Oregon Elk-Keating & Snake River

S

Slide

My Ol Man and I have 9 points for Oregon Elk, we are trying to find a good unit to spend our points on and we were looking at these two units (Keating & Snake River). I'm not asking anything other then are there good Bulls in either of these units or should we look elsewhere? I know Oregon is not a trophy state for Elk, but my Dad is getting up there and has never killed an Elk. So he told me this year when we got back from our muley hunts, he said "Boy, I think we better try and draw Oregon next year I'm not sure how much longer I will be able to do this". So I'm starting my research now and was just wondering if these units wre worth a closer look? Also I need to find a unit that two non residents can both draw because we want to go together or not at all.

Thank you and Merry Christmas

Slide

There are good bulls in the snake. I'm unsure about keating. The snake river country is very ruff with a lot of wilderness/road closure. I think the best thing if you didn't have horses is to get dropped. I have friends that did that this season and they saw bulls everyday of the season. Good luck - Brian

9 points is tooooooo many points to waste on those two units.

Unless you have horses and are a billy goat the Snake would be out for me. Snake takes 4 points for a NR and Keating takes 3 points as a NR. Brian is right the Snake is great elk habitat but it is straight up and down.

You need to look at Mt. Emily #2, just about enough points and a better option IMHO.

Rich

Snake River units holds LOTS of nice bulls. And yes the problem is the terrian. Hire an outfitter and do a drop camp. The Steins outfitters do it for about $1200. They take you in, drop you off at a camp where eveythings there, and you just hunt! I guess your talking about rifle season?

muleyman

Thank you fellows for your help I appreciate it. Mt. Emily was mentioned is there any other units I should look at? I'm not asking anybody to give out their secrets or draw me a map, just help point me in the right direction that's all. Dad and I are looking for a good hunt that we have the oppertunity to take a good bull. We are going to attend the Sporting show in Redmond Or. in March trying to gather more info. but we want to gather all the info we can and spend our 9 points the best way we can. Like I said earlier neither of us have ever taken an Elk and more then likely this is ny ol man's best and probably last chance so I want to research and find the best unit for us. Any and all help is very much appreciated. We don't have alot of money and honestly we enjoy doing it ourselves we find more pleaseure in DIY hunting well we always have and always will. My Pop's is 65 and still falling timber so we can't afford to many extras on our hunts and we don't have horses but if we could find someone who is resonble to haul our gear in and drop us off that would be great. But if there is a better unit then the Snake then I need to find it.

Thank you

LAST EDITED ON Dec-26-06 AT 06:06PM (MST)[p]Take a look at the Murderers Creek unit - 2nd season is any elk it can be a good area, or even just the 1st season bull. It takes I think 4-5 points so you already have too many but its a great unit for a chance at a good bull for Oregon. Mt Emily also is good but the better area to hunt is all up/down so be prepared. PM me and I will give some more specific info.
Frank

I would say Mt Emily as well. Shoot, I have buddies that are up there a lot and have seen some MONSTERS!! If you do go, LMK, I live in Pendleton. just at the bottom of the hill!!

With nine points I'd be putting in for wenaha unit, not the spike hunt but the other one is for either one bull or hare tag, there only 8 tags issued, we've spiked hunted that unit a few time and I have never seen so many elk and huge bulls anywhere else in oregon than there. There's a thread somewhere on hear of a guy that drew that tag and got a huge bull this year. If you can shoot a gun, its pretty much a garentee you get a bull.

You are all in the right direction with the Mt. Emily and Wenaha hunts for big bulls and good success, but the problem is drawing 2 tags as a NR hunter. If you look at the stats from last year, only 2 NR tags were given for the Mt. emily hunt, and both were drawn with 9 pts.,in 2007 if all things stay the same and my wife puts in for this hunt with her 9 pts. and Slide you putin with you Pa, then there will be 7 NR hunters putting in for those 2 tags. The odds are not good for 2007, but will be better soon as hunters draw out. My option would be to try either the Murderers crk. unit or the East northside unit, I have hunted the Nothside unit with my brother and had a great hunt, tagging out by 7:30am opening morning on small bulls, In 2 days of scouting and 1 morning of hunting we counted +-140 elk, 18 were bulls. Both of these units look like they will take 7 pts. to draw 100%. If you want more info send me a PM. I live in warshington state and love to hunt in Oregon but it takes several years between good elk hunts and it will be a couple more before I get to go again, In the mean time If I can help a fellow hunter out I'm happy to do so. Finnman

Slide,
I also tried to send you a PM regarding Murderers Creek but I'm not sure it made it - computer issues, I hate computers, anyway let me know if you didn't get anything.
Frank

With 9 points I would not waste them on keating or snake river. If I was you I would look on the odfw web site and see what tags 2 non res guys can draw with 9 points and go with a unit that it takes 7-9 points to draw. If you are wanting a eastern oregon tag I would maybe look at sled springs or starkey. The nice thing about sled springs is that it is a draw for bow and rifle so there is less presure and also it borders the wenaha unit, one of the better units in the state. I personally like the mt emily unit but the chances of you both drawing the same year are pretty slim.

Finnman, Now that is some funny arsed reply. Please don't get upset but it made me chuckle for you to send the guy a different place because you had the same interest. Just chuckling and not upset at all.

Canhunter, yeah your right, now that I read my post it does sound a wee bit self induldged, but the point I'm trying to get across to Slider is that his odds of drawing 2 Mt. Emily tags as as a NR hunter on a party hunt are next to nothing! There are just to many other NR hunters with the same no. of points, including my wife, for him to expect to have a chance in the next few years of drawing that tag. I'm just trying to give the guy some insite so he can plan a good hunt, most people on this site won't go that far, some just like to create controversy, I on the other hand like to believe in people, life is to short to be a pessimist.

Hell's Canyon is aptly named and as others have pointed out is rough and rugged country. Not knowing you or your father's health and physical abilities, I would hesitate to push you in that direction. However, my family has hunted Hell's Canyon for thrity years and I just got to see it for the first time in the 2004 archery season. Yes, there are lots of elk, but for me, the country is beyond belief in terms of beauty. I know you mention that your father may not have many more years of chasing elk, but I tell you, this place is more than a place to hunt elk. You will love it and you'll be amazed by it, you'll be humbled by it and you'll never want to leave it. If you think you can stand the wear and tear, I garauntee you will have the hunt of a lifetime here. Do it any way that you can, but you absolutely have to see this country and work these bulls. There's no place like it in all the world - deepest canyon in North America - and I suggest you go there and see it for yourself. If I ever got smart enough to upload photos to this post I'd attatch them, but sadly, I'm just not that smart with these computers.

>LAST EDITED ON Dec-26-06
>AT 06:06?PM (MST)

>
>Take a look at the Murderers
>Creek unit - 2nd season
>is any elk it can
>be a good area, or
>even just the 1st season
>bull. It takes I
>think 4-5 points so you
>already have too many but
>its a great unit for
>a chance at a good
>bull for Oregon. Mt Emily
>also is good but the
>better area to hunt is
>all up/down so be prepared.
>PM me and I will
>give some more specific info.
>
>Frank

R U crazy man, I drew Murderer's the first time applying, and there was not many elk.....

WENAHA, SLED SPRINGS, CHSNIMNUS, IMNAHA, MINAM, AND SNAKE RIVER UNITS: Elk populations are below management objectives in all units except Imnaha and Minam. Poor calf recruitment continues to be a problem. Hunter success for spikes is expected to be low in the Wenaha and Snake River units, with few yearling bulls available to harvest. Bull numbers continue to improve in the Sled Springs unit. Success should be fair to good in the rest of the units. Snake River hunters are reminded that the Lord Flat Road north of Warnock Corral is now closed to motor vehicles. Pack stock is recommended for the Snake River, Minam Units and for roadless areas in other units.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-06 AT 05:06PM (MST)[p]The Snake River/Hells Canyon area is some extremely rugged and tough terrain. There's only one direction, and that's straight down!!......if you do decide to head there, Milar Pack Station did a great job of getting me and some guys in there for an August bear hunt. Barry Cox & Jordon will take care of ya.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom