Paying a Guide?

CABugle

For those of you who have ever done a guided hunt, or for those of you who guide is paying the guide with a check acceptable? I'm sure that most would prefer cash, however I do not like to carry a lot of cash with me. This is my first guided hunt and I'm just trying to figure everything out before I leave, for all I know this my be a very dumb question! Any help is great.

Thanks, CABugle

No personal checks. Too many of them bounce these days.

Get a cashiers, bring the cash, or send your personal check 3 weeks in advance so they can cash it and make sure it's good.

Whats the big deal with taking the cash with you? We have hunters show up with wads of cash in hundreds and pay for the entire hunt. Had a couple of guys from Hungary roll in a few years back that paid us in cash over $10K. They still had a roll that would tip over a mule when they left. They didn't seem to mind packing a little cash. Outfitters sure like the green better than the checks, I'll guarantee that.

DeerBeDead

DeerBeDead
I'm pretty sure he wasn't worried about taking cash because its to heavy. Not sure whether your post was sarcastic or not.

"blaming guns for violence is like blaming spoons for Rosie O'donnell being fat."

LAST EDITED ON Nov-11-09 AT 05:50PM (MST)[p]Are you talking about the hunt cost or tip? If hunt cost, and you're going to make your final payment in person at the time of the hunt, I'd do it with a cashiers check or money order. If you pay ahead of time, I'd think a check is acceptable. I paid my entire hunt cost (excluding tip) with a personal check. BUT, I paid the final amount due on my hunt in Aug and my hunt is mid November. I bring cash for tips and incidentals.

Sorry guys, maybe I should have made myself more clear, I am paying a guide per day, so I am not sure of the cost before hand.

Thanks, CABugle

CA, take a cashier check (or a debit card would be even better because you don't have to pay a service charge for them to issue a cashier check, etc)and when you settle up with your guide,if able run to town and get cash only for the amount you need and have them give you the balance back in a check.

I think your concern is about accidently losing the money instead of being robbed. I lost $600 in 100's one time, it only takes once.

Joe E Sikora

We require that the hunt be paid in full before arriving. Paying by check is fine. A tip with a check is fine also. I would assume that a person paying that kind of money for a hunt will also care about his bank account as well. I have been pain by check many times (including tips) and I have never had a problem. The other thing that comes to mind of an outfitter that only wants cash is not having to claim those funds on taxes. Don't worry about it CA.

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom