Omega Load Question

W

Wildman

I am looking for suggestions on a load for a TC Omega .50 caliber muzzleloader to hunt deer in Utah. I have read that conicals do not shoot well out of Omegas, so I am looking at sabots. I guess as much as anything, is there anything I should avoid, so I don't waste my time on something that has been proven not to work.

I am looking for something that balances economy with performance to achieve that basic reasonable degree of accuracy at 100 yards. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-23-12 AT 07:45AM (MST)[p]110 gr of BH 209 with 290 gr TEZ Barnes. Remingtion STS primers

My Omega seems to have a very tight bore hense the EZ'r loading sabot.

bill

Same setup for my Tradition Pursuit, except I use the 250 gr.Tight groups out at 100 yards. The B209 powder is pricey, but your barrel is much cleaner between shots. I fired mine 9 to 10 times before swabbing.

90 grains triple 7 loose powder, 250 grain shockwave in the black sabot, not the yellow 'easy glide' sabots. CCI 209M primer. swab with one wet patch, then follow with one dry patch between shots. This combo is very accurate in my .50 omega.

oakbrush

LAST EDITED ON Aug-23-12 AT 11:09PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-23-12 AT 11:08?PM (MST)

2 Pyrodex 50 gr pellets and a 250gr Hornady SST.

I am getting just about touching at 100 and about six inch groups at 200.

Swab every two shots....fresh clean barrel and once fired are almost identical. If I go past that without cleaning, I lose the consistency but am still lethal. Most hunts are one shot kills on a clean barrel, so I see no reason to have to buy cleaner powder.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom