Olympus lens suggestions

Cookie2

Very Active Member
It's been a long time since I was on this forum. I have been really trying to get some good wilflofe photos but that 70-300 Zuiko just doesn't have a whloe lot of reach! I am currently in the market for a better telephoto lens but it's looking like I'm VERY limited in my choices... I think I'm a lot like Tim the tool man Taylor when it comes to lenses and am afraid I could make ANOTHER bad desision when it comes to the next lens I buy!
I saw that Tamron makes a 200-500mm and got all worked up ready to get it until I discovered that they don't make it to fit the four thirds system... Guess that's out of the question!
Next I found that Sigma makes a 50-500 that does fit the olympus. But here's the problem... I don't know whether Sigma is a name I can trust to give me the quality of pictures I am beginning to demand.
Last, but certainly not least... Zuiko has the 50-200mm. My rational mind says this is the lens I should get but Tim is screaming "get the Sigma!"
I know I should probably sell the Olympus and get either Canon or Nikon but it takes very good shots. The only real problem is the lack of lens choices.....So which lens would all you experts out there get, Zuiko or Sigma? Still open to other options if there is one but I sure can't find one...Don't say the Zuiko 300! Momma would kill me for even suggesting we spend THAT much...lol

Go Canon or Nikon. You'll probably end up saving a few dollars in the long run. Most photographers I know (me included) end up regretting a 3rd party lens purchase. You say you are starting to demand high quality and that signals to me you'll outgrow a 3rd party lens in the near future, necessitating a bigger lens purchases yet again. A 50-200 isn't enough reach for most wildlife. Sigma is as good of a brand as Tamron, however. If you thought you would be happy with the Tamron I think you would be just as pleased with a Sigma. That being said, I wouldn't be happy with either. Find the right lens and then match your body to it.

www.shawnmccully.com

I figured I was gonna get a response or two along those lines. Lol... I just don't think I'm gonna be able to swing a major purchase like that in quite some time....

I was wondering the same thing cookie. Which lens is best for my Canon 50D? Zoom is very important for taking wildlife pictures but i still want it to fit in my backpack. I am leaning towards a canon "L" series but i'm not sure which one. any suggestions??

First you said the 70-300 (140-600 in 35 mm terms)does not get the reach you want. That is one powerful lens. Then you said maybe you should get the 50-200, which equates to a 100-400 in 35mm terms. Not as close but more light getting in.
First you need to decide what result you need. The main advantage of the 50-200 is the faster F stop and the SWD motor for super quick focusing.
While Nikon and Canon will allow you to go with the Tamron 200-500, only the Nikon D90 or above will focus with it.
To change systems is costly. If you shoot at the highest JPEG resolution or RAW you can always crop a little tighter to achieve a closer look.

Comparing Zuiko lenses and Sigma is like comparing the Mets and the Yankees and I am a Met fan, why I don't know, but I am. The Zuiko is so far superior they should not be mentioned in the same sentence.
If you have any questions I would be happy to help out.

Joel Paymer
Camera Land
575 Lexington Ave
New York, NY 10022
212-753-5128
www.cameralandny.com

I THINK the problem I'm having is directly related to the f-sstop on the 70-300. I am not able to get the focus right EVER! It always has a blur to it and that's whats ticking me off... I can get some great shots with a relatives canon and 100-400 lens and am looking to get something remotely similar to it WITHOUT having to spend $7000! LOL
And Joel... I know why.... It's the Yankees! How can anyone in their right mind be a Yankees fan? My favorite team is WHOEVER is playing the Yankees!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom