opening day was a good one!

justr_86

Long Time Member
opening day started at 4 AM. I had everything loaded up so all I had to do was jump in the truck and head up the mtn. parked my truck, went to unload my wheeler out of the back of the truck and a ramp slipped off the tailgate and almost put the wheeler on top of me. Really dont know why it didnt... So feeling lucky I headed to the end of a very rough road. Got my gps out to take me to my treestand and I guess it doesnt know where its going in the dark either. I had to sit down and wait for the sun to start coming up. While I was waiting with actual shooting hours being questionable. I let 5 bucks that walked by all go for lack of antlers/age. They moved off unaware I was even there and it was light enough I could find my treestand. Got into my stand and all setup ready for a buck or bull to come walking by. I hear some crashing and 2 cows and 2 calves go running under my stand. I sit there for about another 5 minutes and here comes a cow and a calf, hear some more twigs break and 2 more cows and calves, they are all standing around the water. I am standing there shaking from all the excitement even though they are cows, They are talking and playing and splashing in the water, out of the corner of my eye I see another elk coming in, Its a bull!! a spike but still a bull!! comes in and runs the cows off. I have to wait for him to turn for a shot, He finally turns and I try to draw my bow but I have too much adrenaline going and cant. I try again and get a little farther but not to full draw, one more time and finally get it.. Trying to settle my pin and tell myself to calm down and make the shot, "calm down... concen WHACK trate. he jumps and kicks and takes off, jumps over/into a big piece of deadfall about 3 foot off the ground and makes it into a small spot of jack pines that I cannot see into. I can hear him snorting. then quiet. I call my wife, still sitting in the stand and tell her I got one. while on the phone 3 small spikes, a 4x5 raghorn, and another cow come in, while I'm on the phone, I hung up and took a couple pictures. the 4x5 actually licked the arrow sticking in the dirt with the blood from the spike I just shot all over it. My bull only went about 60 yards and expired. I was shooting almost straight down on him so I only caught one lung but the muzzy went right down through the heart. great hunt and my first bull with a bow!
4a8775ad03f65655.jpg

My bull
4a87763908b1d093.jpg

The 4x5 if only I was more patient!
4a877667098cc48e.jpg

couple more elk, sorry the picture is blurry.

Geez, that sounds like the perfect hunt! Who cares if it is a spike, that is tough in a general area. Congrats!

Scared GPS, ALMOST GOT TUNED BY HIS OWN QUAD!
funny stuff!
who's your daddy? (bessy?)
way to go?
4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

Kenny,
Great story and ending, thinking back I got more excited shooting my first spike with a bow than the 6 point I harvested 25 years later on a LE unit. Thanks for sharing.

OMB

There's room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed taters and gravy.

I would say your opening morning was better than good.. Sounds like a GREAT opening morning. Congrats on the elk for a job well done and a good story.

Jim

Great story, enjoyed reading that one! Congrats on your first bull and no worries on not being patient waiting for the raghorn....you got your bull and there will be bigger ones in your future

Way to go,

I remember my first archery elk like it was yesterday. No one elses trophy will ever compare to your own critters.

bean

today was eventfull but not as much. I dont want any of the bucks I let go opening morning.. Yet let them grow a bit..... I have until nov 31 to hunt with the extended season but I went to a different area today to see what my wife and I could turn up. We tried a few small walks with more little bucks. I have always wanted to do a short walk in an area I always see bucks heading into to bed in the morning that I have never seen anyone in. I walked it and seen a few little better bucks but not what I am looking for. I did however confuse the krap out of a herd of elk with 3 excellent shot opportunities to shoot the raghorn 6x6 that was with them. The wind was swirling so they didnt know what way to run, they knew I was there but didnt know where. they would take off and the wind would blow my scent in their faces so they ran circles around me for about 20 minutes before the lead cow just ducked her head and took off towards me at a dead run and ran past at about 10 feet with the herd following her over the hill and out of the canyon. I am having luck with elk this year like no other. Its a blast. I just need to find my buck!!

I think bessy would've been proud to watch me load an elk by myself onto the wheeler. I used the winch and a big piece of deadfall wedged between 2 other big trees. Lifted him up spun him around the cable and layed him on the racks!! that makes it sound alot easier than it was.

well browning you obviously dont shoot them for the antlers but he sure does taste really really really good!!!

Nice comment Browning. Whatever.

Great job Justr. Spikes are the best eating of all the elk! Keep at it and you will get your buck too! Thanks for sharing.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom