Packing list??

Cookie2

Very Active Member
Well, it's almost time and as usual I ain't even close to ready! My ibex hunt starts in 11 days and I learned a couple of things last year so I'm pretty pumped. I'm looking for ideas from all on here as to what you would be taking up on the rock to make this hunt successful.
My plan is to stay on the rock for three days then come down for a night in a real bed, take a shower, get a real meal, etc.. then head back up(if needed!) for three more days. I learned last year that hiking up every day will kill you so that's why this plan. I've never been the extreme roughit kinda guy but I think this hunt demands it. Anyway, I'm seeking input as to what you guys would have in your packs to keep from being too miserable for three days or heaven forbid driven off the mountain. I'm flying solo on this one so weight is an issue. The truck will only be an hour and a half away so EVEYRTHING is not needed. So....how about it?

Good luck Cookie.Gonna be headed up there on the muzzy hunt.
With my little bro hes the one with the tag.Pressures on him.
Gonna try doing 2 days up one down.Hope you stick a good one.
When your list is complete let me know what was helpful and
what was not.I heard a 99 cent carmex is a must.Good luck and be safe

Make a plan/map to give the wife or a good buddy incase something was to go wrong. Phone/two-way radio or some way to call for help if needed. Bivy tent, sleep bag, water/ or purifer, freeze dried food/packaged noodles, oatmeal,candy bars matches,2 lighters, saw/ hatchet,gps/maps/compass,couple changes of clothes,rain suit.To name a few.

I would get a friend or someone to help you set up your spike camp, and make it comfortable! Trade a favor or pay someone! You are not getting any younger, and you never know when your last adventure might be. Make the most of it!

Check out the link, and search dyi pack list.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/cgi-b..._thread&om=7652&forum=DCForumID12&archive=yes

I hadn't put lip balm or pain relievers on the list yet but they're on it now!! That's why I started thid thread. There is going to be something that I miss and have to come down for and that is what I'm trying to avoid. Thanks for the replies and keep 'em coming.

Are you going it alone on purpose? I'm sure we can get someone from down here to go with you for safety sake...

DC

Luckless,
Yeah it's by design. It seems like every hunt I go on somone else tags along. Don't worry about the safety thing as I went last year and again with my cousin in September. (see ibex youth hunt in this forum) I won't even attempt the silly things stinkystomper was doing on that one!! It's only as dangerous as you care to make it. I think the only thing I may have to worry about is a big kitty maybe. Those critters are as wary as any creature I have ever seen and I think two people would just be double the noise and movement to be spotted. Thanks for the offer though.

I have an Idea of the next time I draw that hunt to take a blind as my tent. two birds. place in a well used escape route or an area that the goats will be close to in the morning. sleep in it at night wake up and hang in the blind for a while. if nothing comes by take a hike around to see what you can get into. I found that it is easier to get close from above them. there will be some folks pushing them around so try and find a spot to hang out under cover. take a 6-1 jacket good for night but can strip a lay off when i warms up. light weight food i like the mountain house stuff and a samll ozark seasoning shaker from wal mart. you may have to make two trips just for the water. I hope this helps and keep us updated on the hunt.

I actually thought of that but I just can't see carrying a 30 pound blind up there! I bought one of those cabelas bivy tents and at 3.5 pounds it leaves me more room for water which is going to be the biggest problem. Taking a piece of camo material to stretch between two trees, rocks, bushes, whatever I can find and basically wait them out in an escape route like you say. Where can I find this mountain house stuff?

sportsmens ware house or wal mart. for the mountain house It would real be best if you could get one other person cause if you get one your going to have to make two trips anyway. besides if you had someone willing to hang out on the bottom they could spot for youo and guid you in. that is the most effective way to kill one with a bow. just carry a radio for coms and get after it.

Curtis, take a digital camera, pillow cases so you can take a load down, bivy sack is a good way to go if it does not rain. Snow is okay with those.
If you are gonna be in a blind you will need warm clothes. It could get real cold up there.
If its real cold you can use your bag up to your waist in your blind.

Now Paul, I thought you knew I don't leave home without the camera. I might forget to put the memory card back in it but the cam is always present! I don't have a bivy bag but the tent. I probably should have gotten one of those but can't see going that extreme yet. Might come to that though. I know a guy who stayed up there with them last year with only his jacket. He said it was a miserable night but he made it. The temps on weatherdotcom showing 60s and 30 so shouldn't be too bad

Curtis, that looked to be a 5lb camera. I was thinking borrowing a small digital.

I bet the tops of those peaks will get colder than 30. The more comfortable you are the more you will be able to focus on hunting.

One thought, is if they get spooked most goats, wild sheep go uphill.

Cold weather underamour will be a life saver for you, Take a UA skullcap it really helps at night keeps your head warm and that in turns keeps you warm. Extra SOCKs are a must so you can keep changing them as they get a little wet at least two pair so you can rotate them. Light gloves with some meduim ones just a touch larger if it gets to cold you can double them up(rubber gloves for dressing out). Take Water in ahead of time and it will be waiting for you and you can never have enough water.

I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded.

Paul,
ITS NOT THAT HEAVY!!! These goats always go uphill.
Gator,
I you go much further than a mile on this hill you'll be on the other side. I just hope most do what they did last year and try to road hunt them! It won't be too long before they realize that it ain't gonna happen and go home. Already have about four pairs of socks in the pack.

Then it should be a good hunt for you.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom