oryx meat

I'd say you have to be trying really hard to mess up oryx. I butcher all my game animals myself by trimming off all the fat, tendons, and sinew. Otherwise, I just throw one of my favorite spices on it and brown it in melted butter on both sides at 350 degrees, keeping the middle nice and rare. Unbelievable how consistently good it always is--I never get tired of eating it.

That's the worst meat on the planet, call me up and I'll dispose of it. Lol. Your lucky to get a tag to hunt. Enjoy it and enjoy the meat cause it won't come along every year. Iv been waiting 10 years. Good luck.

+1 I live close by the range so call me and I will help you get rid of it and not haul it all the way back home. LOL It is excellent and I cook it just like my deer or elk, seasoned and on the grill. My OIL was about 15 years ago and have not been able to get a depredation, broken horn or off-range oryx tag since. Good luck and make sure you post some pictures.
Mike

I have an on-range hunt for the 4 weekends in February, so this is a timely post.

Would it be sacrilegious to grind a bunch up? I find myself doing a lot of my cow, elk, and deer that way since the fam likes their tacos or burgers. It sounds like I should keep as much as roasts or steaks as possible. (I've had oryx before and love it, by the way).

There is no wrong way to cook Oryx. Best game meat there is in my opinion. Take your favorite elk or deer recipe, do the same and see how great it is. One of my favs is to slowly bbq the loins on the grill the night of harvest...amazing.

Like others have said...can't hardly go wrong! Congrats on the tag. Jan is a great month to hunt them.

Oryx is great any way you make it. I wouldn't find it sacrilegious to grind it up. We do that with a lot of ours, tacos, burgers, add spices for sausage is all great ways. Oryx burgers are better than any burger in my opinion. Steaks are easy, prepare as mentioned above, butter, garlic, salt and pepper is all it takes! Now to jerky any of that meat would be heartbreaking! We just finished up the meat we had from our Oryx this last January so hopefully I'm lucky again and put another one on the ground in a few weeks! Good luck!

Ryan

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom