Omega and Bullets

jd332001

Anyone have any bullet recommendations for TC Omega (50 cal) using Blackhorn 209. I understand each barrel is different and that makes a difference but just looking for some starting points. I drew a SW Desert Elk Muzzle Tag but currently have my Muzzle set up for Colorado (was not expecting to draw). In Colorado I use the Thor bullets at their .501 size and like them but think I can get more accuracy with a sabot? Being able to use a magnified scope versus open sights, I hope to be able to make further shots on out to 200-250. Open to any combos you guys have had luck with?

Thanks in advance,

Josh

You probably can get better accuracy with a sabot. TC's are known for not liking full bore conicals.

Why not try the Barnes version of the Thor? A Barnes 290gr T-EZ should work well for elk. About 110gr of BH 209.

My Omega likes Harvester Sabot with a 300 gr SST pushed by 85.0 gr by weight or 120 gr by volume of BH209. I am getting 1.5 MOA at 300 yards but that is a bit far for elk with that gun. You are ok at 250 yards though.

290gr Barnes TMZ and BH209 is what every TC I've loaded for has shot extremely well.
Test your powder charges and see what groups the best but most likely 110-120gr.

Barnes 250 gr TMZ with the blue sabots are what I shoot in my Omega with Blackhorn 209. I mainly use it for deer. If I were going after elk I would also give the 290's a try and then shoot whichever bullet shot the best.

I have an Omega and shoot a Hornady .452 - 300 grain - xtp mag pistol bullet with a black ribbed harvester sabot. Loads fairly easy, Shoots very accurate, and takes down the animal. All for 1/2 the cost.

Another fan of Barnes tmz.I use the triple 7, 3 50 gr.pellets or 150gr. This combination works well in my tc triumph. This is a flat shooting combo.

Omega 50 using 100 Gr of BH 209 295 Sabot,ML scope a 3x9 with yardage lines already built in.
I sight in the 1st line @ 200yds 2nd line @300yds 3rd line @ 400yds. You will have to fine tune it to make the lines work,
Crosshairs a tad low at 300 and a tad high for a 400 shot.
But you will get if you put in the time at the range.
This comb is deadly in the right hands,I shoot my Omega both up hill and downhill because I'm sure I wouldn't get a shot at one standing on level ground LOL

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

The 250 grain Barnes TMZ shoots well in my Omega. With 2 of the magnum T7 pellets (roughly 120-130 grain equivalent) it shoots sub-moa at 2025 FPS. I use the yellow sabots that are included and I swab the bore between shots with T-17. I've briefly tried BH 209 but didn't find accuracy. Might have to try again one of these days.

Ok went and bought the Barnes bullets and used some harvester sabots. After one shot it was almost impossible to get a second one down the barrel without cleaning. I shot 6 times and don't think the round circle on my hand is gonna ever go away haha.

Anyone have any luck with the Hornady bullets in the omegas? Or I might just stick with the Thor Bullets?

Thanks,

Josh

If you got a Barnes boat tail bullet such as the TMZ you will need the yellow harvester crush rib Sabots for that bullet. If you're still having trouble pushing it down go with the Barnes TEZ and use the blue Sabots they come with.

Thanks Buckhorn,
I was using the boat tail with the yellow crush rib sabot as you mentioned. Are the blue "tight bore" barnes really easier to get down the barrel? I guess I don't wanna go throw another 30 down the drain if they are gonna be too tight as well? If they are easier, I would gladly go pick some up.

Thanks to everyone that has replied.

Josh

Yes they are easier to push down. My hunting partner shoots them in his TC with good success. He killed a buck last year with the 250 grain TEZ. We recovered the bullet and it mushroomed perfectly. I also killed a buck last year shooting a 290 grain TMZ with harvester sabot out of my Remington. Didn?t recover that bullet. I really dont have any trouble loading the TMZ in my gun Even after multiple shots. My partner and I both use blackhorn powder.

>Thanks Buckhorn,
>I was using the boat tail
> with the yellow crush
>rib sabot as you mentioned.
> Are the blue "tight
>bore" barnes really easier to
>get down the barrel?
>I guess I don't wanna
>go throw another 30 down
>the drain if they are
>gonna be too tight as
>well? If they are
>easier, I would gladly go
>pick some up.
>
>Thanks to everyone that has replied.
>
>
>Josh

Been there, done that. Read reply number 6.

I hated it when it takes all of your effort to get the bullet down the barrel.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom