Permission troubles

stevie

This year I packed the truck and went on an exploratory waterfowl hunt around Roswell. I hunted Bitter Lakes and the Bottomless Lakes overflow wetlands. Those places were not that great. Too many hunters.

Anyway, after the morning hunts I spent significant time finding the fields the cranes were feeding in and seeking permission to hunt those fields with decoys. Noone would give me that permission.

When I was in school at Texas Tech, I did the same thing for cranes and received permission everytime I asked.

Was I just unlucky or is that the norm in the Pecos Valley? I would love to try again because the cranes were everywhere.

Standard MO here in NM, based on my experience.

Only time I've ever been granted permission is for javelina; apparently some landowners hate them enough to let people on property on occasion. But any other big game...no way. Never tried for birds, but doensn't surprise me.

Went down south this November to do some Coues and hog hunting. When asked for permission to hunt ferral hogs on the ranch(there a nuisence and destroy everything) the ranch hand said "nope the LO brings his cronies and wont let anyone on the property".Those were the Aire's the Anhiesher Busch. Since then I havent bought one budweiser.

I don't even bother with it--if I owned a bunch of huntable land, I wouldn't let someone that looks like me hunt it either...

LAST EDITED ON Jan-18-11 AT 06:11PM (MST)[p]I wonder if its NM or if times have changed. I mentioned that I always got permission to hunt cranes (and geese and ducks) around Lubbock. That was 15 years ago.

I remember deer hunting a couple of ranches NE of Cooke's Peak in 89, 90 and 91. My Dad paid a $40 trespass fee for each of us. It was pretty good hunting too.

I had a different experience a couple of weeks ago. I was down in 30 and went a couple days early to scout. I was driving out in the middle of nowhere and turned a corner and saw a house. I couldn't believe there was a house way out where I was. Any way I drive up and knock on the door and met the property owner. Turns out the whole area I was driving around was private and I had no idea. This guy takes me in his house and I meet the whole family! He continues to give me the layout of the ranch, tells me where I can camp and even stopped to check on me one day since I was solo. It was a great experience.

Dont think it just NM. I was in Colorado for Thanksgiving and wanted to go shoot prairie dogs. I stopped at several ranches and got excuses from there my pets to Im going to try and kill them with weasels. So I packed up and went back to the house.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom