Out of state - advice please

Mae

Hi folks!
My husband and I have found ourselves in an unfortunate situation and I’m hoping that there’s someone out there that might be willing to offer us some advice.
Here's our situation:
My husband bought an out of state deer tag to go hunting with his friend of 25 years in Montana. (he has cancer)
His friend is a lifelong hunter in Idaho and Montana, and this was going to be their final hunting trip together.
However, due to the unfortunate situation his friend is in, he’s now unable to go or communicate how to hunt the planned hunting area. Apparently, the area that was going to be hunted, (the breaks) is too treacherous for the novice hunter, who does not know the area, etc.
We feel that the only thing to do is to keep the tag and to do the hunt in his honor.

Note: my husband has never hunted in Montana, and was only planning to go as a final experience/hunt with his friend.

We would like to hunt in an area that is more appropriate for our skill level and with the least amount of grizzly bear action. I’m sure that sounds laughable… but I had to throw that in there :)
We have hunted unit 27 in Idaho at least five times just to give you an idea of our capabilities.
If you’re familiar with that unit/area, you fly-in, wall, tent, technical train, etc.
We were thinking of hunting unit 331 in Montana?
Please – any advice would be greatly appreciated.
And good luck fellow hunters!

Unit 331 is not in “the breaks”, as I understand it, so you should probably try to clarify the area that you want to hunt. Although they may have been planning to hunt a specific area, your husband probably has a General Season deer tag that can be used in many other parts of the state. So that is another thing to check. I can’t really think of any area of the state with good deer habitat that is inherently too treacherous, but good judgment and preparedness is always necessary anywhere you go. In my mind, preparedness means you have enough gear to survive overnight and carry a Garmin InReach or some other emergency device that can reach emergency responders by satellite. Carry bear spray if you are in grizzly country, but not all of Montana and “the breaks” is grizzly country (yet anyways).

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom