Photographing and video

B

bullwidgeon

I want to try to get pictures of coues in the rut this year in January since I am worthless with a bow. My question is if any of you do this or any wildlife photography what do you use? Is there anyway I can get pictures through my binos(15x Swarovskis)? I have never tried it with my current digital camera because it doesn't have a through the lens view so I can not tell what I am getting a picture of. It also has no built in zoom so things have to be very close I have gotten pictures of mulies before but it was because I called them right in with a predator call. Freak accident, in that case.
Ed, I know you have gotten pics of live deer before, what do you use? Anyways I was wondering if anyone had any insights on this for me, the rut is approaching fast... Thanks guys. I have gotten video of sheep before with a video camera but they were the semi-tame ones at Morenci open pit.
Bret Mattausch

My best pictures came from a Pentax SLR camera with a 500 mm lens. It was the shits to pack around, film was expensive and the camera needed to be sent out for repair twice a year at a $100 minimum shop fee. It took some killer pictures but I've since gone to a video camera with a 22X optical lens. Pictures aren't magazine quality but I got tired of trying to compete with guys taking their coues deer shots at the Sonoran Museum. No points given to wild deer.

Here's the problems you will encounter:
1- High quality pictures require lots of light and low speed film. I shot transparentcies and they are tough to expose. Shooting roll after roll to get one picture got expensive. I had the best results with Kodachrome 64.
2- A heavy tripod is a requirement to shooting with a 500 mm lens. These cheap ones used to glass off of don't cut it. That is a lot of weight to pack around.
3- Coues are hard to pattern and hard to get close to. At less than 50 yards the frame still isn't full and you only get one shot as the shutter noise scares them. Frusteration is getting close, taking the picture and waiting for a week to find out that the damn thing is blury. My lens wasn't autofocus and that would have helped but the money wasn't available to purchase one.

Sheep are another matter. The ones by Glenwood are very photogenic. I put a sneak on them by the hotsprings once and got so close I had to switch from the 500 to the 200 and then to the 130 lenses. It was butt-puckering when the biggest ram turned on me and showed the whites of his eyes. I knew that meant to back off sucker. It was a funny thing watching 4 rams kick each other in the balls. They'd move in from behind each other and then with a stiff front leg kick the guy in the nuts. Sheep nuts are a huge target and it made me sore just watching.

Good luck and post some of your test shots.

Ed, www.swhounds.com

Thanks Ed,
The video camera I have access to now has 22 power optical zoom and worked great for the sheep. I didnt get to see any nut kicking but it sounds funny, rams can be cantakerous individuals!!!
I am thinking about investing in a new digital still camera with TTL capability and 20-24 power combined optical and digital zoom. I can understand the frustration of hoping film turms out. I have snapped pics in the past that I thought would be great only to get back blurry pics of mystery animals. As a result I would like to stick to digital. I have packed those heavy Bogen tripods around before and was hoping there was some other way, the cheapies for glassing won't support the video camera now especially in any sort of wind. As soon as I get some shots this will be the first place they get tested at ;-)

Bret Mattausch

I don't really have any suggestions as to what to do with a video camera, but I've used my spotting scope with a 35mm camera with some good success.

I have the Bushnell Spacemaster scope. If you look in the camera supply stores, even on-line, you will find an adapter that will mount your camera onto a scope. It doesn't have to be a Bushnell because they make several different adapters to fit other brands. The adapters are relatively cheap.

I can't remember what it actually makes the scope into but its something like a 1000mm lense. Ed is correct, when you do that you have to have adjust the shutter speed down, which takes alot of light to make the pix come out. If you get the adapter, it will come with instructions on how to change the shutter speed and film settings.

I have, on two occasions, simply held the 35mm camera up to the scope, focused, and taken a pix. Not magazine quality but you can tell what you are looking at.

Just food for thought.......

Ghost Hunter

Brett, I would like to know more about this as well. I plan on spending a day or two in Mexico just picture taking. I know rut will be in full swing, so I was hoping to get some good video. Let me know what you decide on..... Thanks, Allen Taylor....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom