Omega Elk load

milkie62

I am new to muzzleloading.Does anyone have a good elk load for the Omega with a non-sabot bullet for colorado ? Thanks

I use 348 grain aero tip powerbelts in front of 90 grains of loose 777. Just took it out yesterday and chronographed it. Averaged 1560 fps with 90 grains. Powerbelt reports 1515 fps in front of 100 grains of pyrodex, so 90 grains of 777 indeed beats 100 grains of pyrodex. Also tried 100 grains and 110 grains and didn't increase velocity by that much. About 1600 fps for 100 grains and 1650 for 110 gr. The recoil is much more noticable at the higher grains and the bullets are more accurate at 90 grains, so I am sticking with the 90. That is plenty of power to kill an elk out to 150 yards. My max range with this set up (open sights) is 100 yards

I would probably start with about 85 grains and move up by 5 gr increments until you find the most accurate load. You gun may shoot differently than mine.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

go with a 348 powerbelt and 110gr of 777 You want to use the heaviest bullet you can shoot, that groups the best for your gun.

Would that be a good accurate load for the "Encore" 209X50 also?

Thanks
ELKCHSR

What all the experts tell me and what I have found out to be true myself is there is no way for anyone to tell you an accurate load for YOUR gun. Each gun is different. Even if I have the exact gun you do, yours might shoot 95 grains of 777 accruately and mine might shoot 105 grains most accrurately. There are no shortcuts. Just start out at 80-85 grains of 777, shoot 3 times, go up 5 grains, shoot three times, ........ When you find the right load for your gun, you will know it. Any load above 85 grains is enough firepower for an elk (with 777) and is flat shooting too. At 90 grains, I am 2 inches high at 50 yards and dead on at 100.

If you are shooting pyrodex, start out at 95 grains volume equilalent.

I started out shooting 110 grains with 348 aerotips in my new Omega and was hitting all over the paper, so the above post that lists that as a good load only applies to his gun. Once I dropped down to 90 grains I started getting 3 inch groups at 100 yards with open sights. Plenty of accuracy for my max of 100 yards for elk.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

tehunter58,
your so true about the loads and the dif. between one gun an another.
I have been shooting muzzys sence 1973 and never had one use the same load and preform the same,
it takes practice,
a good bench rest.
a good scale (power scale)
and a number of diff. bullets
then the work begins.
even with the new tecknollagy i still beleive in seasoning the barrel.
true it may not need it but i think it gives me a chance also to get comfortable with the gun.
the recippy i gave was one that i proved worked best in my gun.
and then again i was trying to hold 2" high at 100 ysd and hit about 1" low at 200
and keep consistant groups inside an orange.
there is a differance in hitting the mark and hiting the mark with enough energy.

One of the best grouping load for my Omega is 100 gr of 777 and a 180gr sabot shoots really great at the range but it NOT A HUNTING BULLET, the 240 xtp groups pretty good too so that is my main bullet for hunting deer. Bigger the game bigger the bullet is a good rule of thumb

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom