One more time,,, what unit for elk with 14 points

ToddT

Okay, I have asked this in past years, so sorry for the repeat question, BUT, here is the situation. My wife is 51, still in good shape, but not getting any younger, or in better physical condition if you know what I mean. Plus at that age, which I know isn't OLD, but anything can happen, plus I feel that with each additional year, EVERYONE runs the risk of most any ailment, accident or whatever, reducing their ability to hunt the more physically demanding hunts. So, I would greatly appreciate any good advice. Personally I have been blessed with about a half dozen really good elk hunts, along with some ho-hum, averagish, elk hunts, so though at 42 I still hope I have about 10 or more good elk hunts, BUT, again you never know. But if I never get to hunt elk again, I have had some great experiences, on the other hand, my wife hasn't had that opportunity, and her wish is one GOOD elk hunt. She is easier to please than I am, and if she only gets to go on one, she will be fine with it.

Anyway, the deal is, we both have 14 Colorado elk points as a nonresident, and I can wait as I have a good chance to draw Utah this year, as well as max points in Wyoming, and though I may never draw again, New Mexico has provided me with two amazing elk hunts, and I have been lucky in that state, even when my luck has been on a dry streak in other states, so again, I can wait, and am thinking of waiting for a unit 61 rifle hunt, but I am most likely about 4 to 10 years out - unless they change the system.

Enough about me, as far as my wife goes though, we want what everyone else wants, the typical, fewer hunters, a good opportunity at a 300 inch bull, blah, blah, blah, but in the situation we are in, I realize that it would be a tough call to do this. So, what we would really like would be the fewer hunters, a good population of elk, some good rut activity and the size really doesn't matter. Just a fun hunt is what I would like for her to be able to experience. I know this type of hunt is available in OTC units,,,, with the caveat being, if you know it well, but I only know of a couple OTC units and they can be very poor to average at best, just depending on the year and the particular hunting situation at that time. So, I am hoping that someone can recommend an area that we are hoping for. I have considered, unit 76 but after speaking with numerous other hunters, it seems that first regular rifle for 76 can be boom or bust, just depending on the weather. I have also considered 61, but again, we are still a ways out before we can realistically expect to draw that unit. I have also looked at 49, but I believe that she isn't in good enough condition to hunt that unit. I have even considered unit 67, but have had differing reports as far as the quality of the hunting there and even the flattops. I have also recently considered unit 851, but am uncertain of the public access situation. So, I am still basically as confused and as uncertain as when we started building points, maybe more, considering when we started we were only about 6 - 8 years out. So again, I would appreciate any advice, whatever it may be, OTC, or draw, and I believe I would actually like to get her into a decent unit in the blackpowder season, but with the limit to open sites only, she may struggle, so either that or a first rifle. We also don't have the money for a high end guided hunt, but I would definitely consider a quality drop camp, or a trespass fee hunt. Honestly I am most likely open to most any area, any season and public or private - obviously depending on the circumstances.

Also, I know guys are always on here asking, "what area should I hunt" and they get bashed, but please, and forgive me, but I have researched, I have looked over the harvest stats, and I constantly am talking hunting and researching, but it seems that I can't seem to find what we are looking for. In addition, though I would hate to spend 14 points on a 3 or 4 point unit - I kind of look at it like spending $10,000 on a $3,000 car, I am certain you guys understand - but given the appropriate information and the opportunity for an all round GOOD hunt, I am certain we would be satisfied. I know I have said it before, but even if she only got a four or five point bull, but was able to see and hear elk, with little to no interruption, I believe it would be a great time for both of us.

Sorry for being so long, I just wanted to thoroughly explain our situation, in hopes that someone would be interested in helping. One more thing, we most likely wouldn't be back, as I have already mentioned, with ONE good elk hunt, my wife would be satisfied, and I would keep any information confidential, so if you can help, please send me a PM, or you can call me at 828-221-4006. Thanks for any help, and good luck to everyone in the draws and,,, the SWIFTLY approaching hunting season. It WILL be here before you can sweat a few summer days and get your gear together.

Guided or drop camp in 76. If you research the outfitter well, he should be able to put you in an area where she would see a lot of elk and have a chance at at decent one. That said, a drop camp anywhere limits your options to move around. After 14 years, borrow the money for a guided hunt

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I'd go 76 1st rifle as well. Maybe a drop camp, but bring gear to spike out if needed? or just go yourself with a pack service ready to help you get your bull out so you can remain flexible.

Colorado doesn't have as many draw units for elk, so points get more inflated than they do for deer, especially when you are looking at quality.

76 is my thought as well. I am saving up for the exact same hunt for my wife... Although we may go muzzy instead. If your wife can hunt with open sights then go muzzy for sure, nothing like being at treeline during the rut!!!

Research outfitters... There are 2 that regularly come up as the best!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom