sheds-I did just that last summer with all my smaller racks that were in a big pile in the corner of the garage.A sawzall works fine for this.Or,you could sell them as individual racks on Ebay.There is definitely a market for them somewhere.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-16-11 AT 08:49AM (MST)[p]Speaking of "Old Racks", this blacktail rack was brought in to a Sports Show in Medford last Season, apparently this guy's Father had hung up this rack in a sapling 40 years ago, and this was the end result.

It was scored at the Show, and was estimated that it would have made B&C minimum.
1087sany0003.jpg

Best of Luck,
Jeff
http://www.elkmtngear.com

>I have a buck rack taken
>by my great grandfather about
>1918/19 that I will never
>part with.

Was this B.C. or A.D.?

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

'I personally can't imagine not keeping them. To sell them on ebay to be ground up into aphrodisiacs'

You surprise me NVB. Think of the greater good here.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I have most all my racks except a few from when I was younger and those were stolen from me.The rest of them sit in my shed most of the time until I happen to be doing somthing out there and I always seem to pick through them, loosing track of time, and end up forgetting what I was doing in the first place.If you want to read a good short story I suggest getting Eastmans'Hunting Journal Issue, 122, pg.74.Its an article called, Antler Piles written by Ryan Hatfield,its a very good article written by a damn good author.It makes me glad I have a pile still.

Geez.........! Come on guys, man up! This thread is almost out of the box.

Some of you probably have a Teddy Bear collection!

"If God did not intend for man to hunt animals, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot"

>>I have a buck rack taken
>>by my great grandfather about
>>1918/19 that I will never
>>part with.
>
>
>Was this B.C. or A.D.?
>
>
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

A.D. u plick.

I have a really hard time getting rid of them too. I have given a few away but it's not easy. Last one I gave away was to a co-worker who wanted it for his garage (he's not a hunter). I found myself describing where the buck was from (lots of pink sand:) and he was looking at me like he didn't give crap lol. He's a good guy who has never shyed away from a favor so I didn't mind. Given a few away to relatives also. I could NEVER take a sawzall to them!

"The value of any trophy from the field depends not on its size but on the magnitude of the effort expended in its pursuit." ~ Aldo Leopold

I'll tell ya what to do with 'em... You need to find out about any "Anlter Fest" type events in your area. Or, find out about a youth rifle, or shotgun funshhot competition... Show up at the Anlter Fest or contact event managers of the youth event and let them know you have authentic deer racks that you wold like to donate as part of the prizes for the youth...

At the antler fest, you could just wait for some kids to come along who say, "wow! Those are great antlers mister! Where'd ya get 'em..?" You can tell them all about the hunt and then say "Hey kid, would you take care of these for me..?" The kid would flip...!!! You make a young frined for life...

I have a 10 year old cousin that found a set of muley antlers at a yard sale. When I asked the guy how much he said somethin like $50... A little steep I thought for a young 140" or so 4-point... We left. My cousin really wanted them, so we went back. I had him go ask how much. 15 minutes later, he came back with the rack, a story of where they came from, and it hadn't cost him a dime... He was the happiest kid I'd ever seen...!!!

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

The only thing I am short is a couple of pronghorns that the dogs snuck out and chewed up. I have racks guys gave me when I was a kid, a rack I bought on a great uncles auction who I never met, and a 191' whitetail an old man gave me just because I like to hunt. I have given away a ton of dead heads and sheds through the years though. The ones I shot I don't ever see leaving though.

"In the breast of every meat hunter there beats the heart of a secret, frustrated trophy hunter."

About every 10 years I get rid of most antlers I have lying around. I have my mounts and a few really nice quality sets but the rest get used for lamps, buttons, knife holders or what ever else the guys I give them to use them.

Hey David,

Ask your Taxidermist if he would like them I save all mine and use a lot of them in habitats. by the way my 49er's look decent but damn your packers wow!

My great grandfather passed away when I was about 10 years old. Sometime after the funeral I was talking with my great grandmother and she told me to help myself to a pile of old deer racks up in the attic of their garage. Most of these deer were harvested in the heyday of mule deer hunting and there were a lot of big bucks in that pile. I pulled the two biggest racks out of the bunch, the biggest was a 9X10 beast, 37" wide trashy non typical, the second was a 5x6 36" wide typical frame with in line points. Both bucks where huge and I was happy and proud as hell to have them. I took them home and stored them in my parents garage, till I could afford to have them mounted and had a place of my own to hang them. About the time I turned 20 I moved out and got a place of my own. One day I stopped by my parents home to collect the racks and take them to my new house. I looked all over that garage but they were gone! About that time my mom came out and asked what I was looking for. When I told her I was looking for the two big deer racks she got a worried, nervous look on her face and told me she had thrown them away about a year ago. Needless to say I was sick to my stomach. I just about came unglued, I couldn't believe she had thrown them in the trash! She never knew how much those old racks meant to me, to her they were just a pile of bones taking up space. If my mother wasn't such a wonderful woman who put up with a lot of grief from me through my teenage years, I would of had a hard time forgiving her. I got over it though, but I still wonder to this day who the lucky garbage man was! Save those old racks, or give them to someone (a kid, like stated above) who will appreciate them.

I had a rack for 18 years. Pretty soft but got tierd of it, kinda like the new toy that wears out!! It came with a-lot of problems. So I got rid of that rack, traded that one for a much younger rack.

Hang on? We talking "Racks" or antlers?? :):)

These are the replicas he had made after selling the originals. We stopped by on the way back from getting a Christmas tree off his old farm.

Those are really nice bucks! I've seen those in Sportsman?s Warehouse and always wondered if they were replicas.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom