Pack Suggestion

muleymaddness

Very Active Member
Looking for a new pack. It'll be primarily a day pack. I don't like big, heavy packs, but would like it to be able to haul meat or horns. I don't need it to be able to pack out an entire elk in one trip - I won't even be using it for elk. So what would you suggest? I would like it to be small, light, and able to pack a mule deer head in a load and meat in a couple loads. Size, weight, and packing ability are priorities and probably in that order of priority. Your suggestion?

I just picked up a Trailblazer II from Crooked Horn Outfitters, it's primarily a day pack but it has a pouch in the back where you can put a bow, rifle, or a head or ham if desired.

Best of Luck,
Jeff
http://www.elkmtngear.com

Buy once and be done! Kifaru Spike Camp, Late Season, or T3. You will be happy you did after the sticker shock.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-20-13 AT 11:50PM (MST)[p]+1 on Kifaru

I also suggest giving the Stone Glacier Approach a look.

I would have to agree with some of the comments above, the eberlestock X1A1 and X2 are an excellent choice. Both are built extremely well. The X1A1 will accomodate the rifle and bow hunter all in one, while the X2 can do the same with a couple of attachments..click on the links below to check out each one.

http://www.santanaoutdoors.com/servlet/the-336/Eberlestock-X1A1--Day/Detail

http://www.santanaoutdoors.com/servlet/the-547/Eberlestock-X2-Hunting-Backpack/Detail

Hope this helps you out, if you have any questions feel free to give us a shout. 928-978-6139. I have personally used both on a couple deer hunts and they do a nice job.

Eric Santana
www.SantanaOutdoors.com
"Premium Hunting Gear"

Thanks for the suggestions. I just checked out the X1A1 on the website. It looks pretty ideal for what I'm looking for.

How does the X1A1 do in the case of hauling a head out if need be? Muley that is....

Since this thread got brought to the top. I have an X2, but just got a KUIU 1850 last week. I'm giving my X2 to my wife. The 1850 is sweet. I will mostly use it without the frame, just the aluminum stays, then add the frame for the load sling when I am hunting so I can bring out meat.

Grizzly

PS. Tristate, please be an adult and respect my wishes that you do not respond to any of my posts. I, in turn, will do you the courtesy of not responding to any of yours. I simply do not wish to converse with you.

Grizzly,

My X2 was stolen recently and I was getting ready to replace it, but I to have been looking at the Icon 1850 as well. Could you tell me what you liked about it in comparison to the X2 pack. I really liked my X2, but after looking at the Icon I am really up in the air.

Thanks

For starters, I use an angled 80mm spotter and had to use the wing pockets on the X2 since they didn't fit on the side hydration pockets which would allow easier access. This made it a pain to get the scope/tripod in and out with four buckles to undo every time. The main compartment was just one big hole and everything got stuffed at the bottom. It is difficult to get the X2 cinched tight to your back with everything at the bottom and it was tough to find what I wanted.

I also had the butt bucket for my bow and side-scabbard for my rifle. I hated the scabbard because it pulled so hard on the shoulder strap on that side of the pack and threw the balance off. The butt bucket worked great until you took your pack off and set it down to glass, then it took two people to stand up without your bow tipping out. I liked the quick access to my bow, but ultimately just carried it while hunting anyway.

The real kicker for me was hauling a 120 pound bear skull/hide out of some super-nasty stuff this spring and how uncomfortable it was. (I know the X2 isn't necessarily designed for this, but I like the multi-use function of a meat hauler/daypack.)

The 1850 has been tested to 150 pounds, and is the same frame/suspension as KUIU uses on the 5200 and 7200 packs, so I am confident it can support more weight than I should ever be hauling and will do it more comfortably than the X2. The load sling is awesome, whether using it to haul camping gear or meat.

The 1850 fits my spotting scope in the front pocket and I can put my tripod in the stuff-it pocket with compression straps to hold it in. I can then put my rifle in the other side if I want. My bow will attach with the compression straps and be more secure and almost as accessible as with the X2.

The 1850 fits unbelievably comfortably. The frame and belt is perfectly stiff, it is like wearing a custom-made back brace. It works so well with normal daypack weights (about 20 pounds) that I can often feel the hip belt pivot so much the shoulder straps totally lift off my shoulders while leaning over to scramble up steep hills. It puts all the weight on my hips and the lumbar pad is very comfortable.

The interior pockets are perfect for keeping seldom-used items separate from the rest of your pack (filters, game-care, 1st Aid).

I don't like the waist belt pouches that I ordered separately, but I am skinny and maybe somebody built bigger than I would not have their forearms rub like I do.

The most noticeable thing is that putting on the 1850 is like putting on a fine suit. It just feels better than my X2. I can't really describe it more than just a general feeling of quality.

PS. Since my last post, I have put the carbon frame back on the pack. I decided for the few ounces that it added, I might as well just get used to wearing it like I will while hunting. I don't know if it would change the way it fits or not, but I might as well just keep it the way I will hunt with it.

I know it is more expensive than the X2, but I haven't even half-regretted it.

Grizzly

PS. Tristate, please be an adult and respect my wishes that you do not respond to any of my posts. I, in turn, will do you the courtesy of not responding to any of yours. I simply do not wish to converse with you.

Thanks for the input. Have you tried packing much weight without the carbon frame? My plan was to just purchase it with the suspension system at this point (which is the same price of a new X2) and if I felt the need for the carbon frame, purchasing it at a later date.

I packed about 10-15 pounds with only the included aluminum stays (no carbon frame) and it packed great. I haven't carried more than that. Sorry.

I bet some of the guys on the KUIU forum could tell you more about it.

Grizzly

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom