OTC Bear INFO

southslope82

I am a resident of Utah and am just trying to get the wheels turning on a Bear hunt in Idaho, I have been applying for the draw areas but have not had such luck yet. I am looking for some info on some possible areas to try an OTC tag for bear. This would preferrably a spot and stalk hunt I would try a bait if it could be arranged. This would be a spring tag if all possible but I would do a fall permit. My Questions are

1. What area would you suggest?
2. What are my chances of actually seeing a Bear Spot and stalk?
3. Best chance either Spring or Fall?
4. How do you hunt them with OTC tags?

Like I said I live in Utah and seeing bears is just a very rare occasion. I have a hard time picturing that you can hunt bears spot and stalk like you would deer or elk. Totally new to me

I would be willing to trade/help someone for any Utah info on Open Bull Elk permit. I Live right in the middle of it all and participate in it every year. Would love to do a little trading possibly a bear hunt for a elk hunt with horses or a high country trip. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

i used to guide quite a few bear hunts spot and stalk and bait. i would recommend checking into riggins area, they are very plentiful and on the wilderness side you have a 2 bear bag limit. units 23, 19 etc, where ever you can access the salmon river and mainly the many creeks that flow into it. all the berries grow up these creek drainages. chances of success on spot and stalk are pretty good for archery and rifle if you hunt the weather. if its hot then forget it. spring and fall are both good the only differences are fat vs. no fat, and that in the spring you find them close to the river where the green grass is. i prefer fall late september and october archery spot and stalk and every year i hunt them i tag. quality is good but size is not great count on alot of 5-5.5' with maby one or two 6'. mostly kicker cubs but they make great rugs to if thats what your after. as far as the weapon its up to you, bear is general any weapon but if you use a muzzleloader or archery you will need a permit for those. feel free to pm me for more in depth details or to get a hunt trip together.

Afternoon Southslope,
Up around Elk River in area 10A, lot of the Clearwater National forest and a lot of potlach ground to hunt, Im up there in the fall archery hunting for elk and you see them running around. Most hunters get a bear tag just might see one.
Gary Wright
Moscow, Idaho

We hunt the panhandle every year and have a blast. Anywhere in the northern part of Idaho has great numbers of bears. The first time you walk up on to a bear will make you a believer. I know here in Utah it is rare to see many bears, but in Idaho seeing a dozen in a week is normal.

Buy tag over the counter at Cabela's here in Utah before leaving. Hunt the clear cuts and old logging roads.

Sent you a PM.

Thanks for the response guys I really appreciate it.
I do have another question though. Would you compare it to hunting deer? If you were to spot and stalk hunt. Its still just not clicking yet and probably won't til I actually get up there and do it myself. How do you guys hunt them just casual walking through timber, Glassing - I guess its fairly open- o sit and wait? Yeah beleiving you can just see them out and about is awesome I can't wait to give it hell.

A nonresident deer or elk tag may be used on a black bear or mountain lion or gray wolf during the deer or elk season when the black bear, mountain lion or gray wolf season is open.

Something to think about if you decide on the fall hunt..

yes very much like deer hunting but more of an adreneline rush when your closing the last couple critical yards. it really all depends on what your weapon of chioce is. i recomend for first time bear hunters is a rifle then archery after that for adreneline reasons. find a creek with berry bushes and start hiking keeping a sharp eye. listen for scratching and scurrying. my experience has taught me that they always see you first but they hurry behind a bush or sappling real quick then peak through to see where and what you are before they take off for good. listening for this scurrying is key to finding them and making a quick kill. glassing can be good if you find a place to where you can see a very shaded spot with water, deadfall, and berries at any time of day.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom