Only in the movies...

OutdoorWriter

Long Time Member
So last night for the 2nd time, I watched "The Perfect Storm," a supposedly true story. Then I got to thinking...if the Andrea Gail's radio went kaput fairly early on, how did anyone know what transpired from that point on since the entire crew -- the only witnesses -- disappeared and presumably died?? Seems this was a highly fictionalized Hollywood account of that "true" story. In comparison the "Titanic" flick could at least rely on the accounts of the many survivors.

So last night for the 2nd time, I watched "The Perfect Storm," a supposedly true story. Then I got to thinking...if the Andrea Gail's radio went kaput fairly early on, how did anyone know what transpired from that point on since the entire crew -- the only witnesses -- disappeared and presumably died?? Seems this was a highly fictionalized Hollywood account of that "true" story. In comparison the "Titanic" flick could at least rely on the accounts of the many survivors.
Sometimes Writers think too much and are way to literal to enjoy a movie. Same with my wife very literal and way over thinks the issue.
It's called writing a script and keeping the audience enthralled LOL no disrespect meant here just someone on the outside looking in.
Most writers embellish to a point to make the story sound better.
I'll bet your a hoot to go to a movie with. LOL

I thought the very same thing when I saw that movie long ago. Makes the whole thing seem entirely fake.

Sometimes Writers think too much and are way to literal to enjoy a movie. Same with my wife very literal and way over thinks the issue.
It's called writing a script and keeping the audience enthralled LOL no disrespect meant here just someone on the outside looking in.
Most writers embellish to a point to make the story sound better.
I'll bet your a hoot to go to a movie with. LOL
I have no problem with "embellishing" a script to make it sound better. That's not the same as creating fiction and pawning it off as reality. The only truth in the movie was the boat went out fishing, a huge storm ensued and the boat disappeared. How the latter happened in the movie was nothing more than speculation and assumptions.

Entertaining?? Indeed, and great special effects that were mostly CGI created and by using a boat in a huge tank of water on a studio set.

I wish I was better at writing. I could have made that script cater to more people. Since all of the witnesses are gone, you could tell any story you want. The crew could be the type that engages in homosexual behavior when at sea. Or they could binge watch musicals when the fishing is done for the day.

The one part that was no doubt mostly true was the segment with the sailboat rescue. All but one person involved in that lived to tell about it.

In the "Titanic" flick, it was obviously embellished with the romantic interaction betweem DeCaprio & Winslet, but the main aspects of the ship's demise was pretty accurately done. The court enquiry records likely provided lots of the factual info.

Last edited:
I have no problem with "embellishing" a script to make it sound better. That's not the same as creating fiction and pawning it off as reality. The only truth in the movie was the boat went out fishing, a huge storm ensued and the boat disappeared. How the latter happened in the movie was nothing more than speculation and assumptions.

Entertaining?? Indeed, and great special effects that were mostly CGI created and by using a boat in a huge tank of water on a studio set.
I thought it was a sailing boat? or are you embellishing? LOL

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom